Natural Mamas Due Late Summer/Early Fall?

melewen

Reaction score
Are there any other "crunchy" mamas due late summer or early fall? I'm planning on an unmedicated birth and we're otherwise "alternative" in our approach to many things. We're using the Bradley Method and Hypnobabies, and I [usually] do tons of yoga, which is supposed to be great for delivery, but alas 1st trimester fatigue has made me a bit of an underperformer on the mat :) It'd be great to connect!

If I'm able to do a VBAC, I'm probably going the natural route.

With DD were were planning a possible water birth at a birth center, but we had to have a csection instead (DD's heart rate was decreasing with every mild contraction - had to be induced as I was 41+6 and knew she wasn't coming on her own - had the option of giving her another 24 hrs or going to the birth center and just having my water broken).

We were going to take a Bradley class with DD, but it was too hard to fit into our schedules, cost too much for us, and I just knew I would end up with a csection (gut feeling), so I figured it'd be pointless to put the money into something I wouldn't need lol

I did read a Bradley book, though, to be safe. DH and I went through it all. Not the same, but I wasn't too worried since I was positive it'd end in a csection. I also started reading hypnobabies, but it was so late in the game that I never fully got through it all.

The birth center is starting up prenatal yoga in March, so I'm hoping it's at a time that fits my schedule.

I may go through the books again if I find time (which might be too impossible this time around since now our schedules are even busier and it'll be a long time before I read anything for leisure).

I'm useless right now from fatigue and generally feeling like crap. So hopefully come March I'll be feeling better!

I had no pain meds with my son, although it wasn't strictly "natural" as they did put me on pitocin (my waters had broken but the contractions weren't doing anything, I stayed at 3 cm for over 12 hours). It was awesome and I'm so glad that I did it. I'm definitely hoping to do the same this time, but I am currently extremely overweight (BMI is over 33) and therefor at high risk for a number of complications I didn't have to worry so much about last time (BMI was 26 pre-pregnancy with my son). Ultimately I'll do whatever my doctor tells me to, but he prefers to keep things as natural as possible (that's why we're such a good fit).

I went vbac with my son and was given a mild med thru IV only. Can't remember whIch One. I plan on going a similar route. I would like to be more mobile and not stuck on the bed!

My first birth was unmedicated, I BFed until 2 yr 3 monthsish, used cloth diapers, did BLW etc. which I guess makes me crunchy. ;)

I was all set on birthing with even less intervention this time around but it's a whole different scenario with multiples unfortunately, so now I'm in a wait and see and try to get through it with as little intervention as possible but ultimately doing whatever is best and safest for me and the babies!

Awesome! Great to have so many experienced mamas here. This is my first so we have high hopes and are putting in plenty of time practicing Bradley, doing prenatal yoga, and working with Hypnobabies. Unfortunately we have to birth at a hospital and I don't think they have bathtubs there.. bleh. But we are very close to the hospital so hopefully I can labor for a long time at home. We have a doula so that should be helpful

WHat did you find most helpful in birthing without pain meds?

My first birth was unmedicated, I BFed until 2 yr 3 monthsish, used cloth diapers, did BLW etc. which I guess makes me crunchy. ;)

I was all set on birthing with even less intervention this time around but it's a whole different scenario with multiples unfortunately, so now I'm in a wait and see and try to get through it with as little intervention as possible but ultimately doing whatever is best and safest for me and the babies!

Super crunchy :) Multiples - wow!! How many?

Awesome! Great to have so many experienced mamas here. This is my first so we have high hopes and are putting in plenty of time practicing Bradley, doing prenatal yoga, and working with Hypnobabies. Unfortunately we have to birth at a hospital and I don't think they have bathtubs there.. bleh. But we are very close to the hospital so hopefully I can labor for a long time at home. We have a doula so that should be helpful

WHat did you find most helpful in birthing without pain meds?

A fast labor that didn't even give me the chance to contemplate pain meds. ;)

Honestly, I didn't do any classes, or practice any techniques, I just went in with an open mind to trust my body to know what needed to be done, and to accept that ultimately, I'd do whatever needed doing to ensure a safe birth for me and baby, even if that ended with me in the OR getting a c-section.

I think not having massive expectations of how I wanted my labor and birth to go helped.

Super crunchy :) Multiples - wow!! How many?

