Natural birth after c-section

jolyn

Mam to 2, 1 of each
Reaction score
Hi girls, I was just wondering if anyone had gone on to have a natural birth after a c-section on a previous PG. I know it's early to start really worrying about this, but I want to set my mind on what I want to do.

With DS I was in labour for 36 hours, 5 of which was pushing, he was back to back and was given an emergency cesarean in the end as there was meconium in my waters and he was starting to get distressed. During the first part of my labour I was fine, mostly walking around and using gas and air. I then had a pethadine injection for me to get some rest. After this the midwifes swapped shifts and I had the midwife from hell with me. I barely saw her - she made me lie down and when I wanted to get back up she said 'No, I'm not catching this baby off the floor'!!!!

Anyway, I felt totally neglected for the rest of the birth and she did nothing at all to help - it was only after me screaming at DH to get more help as I knew it wasn't right that a doctor and pediatric team came in - they did their best to help me push but by this point I was just too exhausted and I was taken down to theatre.

I have been told due to failure to progress that I will probably have to have a planned c-section this time, but there is something in my mind questioning if things are different this time, would I be able to go through with a natural birth. I can't see how they can say it was failure to progress last time as I had progressed into 5 hours of pushing, how much further is there to progress????

I don't know what to think - anyway had any similar experiences? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Its safe to try a natural birth after one section, but you will be monitored carfully and the first sign of anything, they will whisk you off.
Its never to early to think about the birth, this a big thing that needs alot of consideration, esspecially in this situation.
Talk to your midwife about it, tell her what you want, she will be able to advise you on whats best for you, as she will be able to consider your notes.

It is totally possible. How one labour went does not have anything to do with how the next one will be. Every labour is different.

Good luck - you can do this.

I'm not surprised you failed to progress after an experience like that! Flat on your back is one of the worst ways to labour when the baby is back to back. Don't let anyone push you into a c-section, having a vaginal birth after a c-section (VBAC) has been proven to be safer for both mother and baby. The risk of rupture (which is what they monitor for) is 0.5%, you can even have a home birth if that's what you want (that's what I'll be going for next time.

See if you can get a doula or another woman to be there for you as well (OHs can be too worried about you), this would enable you to have an active birth - moving about etc. Having an active labour makes it much easier for you to progress and reduces the risks of needing another c-section. One thing I would say, is don't let them make you lie down to be monitored, ask them to monitor you either standing or sitting, as once you're down it can be really hard to get up again.

Lastly, if I were you I'd be putting in a very strong complaint to both the hospital and the supervisor of midwives about that midwife you got. No one should ever be treated like that.

Thanks marley - I was thinking of a doula, but can't find any in my area at the moment.

I'm leaning more towards a natural birth now, I'm going to have a chat with my midwife at my next appointment.

At the time we were all set on putting in a complaint, but the original midwife who was with me came and had a chat and talked us out of it. I was upset by the whole experience for a good while after and took me ages to get back to my normal self. Afterwards I wish I had put a complaint in as there was a lot more that went on that we weren't happy about, but just want to forget about it now and focus on a nice normal delivery for the new baby.

Do your homework, if you and your birth partner(s) are educated about the facts you can avoid a lot of the scare tactics they often bring out. Having someone there (OH, mum etc) who is also educated about it all and can stand up for you when you're feeling vulnerable or disempowered can really help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->