Naming baby the same name as my sister (baby's auntie)

Kmx

Reaction score
Would this be a bit strange?

I have two sisters. One of their names I quite like & could potentially use it for my daughter. However would this be a bit strange (for my sister & daughter?) would this cause too much confusion?

The name is Heather & so can't really be shortened or doesn't have a nickname.

I'm not sure.... But I do really like this name & if my sister wasn't called it I would definetly be considering it as a strong possibility.

I don't think it's strange at all, it's a lovely name too x

I would think it was pretty strange. I don't have a sister, but I have a brother and I wouldn't consider using it for my children. I don't even consider cousins names or aunts or uncles either. If someone in the family already has the name I don't use it. Maybe as a middle name but not a first.

I dont think its strange but would your other sister maybe be a bit miffed?

I don't think it is weird. My sister has the same name as my aunt. My mom didn't name my sister after the aunt, she just liked the name so she decided to use it too.

I do think it's a little strange if it's not a direct nod to the person whose name you're giving. If you were like "I love my sister and want to name my child after her" then I'd say that's normal but if it's just a case of liking the name and not necessarily wanting to honour her then it does strike me as a bit odd. I considered using a name of one of my aunts for my LO but I was never close with her and felt weird about the connection because people might think I named her after her, you know? I guess if you're close with your sister and wouldn't mind people assuming that you named your LO after her then it wouldn't matter much.

I also had the same thought as the PP that your other sister might take it as a slight, though.

If I was the sister whom you wanted your child to be named after I would be honored and not think its odd at all, however if I was the other sister I would feel a bit put out and probably think it was odd, this could just be the jealous side of me coming through though :wacko:

However Heather is a lovely name :flower:

I love Heather. I personally wouldn't name a child after a living relative though, because I think it can have lots of unforeseen consequences (other sister is disappointed/mad, sister does something stupid or hurtful down the line and you regret the connection etc). I don't think it's "weird" though, kids are quite often named after parents or grandparents after all.
Total left field suggestion: how about Erica? Means "heather". :)

I don't think it is strange. One of my brothers is called James and I really like the name and was almost going to call the baby I am currently carrying James but DH doesn't really like it so we didn't in the end.

I don't think it's strange but are you sure your other sister won't feel a bit put out?
I have three sisters and would never name one of mine after them for that reason :)

I don't think it's strange. One of my friends named her daughter the same name as her sister, but she did only have the one sister though.

I think its only strange because you have two sisters. If you only had the one sister, I wouldn't think it strange.

I personally wouldn't do it myself.

I think its only strange because you have two sisters. If you only had the one sister, I wouldn't think it strange.

I personally wouldn't do it myself.

This. If I was the other sister I'd be really upset. Otherwise Heather is lovely.

I think it really depends on family dynamics. If there's any chance the other sister would be hurt, or even your parents (by feeling protective), then I'd say it's dicey. And it seems highly likely that there's a chance someone's feelings are hurt.

I personally think naming a baby after someone you love and admire (family member or not) is a wonderful thing to do! We will probably do that if and when we get to that point. But just reusing a name because you think it's pretty may not be a strong enough reason to do so, based on the hard feelings it might cause. There's a universe of names to choose from, you may need to keep looking.

Using Heather as a middle name wouldn't cause quite so much fuss, perhaps you could do that?

I have two sisters, and if one of them named a baby the same as my other sister I really wouldn't care and would not be upset about it or feel 'left out'. I'm actually surprised at how many people would feel bad if they were the other sister, it's just about the name not about the person. It's not as though she likes the one sister better and that is why she is choosing that name for her baby, it's just the name that she likes.

I don't see why one sister would be upset? shes naming the baby because she likes the name, not because she's naming her after one sister and not the other. It wouldn't bother me at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->