Only 2, thankfully! ;)

Congrats on your pregnancy Hun! I'm planning another med free birth, and as long as things go ok a home birth this time. Couldn't have one last time as had to be induced to to pre eclampsia. But hopefully this time all will be well! I had an extremely quick labour that helped with keeping med free but read so many books on self hypnosis and breathing techniques, although I will say that I used none of those what so ever during labour lol. I won't be trying them again this time.

Maryanne ha!! Too funny. I can't imagine anything but natural breathing would help. A lot of my friends have used hypnobabies and swear by it! Luckily I get to borrow their tapes so as not to fork over so much cash :D I'm a preparer by nature!

It's good to prepare! I've already started work on my birth plan. I want it to be well planned this time. Last time everything went wrong with having to be induced and not having the birth id hoped for but at least my son was born healthy which was the main thing. This time though as it's my second as most likely my last I want to have a little more control over it. I'm gonna try aromatherapy this time to get me through. Read some postive things about it!

Borrowing is defo the way forward! I'm gonna hit my library for home birthing books. Give me some ideas on how to plan properly.

Maryanne that's so interesting! I hadn't really considered aromatherapy. Our birthing collective has a pain management seminar tomorrow with a doula and Id really love to go but we had our bradley class tonight so I'm a bit labor'ed out at this point! I actually do hypnosis and meditation regularly anyway so I'm hopeful it will help at go time :D

I guess I'd be considered a crunchy mom. I cloth diaper, co-sleep, breast feed and did BLW too.

I had a med free water birth with my first. I had an amazing doula. I also did natal hypnotherapy, which is just the British version of hypnobirthing. I had the book and cd by Maggie Howell. It was great. The book especially, along with Ida May Gaskins, gave me the confidence I needed. I also used tea tree oil (huffed it on a wet facecloth) and calming music during the birth. The nurses must of thought I was such a hippy but it all helped.

This time around my hospital doesn't offer water births. I can labor in the tub till the end but will have to deliver somewhere else. They have stools or I can squat or lower the bed to lean forward on. I'm a little nervous since I loved my first birth but my body was made for this so I'm certain I can do it this way too.

Oh and I found yoga helped a lot too. Not prenatal yoga but if you were into it before. I practiced Ashtanga and found the breathing to help a lot. Sadly, I haven't practiced regularly since I was about 20 weeks with my first. I just started going again but now that I'm pregnant I don't see me getting back into it as much.

Self confessed crunchy momma here lol! Both of my children have been natural labours.

Due Oct 15th

Sbmack that sounds like my perfect delivery hahaha. Unfortunately they don't have tubs at our hospital (we can't legally use midwives at hospitals in our city and we don't have a birthing center.. Youd think we were in some podunk town!!) which sucks but meh I guess I'll figure something out! Love the idea of tea tree oil. Did you read ina may's child birthing book? I'm reading it now, love the birth stories. One thing I love particularly about prenatal yoga is it focuses not on poses that are calming and whatever when you're pg but on poses that will help you mentally and physically in labor like malasana and pelvic rocks etc. I use yoga download's free audio class and love it

I did read Ida Mays book. Loved it.

There was a birthing center about a half hour from me that I was considering but they recently closed down :( I also love the midwives and doctors at my practice so I wanted to stick with them. I'm hoping my doula is available this time around. She was amazing. My dh was hesitant about having one at first but after the birth he told her he doesn't know how anyone has babies without her.

Melewen, where do you live?

Memphis :( the irony is we are only 3 hours from "the Farm"! We are planning to move to Nashville in the next few years and I am hoping to get to use the ladies there then :)

I guess I might be considered a "crunchy" mama-to-be. :) I'm due early September and am planning on an unmedicated birth, although I am trying not to have too many expectations that may not be realistic for me. I'll definitely be trying some birthing classes, doing some reading, and enrolling in yoga (which I already love).

We'll also be co-sleeping but I can't get OH on board with cloth diapers just yet. I'll convert him one day!

I would love to have a doula, but I can't afford one, and they are not covered through extended health benefits.
Unfortunately, where I live, choosing a midwife over a medical doctor as your primary caregiver is already "alternative" enough. I'm expecting some serious back lash from friends and family who are just misinformed about midwifery. I, on the other hand, am over the moon about even managing to find one! There are only 2 practicing midwives in my whole city.

Melewen, that would be amazing to deliver at 'the farm'!

Leggiero, there are cloth diapers that are just as easy as disposables. My dh didn't need much convincing, but I was a bit shocked to discover that he prefers simple pre-folds and covers to fancy All in Ones and Pockets. Good luck. Many will cave once they realize how much money they could save. Not to mention around 3,000 less diapers in a landfill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->