nausea in throat (but not morning sickness!)

kris85

Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm 16 weeks and for the past few weeks I've been feeling sick in my throat (never in stomach) and sometimes it feels like a lump there or something. It happens a lot when I first wake up and then sometimes throughout the day.

I had morning sickness for my whole first trimester and it is definitely not that! feels a lot different..

I've read heartburn can be quite common in 2nd trimester but I always thought it was literally a burning sensation in throat/chest, which I dont really get.

any thoughts or anyone had something similar? Just like to know its normal!!

:O! im not alone ive had this this week only,but i have had NO ms at all! i actually..ahem burped up sick today and had to swallow it (i deal with customers) it was pretty unpleasant as it burnt my throat and made my eyes water i had to run for a drink asap. The lumps are normally bile aren't they? i used to experience them when i was pretty huge,overeating/undereating normally triggers them its a pretty horrid feeling its like solid phlegm is just stuck in your throat and no matter how much you swallow it doesn't go away! :hugs:

I get it too but I get it in the evenings. I described it as (sorry if TMI) sick coming up and then just sitting in my throat and then it kind of burns. I just deal with it so far though so will be interested to see what others reply to you x x

try some tums. It might be acid. I have an almost constant feel of a warm throat and my burps taste awful... sometimes acidy and sometimes just pain gross. The tums help me for about an hour at a time. My doctor said I can take as many tums as needed since they are basically just calcium. They also said eat frequently, but stick to low fat, bland foods. I don't know if this is what you are describing, but it was a new feeling I've never felt before and did start to make me almost feel nauseous.

when i have heartburn its a kinda different feeling, its like an acidic burning/splashing in the throat and normally comes/starts with a burp or hiccup,but the lump feeling i normally find to be bile - sometimes they actually come up as 'bile pellets' and smell awful - but those are more through over eating/ under eating. But yep as another poster said to avoid heartburn eat mild foods,drink milk, see how you go with that,you may wanna get some gaviscon on prescription too (if you have it in aus and if prescrips are free like they are here when preggo) :)

I get this, and I swear by my bottle of gaviscon. It has became my new best friend and comes everywhere with me, literally!

It is an absolute godsend!
If it doesn't help, maybe speak to your doctor or midwife and see if they can offer an alternative

:flow:

I have this almost all the time, and even though my stomach is fine most of the time, that feeling usually leads to throwing up. My husband finds it hard to grasp what I'm talking about when I tell him "My throat feels sick, not my stomach." Glad to hear I'm not alone in this.

Its gastric reflux, the sphincter that closes off your stomach acid from coming back up is more relaxed during pregnancy, which allows stomach acid into your throat and mouth.

I have problems with this before pregnancy, hence why I know instantly what you are describing.

Gaviscon will help, it will cool down your throat and help neutralise some of the acid coming to far up the oesophagus.

thanks everyone! will try some of the suggestions - at least I know I'm not alone !! :)

YES I know what you mean. I've had 3 pregnancies and this is the first one that I have that "feeling" in the throat at times. It's not reflux or acid (I've experienced that in the past while not pregnant and this is different). It's like a tightness, like what you feel when you are going to throw up. I try to sip some juice or distract myself. Just now I was eating something and as I was eating, it's like a small piece of it was in my throat for a bit too long before I swallowed and triggered that "gaggy" tight feeling. What's weird is my actual stomach felt okay, just that feeling washed over me like I was going to throw up.. out of nowhere! Ugh!

I get a lump in my throat from acid reflux, it's very unpleasent. Sometimes my heartburn/reflux is what you'd expect, the burning up the throat and growling stomach pain but sometimes, it manifests itself as a lump in my throat..?! Makes my thrust feel right as well. I wonder if sometimes it's just because my throats has been so irritated by the acid and is now a bit swollen or just quite sore down there! Either way, some antacid meds usually help a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->