Naming a Girl 'Rhys'

RJsMum

Mommy of RJ
Reaction score
When our son was born, DH vetoed every one of my suggestions until he mentioned the name 'Ryan' and it just had such a ring to it with our chosen middle name 'Joseph' that there was no doubt THAT was the name we would use.

Fast forward 3.5 years later and hubby has been totally disinterested in discussing names. He even said to me at one point that "since HE named our son, I could name our little girl." It frustrated me more because this is a joint decision and I want him to be a part of it.

One night last week I was talking to a friend on FB who has a son called Rhys the same age as our Ryan. I got to thinking about his name and thought to myself that I really liked the name and even liked that spelling for a girl! My mom had passed away when I was 16 and her middle name was Lynn...I even thought that Rhys Lynn looked quite pretty and although the spelling was masculine, I still felt a girl could pull it off -- a bit bold, but still respectable, I think.

Problem now...hubby hates it. :shrug: He said he doesn't mind a more feminine spelling but thinks 'R-h-y-s' will get her teased in school. (I'm a teacher, btw, and several of my teaching friends LOVE the name and think it could work.)

I'm so torn! I've never had a name just stick with me like this one has and I really, REALLY like it.

So, how do I convince him or how do I accept an alternate spelling when my heart is so set? Also, kids get teased for so many things...is her name something that's really going to cause her problems living in England? I suppose I just think it's a strong choice for a female name.

I personally like that name. She'll be a strong person with that name. Tell DH give it a week and keep using the name aloud. Make sure he's completely fine with hearing the name. And tell him who cares about the spelling. Honestly I don't think most kids would catch on that the spelling was masculine until Jr. High or later. I know as a kid I didn't care how you spelt your name as long as I knew your name and had fun with you. Besides, not to be mean but a realistic, she could easily be teased about something about just her personality or appearance. I have sat here for a few minutes trying to think of those that did bully kids in school what they bullied about. Usually it was jealousy or appearance, but I can't think of a time it was due to a name. I'd try to stand your ground on it. At least you're careful and not named your kid with the initials A.S.S Now that one got teased a little, but um...it's so obvious. Rhys I don't think is obvious for name teasing.

This is what I mean. I was teased relentlessly as a kid and it was for dumb stuff that I had no control over, like being short or having a big nose or a big head (so I was told). In the end my mom helped me understand that people who tease people badly only do it because there is something about themselves they don't like, so they just want to try and bring me down too.

I think the name will give her strength and maybe a bit more respect in the workforce when she's older.

One of my good friends name is Rhys and she's a girl. She doesn't get teased for her name, and she's probably one of the coolest girls I know. I don't see any problem with it personally.

My friend has a daughter called Rhyse (with an e on the end to make it look girlie apparently) but it really suits her and when people say it they won't ask her to spell it every time it's not different to calling a girl Jamie or a boy casey in my opinion x

I like the name but then when I said it out loud with the middle name, it sounded a bit like Riesling. Then again, it's not like she's going to introduce herself as Rhys Lynn, just Rhys, which is very cute. :)

I like the name but then when I said it out loud with the middle name, it sounded a bit like Riesling. Then again, it's not like she's going to introduce herself as Rhys Lynn, just Rhys, which is very cute. :)

That's a wine, isn't it? Haha.

Rhys was my #1 choice for a girl's name for a loooonnng name and I totally love it. I had a friend named Rees in high school and no one ever mad fun of her to my knowledge.

But then I married a Japanese man and when you write Rhys in Japanese it translates to 'squirrel' so that was immediately vetoed for obvious reasons :(

I really, really like it! I am having the same problem with my dh. I really like McKinley, but he says it is too masculine. But I think it sounds strong. I am still hoping he will come around. I think I may need to liquor him up and ask him...

I have a friend called Dale. I don't even think of the fact that her name can be a boys name too. It's not an obvious boys name like Steve for Dave. You know?

But I do think you'll have to get hubby on board. Hopefully after hearing it a bit, and maybe reading this thread...he'll come around :) Just remind him of what a cutie Reese Witherspoon is ;)

Riesling! Yum :)

I like the name a lot, it was on my girls name list. I've never heard of it as a boys name just as a girls name spelled Reese. I'd probably spell it as Reese but either way is fine.

I think its a beautiful name and honestly, I've never heard of that name for a boy. If anything I would say its too feminine for a boy. I think the spelling is quite feminine too.

I had the name picked out for a girl with my first son!

Go for it!

Everyone spells names how they want these days.

Even though its not the girly version its still the same name!

To me it will always be a boys name! I'd never heard of Rhys with any spelling be anything other than a boys name or a surname until I saw a Reese Witherspoon film and then I wondered why she had a male name! To be honest there are a fair few Welsh boys names that sound quite feminine- Taliesin and Pryderi come to mind immediately!

If you really love the name then you should use it! If she isn't so keen on her first name when she's older then there's nothing to stop her using her middle name! :)

Beca :wave:

Love Rhys for a boy or girl..its my sons name :) but he has a girl in his class at school called Reece-Ella. Pronounced exactly the same way. Everyone seems to shorten it and just call her Reece xx

My friend has a daughter called Rhyse (with an e on the end to make it look girlie apparently) but it really suits her and when people say it they won't ask her to spell it every time it's not different to calling a girl Jamie or a boy casey in my opinion x

I was going to suggest this using an E makes it a non-masculine name or there is Reece or Reese which are more unisex

I love the sound of Wayne as a middle name for a girl, we tried using Wynn I love the look and name but it didn't feel right without the 'a' sound, I made a list including:

Wayen
Wayan
Waynn
Wayene

I let my OH pick so now we are considering Waynne

I have a friend called Dale. I don't even think of the fact that her name can be a boys name too. It's not an obvious boys name like Steve for Dave. You know?

But I do think you'll have to get hubby on board. Hopefully after hearing it a bit, and maybe reading this thread...he'll come around :) Just remind him of what a cutie Reese Witherspoon is ;)

I think Dale is as masculine as Dave really

I like the name Rhys for a boy, the spelling isn't odd to me as I am from Wales and tbh I know of lots of Rhys' in England anyways. But it just isn't a name I would associate with a girl, if Rhys was an important name to me I might consider it as a middle name for a girl, but not a first name.

I really, really like it! I am having the same problem with my dh. I really like McKinley, but he says it is too masculine. But I think it sounds strong. I am still hoping he will come around. I think I may need to liquor him up and ask him...

I got my dh to agree to my name while he was watching the footie! He would have agreed to anything, he was so focused on the tv. I had been trying to convince him for weeks!

I like the name Rhys but with that spelling people will always assume she is a boy/man when reading it. It might get a bit annoying for her. Since you wanted your dh to make a joint decision with you, maybe you could compromise and go for Reese?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->