NEC baby positive story - hope its ok

_Vicky_

Mum to twins
Reaction score
Hi all,

At 37+4 my boys werent premature but as Fynn had NEC (Necrotising Enterocolitis) link to description here https://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Necrotising-Enterocolitis-%28NEC%29.htm which is predominantly a condition found in prematiure babies I thought I would post my story here. The reason is that when my son was diagnosed I could find nothing positive on the condition and all I read about was mortality rates - which in the awful dark panicky days made the agnoising wait even worse so I wanted to give someone somewhere soemthing good to read in case you are in my shoes and scared to death at 3am (omg tears still flowing here at the memory and he has been home three weeks lol)

OK (get a grip) Fynn was born on 21st January by forceps he is twin one - he weighed 5lb12oz and all looked fabulous!!!! His little brother was on three hourly obs due to low birthweight so we stayed in hospital a few days. During the first 48 hours Fynn wasnt feeding right and was being sick - a gunky dark sick from nose and mouth. As we were still in hospital he was whipped down to special care and they decided to keep him in - he was put on nil by mouth for 24 hours and then was slowly introduced to food again. Bad news he stopped tolerating his foodn after about 36 hours :cry: The consultant needed to do further investigations and they x-rayed him and told us it was NEC which meant nothing to us. Then I made the biggest mistake in the world and googled it - awful.

To cut a very very very long story short Fynn was taken off food for one week and was maintened on TPN through a long line into his scalp :cry: he did fabulously when they reintroduced food and finally came home on 9th Feb (two days after his due date)

He is gaining weight and thriving and just a joy to have - even at 3am when all I want is sleep lol.

I dont know if anyone will find this useful but if anyone wants any more info on our experiences then please pm me

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for sharing Vicky. So glad your story had a positive outcome. xxx

Thank you for sharing your story, I hope this gives lots of hope to others who are going through a similar experience.
I am glad Fynn is thriving such a brave little fighter.

Hiya Hun,

Jaycee had a long line through her foot. It was awful and made me weak just thinking about it. I havent had any experience with NEC but wanted to say Well done to your boys!! :) I talk to you other at multiples too and its nice to hear their story x

hi, Olivia had ''suspected'' NEC, it was treated the same as your sons, nil by mouth, tPN etc. Olivias long lines kept tissueing and were replaced as often as 3 times a day!! The long lines used to upset me more than the vent!!!

hi, Olivia had ''suspected'' NEC, it was treated the same as your sons, nil by mouth, tPN etc. Olivias long lines kept tissueing and were replaced as often as 3 times a day!! The long lines used to upset me more than the vent!!!

yes sounds exactly like Fynn - he used to pull the tubes out and they put it in his leg and he swelled up :cry::cry: They went for the scalp in the end which looked awful but he was more comfortable.

Hi,

So glad i found this thread because my LO is only 2lb 12 and has 'suspected NEC'. they have stopped her feeds, given her long line and put her on anti-biotics.

i think i have cried 3 time today already and just feel terrified. 3 days ago they decided to put Evie on ibuprofen to help close her heart duct that was still open and they said it can cause other side affects and through the last night they noticed that her belly had swelled.

her belly feels soft and she had a poo this morning which had slight orange red bit in it. Just seems to be one thing after another and i'm not sure how much longer i'll cope :(

Claire

Thanks for sharing. I am so glad your twins are both doing so well now. They are gorgeous, congratulations. x

Hi,

So glad i found this thread because my LO is only 2lb 12 and has 'suspected NEC'. they have stopped her feeds, given her long line and put her on anti-biotics.

i think i have cried 3 time today already and just feel terrified. 3 days ago they decided to put Evie on ibuprofen to help close her heart duct that was still open and they said it can cause other side affects and through the last night they noticed that her belly had swelled.

her belly feels soft and she had a poo this morning which had slight orange red bit in it. Just seems to be one thing after another and i'm not sure how much longer i'll cope :(

Claire

Ohh claire - its terrifying isnt it - her pooing is fabulous though Fynn didnt poo for ages and ages.

I am here if you want to pm me sweetie xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"