Natal hypnotherapy and sleeping!!

Munchkin30

1 DD,2 losses, Pregnant!!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm trying to listen to a natal hypnotherapy cd to help with pain but mainly relaxation during labour, but I keep falling asleep! I've got a 3 year old so it's hard to listen to it that regularly but I've tried every time of day and I can't help it, in moments I can actually hear myself snoring!! They could be telling me I'm a monkey for all I know. Will it still help/work??

Thanks all xxx

Yes it will, there is a bit on the cd where is says don't worry if you fall asleep as your unconscious will take in everything it's saying.

Do you have an exercise ball? I find that if I leave it til the evening to listen then I fall asleep so I've started sitting on the ball so I can't.

I am doing hypnobabies home study. In the literature, it says if you fall asleep you should still hear it and it be effective, but it did offer tips on staying awake for full benefit. I'm not sure how your program is structured, but it should work the same way?

I drift in and out of sleep sometimes.

Thanks ladies - dom I was obviously already asleep for that bit!! The exercise ball is a good idea, I'll try it. Hope I don't end up in a and a after falling asleep on it!!

Yes mispris I think it does say that in the book that it's good to stay awake or at least listen once awake so you can hear it properly!!

I do self hypnosis a lot and apparently it works fine if you fall asleep as you still take in what you hear.

Thanks ladies - dom I was obviously already asleep for that bit!! The exercise ball is a good idea, I'll try it. Hope I don't end up in a and a after falling asleep on it!!

Yes mispris I think it does say that in the book that it's good to stay awake or at least listen once awake so you can hear it properly!!

Maybe by the time you listen to it when you're in labour you will be so used to falling asleep that you sleep right through the contractions lol, you can always hope!

Maybe by the time you listen to it when you're in labour you will be so used to falling asleep that you sleep right through the contractions lol, you can always hope!

Yeah that'll be what'll happen!! I'll wake up with a baby in my arms saying 'oho is it all over?? I dreamt I farted out a rainbow!!'

That's completely fine and normal. I would lie down and be comfortable and let yourself sleep if you fall asleep. No need to try to stay awake or sit on an exercise ball. More than likely, you actually aren't asleep. You're just in a really deep state of relaxation. Do you wake up when it's over? Or do you keep sleeping for a couple hours? I almost always felt like I fell asleep when I did it. But I always woke up at the end when they bring you back up out of relaxation or just after. The whole point of hypnotherapy is that it's creating subconscious relaxation triggers (which are obviously working, so that's a good thing). You don't have to even be awake for that to happen, so even if you were actually asleep (even though you probably aren't), that's completely fine. Your brain is still learning to relax when triggered to do so even if you're sleeping as long as you're still listening to the track. Like I said, I nearly always felt like I fell asleep when I practiced, yet when it came to labour, it worked just fine. I was completely relaxed. Felt very little pain (only truly painful bit was the cervical check) and didn't need any pain relief except for a TENS. It works. You just have to try not to overthink it. Just practice, practice, practice, and don't worry if you think you're falling asleep.

What they said :thumbup: I always fall asleep listening to the relaxation from my hypnobirthing classes. I've read, like the others, that it's totally fine. Even when you're drifting away you still hear it (well, you subconsciously hear it at least)
Just last night something woke me up before the relaxation was over and I heard her saying some stuff I've never heard before. Kinda made me laugh :haha:

And yes, let's sleep through labor! Hahahah!

I've not started listening to my CD yet, as it only arrived this morning, but I read the booklet this morning and mine says not to worry if you feel like you're falling asleep because sometimes self-hypnosis can feel like being asleep and you may not remember what you heard and feel as though you woke up at the end but its ok. It also says that even if you do fall asleep and wake up later that's ok too and your subconscious will still take it in.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->