Naming the baby after someone

For a long time we were convinced it was a boy and were probably going to name him after DH's dad and my grandpa (both deceased). But, it's a girl so we are going with Valldis Pegg. My moms name is Peggy Sue and so the middle name is after her but we altered it to Pegg for two reasons. One is that Peggy Sue just didn't flow with our last name and the second is that we are weird about naming after the living so we feel that the slight alteration still honors my mom but doesn't rob her of her 'life energy' or whatever either since it's technically a different name. I have no idea where we got that superstition from. :shrug: Of course, everyone in my family hates the name we picked out so I am not so sure how honored my mom actually feels :haha:

For a long time we were convinced it was a boy and were probably going to name him after DH's dad and my grandpa (both deceased). But, it's a girl so we are going with Valldis Pegg. My moms name is Peggy Sue and so the middle name is after her but we altered it to Pegg for two reasons. One is that Peggy Sue just didn't flow with our last name and the second is that we are weird about naming after the living so we feel that the slight alteration still honors my mom but doesn't rob her of her 'life energy' or whatever either since it's technically a different name. I have no idea where we got that superstition from. :shrug: Of course, everyone in my family hates the name we picked out so I am not so sure how honored my mom actually feels :haha:

How did you come to valldis? I'm curious every time I see your sig. Sorry your fam doesn't like the name, we're keeping our girl name secret for that reason lol

How did you come to valldis? I'm curious every time I see your sig. Sorry your fam doesn't like the name, we're keeping our girl name secret for that reason lol

It's an old Scandinavian/Germanic name, very Viking era. If you break it down 'Vald' is a German word for Forest (technically Wald I think but still pronounced with the V sound) and 'dis' means goddess in something Scandinavian (DH is the Northern mythology/history buff, not me). So it fit the bill since it was unique, and the rough translation of forest godess appealed to me since I really wanted Forest for a boys name but DH couldn't get over the Forest Gump movie :dohh: ...plus, it's a 'strong' name and we like that. And I like V's for some silly reason :haha: We are changin up the spelling though so the Americans can have an easier time pronouncing it correctly so we are going with Valldis (instead of Valdis).

It doesn't bother us at all if anyone likes it or not, my sister named her son Theodore and we all teased her because of the Chipmunk cartoons so fair is fair. Only my weird hippie cousin who is my 'life twin' likes it :D

Nice! I really like the meaning and def a really strong name! Good job!

I named my son after OH's uncle who passed away at 26 :hugs:

It's an old Scandinavian/Germanic name, very Viking era. If you break it down 'Vald' is a German word for Forest (technically Wald I think but still pronounced with the V sound) and 'dis' means goddess in something Scandinavian (DH is the Northern mythology/history buff, not me). So it fit the bill since it was unique, and the rough translation of forest godess appealed to me since I really wanted Forest for a boys name but DH couldn't get over the Forest Gump movie :dohh: ...plus, it's a 'strong' name and we like that. And I like V's for some silly reason :haha: We are changin up the spelling though so the Americans can have an easier time pronouncing it correctly so we are going with Valldis (instead of Valdis).

It doesn't bother us at all if anyone likes it or not, my sister named her son Theodore and we all teased her because of the Chipmunk cartoons so fair is fair. Only my weird hippie cousin who is my 'life twin' likes it :D

Also curious! How is it pronounced?

It rhymes with Wall (Vall) and Kiss (dis).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->