Natural Birth?

where i live they is no gas and air, just epidurals or nothing...or c.

So looks like our choices are minimal!!!!:hissy:

Tinytoes ,what about atens machine or pethidine? Epidural or nothing seems a bit scarey.

i know!!!:wacko:
Yes might look into that tens idea.

This is just the way the Swiss seem to do things.. Crazy if you ask me..
But my doc has also suggested c section for me, so I'll wait and discuss it with him before I havea full blow panic !:rofl:

My mother had all 6 of us without any pain meds (5 out of 6 at home), and she had no problems. I was her first, and she had me in an apartment building at 2am, without any of the neighbors knowing! I decided a while ago that I am going without pain meds. I know everyone is different, but hell...if she can do it with 6, I could probably do it with 1.

I really really want to have a natural birth but Im such a weak person I cant take pain. I would just like to have gas and air I defo dont want epi......

I really really want to have a natural birth but Im such a weak person I cant take pain. I would just like to have gas and air I defo dont want epi......

the pain of labour is totally different to normal pain. Pain with a purpose :) You'll be fine, you can do anything if you put your heart to it.

My Mum had me and my sister naturally, and my aunt had all four of her children naturally. I intend on going natural, I am NOT having an epidural, there are too many horror stories flying around about it. If I needed it maybe I would settle for some other pain relief but definitely not an epi for me :)

For me, the choice was pretty much already made up because the hospital I'm going to doesn't have an anesthesiologist, so that means no epidurals for me. They do have a few other options, including laughing gas [gas and air], so I'm not all too worried.

When I think of giving birth, I do get a bit nervous but I think of it in the sense that you go through a few or more hours of pain, but you don't even remember it when your baby arrives. I'll take a few hours of pain for a lifetime of happiness with my child any day! :)

We can do this, ladies. It may be painful, but there's a reason why we're so strong. We have to force ourselves to continue knowing the outcome will be worth it. Good luck!

I'll take a few hours of pain for a lifetime of happiness with my child any day! :)

That is a great way to put it! May need to recite that to myself a few times over the new couple of weeks :)

GOT THIS OFF SOME WEBSITE
Benefits of Natural Childbirth
1. Mothers who labor naturally can move freely, go to the bathroom, walk and change positions throughout labor. According to the Cochrane Review, recent studies have shown that getting medication makes changing positions even after birth more difficult.
2. Since you can feel your body's reflexes in natural childbirth, mothers can push better and generally faster. In fact studies show that getting an epidural prolongs your pushing time.
3. The pain during labor serves a purpose by guiding the mother to seek certain positions. For example, if her back hurts, she will naturally seek positions off her back which can help to turn her baby. Having back pain is one sign that the baby might be posterior and needs to rotate.
4. Mothers often describe that their recovery after a natural childbirth was faster and easier since they could get right up and walk and shower. Usually they eat right away and their appetite is normal.
5. Endorphins secreted during a natural childbirth have been found in the placenta and umbilical cord. This may serve a purpose to help the baby adjust to life outside as well as make the journey more comfortable for baby.
6. Research has shown that in mothers who have natural childbirth, babies are more alert and show more interest in pre-breastfeeding behaviours such as sucking and massaging the mother's breasts, as well as the actual length of time they spend nursing within the first 90 minutes.

Benefits of Medicated Birth
1. Mothers who are having a very long labor can benefit from using pain medication to get some rest before the pushing stage.
2. If the mother is tensing up during contractions, pain medication can help her relax so that her body is not fighting against the labor.
3. If the mother has a lot of fear about birth or issues from her past, it may affect the progress of her labor. At times, medication may help to ease her anxiety.
Additional Thoughts:

Mothers have the ability to give birth naturally. Very often the things done or said to her inhibit her ability to do this very important job (i.e., restricting her movement, restricting food/fluids, lack of support or encouragement as well as a lack of non-medical pain relief techniques.)
Pain medication is a wonderful resource in very difficult and long labors when the mother simply has no energy left to birth her baby.
Pain medication, such as epidurals, carry with them hefty sacrifices and intervention such as restricting movement to bed, IV fluids and increasing her need for pitocin. Epidurals also increase the mother's need for instruments to be used such as vacuum extractors or forceps, since pushing is more difficult.
I very seldom have clients in my doula practice who have natural childbirth with a first baby, choose to use pain medication with the next birth. Once they have realized the benefits of natural childbirth, they do not tend to go back.
Pain medication solves one big problem - pain. However I wonder when we take the pain away, if we are also removing helpful feedback for the mother. (see #2 above - Benefits of Natural Birth) Is it not like a person who takes medication for headaches (ie.. treating the symptom) instead of finding out why they are getting headaches?
Though a woman is able to give natural birth it should never be used as a scale to judge the woman either as a person or as a mother. How she lives her life, treats others and raises her family tells us much more about who she is than whether or not she used pain medication in labor.
Evaluate for yourselves the benefits and downsides to both natural birth and medicated birth before you jump to any hasty conclusions.

I firmly believe that there are two valid sides to consider and that you should discuss this issue at length with your spouse or birthing partner, family, doula and primary provider as well as factor in the circumstances of your own labor before you decide.

Do you plan to have a natural or medicated birth?

HOPE THIS HELPS!!

Regards:baby:

Up untill I was 8cm dilated I had nothing at all (not by choice though :hissy:) Then I had gas and air for a few contractions untill I had to start pushing when they took it off me :dohh: I want to try and do that again this time though.

By the way - how do you count how long you're in labour? maybe im getting it wrong. I had backache for 2 days before I gave birth, but I count from my show as thats when my contractions got really bad = 14 hours.

Just want to tell some of you planning a natural birth not to worry about it so much, we all cope with pain differently. You may think you're going to cope really well and may find yourself needing more pain relief - it's not worth beating yourself up over. I thought I was going to need everything going, but gas and air was fine for me.. sure it was bloody hard work but it can be done. As bek said (I think it was, sorry if not) you don't notice the time going when you're the one giving birth, you're so caught up in your own little world!

When i was a student nurse i helped a lady through a natural birth. She had been preparing herself mentally and physically for months. She was very tuned into her body and seemed to be very mobile or getting in positions to open up her cervix. All this was 25 years ago and quite unusual.

:hi: Ive had both my girls only using gas and air, i was determined not 2 have an epidural! i was in labour for 23 hours with my first daughter, but on my 2nd i didnt even have time 2 get to the hospital, i gave birth at home, i was in labour for about 3-4 hours. just do what feels right at the time! hope all goes well for you! xx

tghousands of women every day have safe and effective epidurals, I am NOT reading the horror stories and will do whatever I need on the day. I'm sure most birth plans go right out of the window anyway!!!

tghousands of women every day have safe and effective epidurals, I am NOT reading the horror stories and will do whatever I need on the day. I'm sure most birth plans go right out of the window anyway!!!

Good for you! That's the beauty of this world, we get to choose the kind of birth we want. The more prepared you are, the more likely you are to stick to your birth plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->