NCT course - worth the expense?

Pansy

Mother of 1
Reaction score
Is the NCT course really worth the expense? My local one is £165 for 15 hours.

This is my first time so I definitely want to do some form of course. One of the main things I want to get out of it, apart from the knowledge, is meeting other mums.

As NCT classes are smaller I thought there might be more chance to get to know people. I dont mind paying if it is worth it. Can you meet people at the NHS ones? Are they any good?

Any advice/experiences appreciated please. Thanks.

I dont think it's worth the money to be honest. your midwife should run an antenatal course that is free and will give you all the info you need. That's what I did. To meet other mums to be I joined a (much cheaper) pregnancy yoga class and joined some local facebook mummy groups and Netmums.

I wouldn't say it is necessarily worth it for what they teach you but everyone I know who has done them has met a really lovely group of other mums which provided invaluable support in the first few months so in that respect I would say it is worth it.

My son ended up making a surprise arrival at shortly before 34 weeks so I never ended up doing any antenatal but this time round, I would be tempted to pay for the NCT classes, assuming I get that far.

defo not worth paying for, you will meet some lovely women in hospital too. try looking for free courses (i didnt know you had to pay for them)

i had to pay for nct ones as the nhs were booked up and was told they only had places for people who r on benefits. my dh liked it and learnt alot i didnt. but made a few good mates

I found the course to be great and worth every penny! I learnt a lot (as did DH), but the best thing was meeting other mums to be. I didn't know anyone else with young children so it was great to meet other people due arund the same time and I don't know how I'd have managed in the first few months without the advice and support from the mums I met in the classes. I've made some really good friends from the group and two and a half years on I still see 3 or 4 of the mums most weeks (my husband also sees some of the other dads socially too).

I thought it was well worth the money personally. I met some really nice people and we were meeting up for coffee pretty much every week from the end of the course until I left the UK when LO was six months old; in fact I still miss my coffee group now.

It was also good for DH to learn some stuff (other than what I was telling him) as the NHS ones were during the week, so he was at work. The NHS ones were okay too, but I didn't really meet anyone there, plus the lady who ran them was quite a strong personality and made you feel a bit stupid for asking any questions and didn't really answer them, though I'm sure that was just her.

Definitely worth it for me as the NHS one was one day only so made no friends. .I see my NCT friends every week and we have mums nights out etc. Worth the money imo.

Thanks for all your replies. We've decided to go for it, as the courses are at the weekend so DH will find it easier to attend & I feel I can always go to NHS one as well, so nothing to lose.

I loved going to the NHS ones, met loads of friends 3 of us go to aqua-natal as well now and meet during the week, the only thing I did find here is that it was 30+ years old and I'm a wee bit younger at 23 :). The NHS ones here are run on a Tuesday for about 5 weeks

I really enjoyed my NCT classes last time especially on the topic of breastfeeding, the other mums there were very like minded. We paid very little for ours because we didn't have a particularly good income at the time, if you contact them with your income you might be entitled to a reduction. But I would say they were worth the expense if full price anyway, I learned a lot, my midwives were lovely but they didn't teach me anything, I was only 22 and learned everything I know about BF and birth from my NCT classes, it definitely helped me to make informed choices, to this day in fact!

(Should add, I was never offered NHS ones!! There were only 2 other couples with NCT which made it really good for being able to ask questions and make it personal)

I loved my NCT classes and would recommend them to anyone. I learned loads and so did my OH but most importantly, I've made friends for life. I never thought I would as I have a big family and so don't spend so much time with friends, but everyone there was so nice. It's now 2 years on and we all still meet up, one couple stay round ours for the weekend once a month and it s brilliant that their LO is exactly the same age.
You'll love it and won't regret it x

I loved my NCT class and still have some great buddies from it, and I now volunteer for them! Please remember, that low income and many benefits will make you eligible for a discount on most NCT classes, oh and you don't actually have to be a member to do them..;)

Thanks for all your replies. I'm looking forward to starting the course in July! I didn't go for membership as it was an added expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->