Natural birth in obstetric led unit???

fifi-folle

C (7/11) & C (10/12)
Reaction score
Just looking for some opinions on what the chances are of managing a natural birth in the Obstetric Unit. I am on consultant led care due to 4 early losses and quite severe endo. I had been told at the start that I should be able to go into MLU but yesterday asked MW who checked my notes and apparently the junior doc I saw at booking put down Obs unit due to my scar tissue (tethered ovary, 2 laparoscopies, etc etc). I was really disappointed. I am so nervous about being in the Obs unit as I don't want any interventions unless absolutely necessary.
I am planning water birth (if the one pool is free), using natal hypnotherapy, breathing/positions from pregnancy yoga, massage etc I am just so scared that they are more likely to intervene in Obs unit rather than MLU (I had even been starting to think about homebirth but was told definite no this time!)

Do any of you have experience of natural birth in Obstetric led unit? Please reassure me!!!!!

Well there are no 'definite nos' when it comes to your choice to birth at home! They may advise you against it but it's absolutely YOUR choice to take that advice.

It's not impossible to have a natural birth in a consultant led environment but, as yiu pointed out, it can be much more difficult to avoid coming under pressure from them to agree to interventions. So if you feel it's the best place for you to give birth then it's important that those supporting you understand the type of birth you are wanting and are able to be strong advocates if that pressure is applied.
Arriving well into established labour will reduce the chances of intervention along with a clear birth plan that your birth partners understand and can ensure is followed as much as possible.
You could try to use home birth as coverage to get access to the MLU. It won't always work but if you say you're going to have a home birth if you can't use the MLU it mat be that they would prefer you there to home and may compromise.

I was going to suggest the same thing... Make sure that everyone knows exactly what you want and make sure they are going to stand up for you. You concentrate on your birth and let them deal with everything else :flower:

Thanks for your tips!
If I had been dead set on HB from beginning then I would probably push for MLU but as long as I get a natural birth with a healthy baby at the end of it I'll go anywhere I guess. My DH knows what sort of birth I want and is much more assertive than I am anyway. I'm just hoping I can leave it long enough before going in to avoid leaving time for them to be pushing an epidural on me or such like. Although it's a half hour drive to hospital. Leave it too long and I could end up with a HB anyway!!! :lol:
DH and I did a birth preparation class with my preg yoga teacher so he's pretty well informed on all the things I am planning and he said himself that he wants to be there to support me, keep me calm and make sure the birth goes to plan.

Still wondering if anyone on this section has been in the same position as me?

I was in a normal labour ward under a MW with OB checking in as LO was prem. I was never offered anything but G&A and had no intervention untill her heart rate started showing signes of distress so yes it is possible if you have the right MW and birth partners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->