neck fluid, possible down syndrome?

Lavendel

Reaction score
hi ladies,
thought i would repost this in here..maybe some of you have some ideas.

we just had a scan yesterday, i was 10+4.
the midwife was kinda in a hurry and checked really quickly for heart, brain and if baby had 2arms and legs.
i was really tired (appointment at 8pm) so i did not even think about asking for down syndrome signs or any abnormalities.
the scan for my first son was very long and the midwife explained and told us everything she was checking. this time was really different and i feel sad now i havent ask for more info.
anyhow, i looked at the photo of the scan more carefully this morning and i saw the space under the neck.
i didnt want to do the triple test, as it gives many false positives, but now i am confuse.

what do you think looking at the picture?

Attachments

• IMG-20140303-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20140303-WA0016.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 45
10 weeks is too early for theNT measurement to be accurate but your looks small to my untrained eye.

10 weeks is too early indeed. Most early they do is 11 weeks and the results are combined with a blood test.

Don't worry. And if you do, maybe ask if you still can have the test?

It looks absolutely fine to me, but yes 11weeks, 2 days is the earliest a nuchal fold would be measured in the the UK.

Hi Lavendel, congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope you were able to get more answers from your doctor / midwife by now. 10 weeks is very early and to my untrained eye I think your pic looks normal. The midwife would surely have mentioned if she'd picked up on anything abnormal. A few years back I was removed from the study because they thought my baby's cystic hygroma for 14 weeks was so large that she must have a chromosomal abnormality. We lost her two weeks later due to an freak accident during the amnio, and it turns out she was perfectly healthy, asside from an unexplainable bump that possibly would have disappeared on it's own. It was heartbreaking, and honestly I don't blame the amnio. (I'm pregnant now and am seriously considering getting one due to my age - I'm 37-). I just wanted to share so that you know that even if they do discover a problem, having an enlarged nuchal fold isn't an absolute, just a potential indicator that there might be something going on. Sometimes it disappears and there have been cases of these pregnancies continuing on to produce healthy babies. I wish you all the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->