need advice about loosing my job please !

ttc2yrs

Reaction score
Hi ladies im in a real mess ! basically ive worked for my salon for 11 months.and less than 2 weeks ago they told me they were closing it down due to the lease expiring and they are unable to renew it ! i told them i was pregnant nearly 8 weeks ago.they are refusing to make me redundant and they are just saying they cant help but let me go due to the lease.but i have found out that it was there choice not to renew it.i am the only person who works in the salon.and ive had a letter saying the business is ceasing and is shutting on march 22nd.but i went in there today to say bye to some old clients and found out that my old boss has leafleted there flats saying that the salon is open on Tuesday and after that they will be offering a mobile service to there home.( the salon is built in a care home for elderly and disabled). but surely they cannot do this as they have let me go as business was ceasing but they are opening for one more day and offering a mobile service ! surely that should be me ? im so worried they have lied to me just so they dont have to pay me SMP . isn't this discrimination against a pregnant woman and it has caused me so much upset as i feel let down and like ive been used by them ! any advice would be great thank you xx

Hi ladies im in a real mess ! basically ive worked for my salon for 11 months.and less than 2 weeks ago they told me they were closing it down due to the lease expiring and they are unable to renew it ! i told them i was pregnant nearly 8 weeks ago.they are refusing to make me redundant and they are just saying they cant help but let me go due to the lease.but i have found out that it was there choice not to renew it.i am the only person who works in the salon.and ive had a letter saying the business is ceasing and is shutting on march 22nd.but i went in there today to say bye to some old clients and found out that my old boss has leafleted there flats saying that the salon is open on Tuesday and after that they will be offering a mobile service to there home.( the salon is built in a care home for elderly and disabled). but surely they cannot do this as they have let me go as business was ceasing but they are opening for one more day and offering a mobile service ! surely that should be me ? im so worried they have lied to me just so they dont have to pay me SMP . isn't this discrimination against a pregnant woman and it has caused me so much upset as i feel let down and like ive been used by them ! any advice would be great thank you xx

I'm not sure there is anything you can do. Each state has it's law regarding this type of thing. So you could start there. But at the same time keep your chin up and start looking for another job. Any chance you can start your own? If the salon is doing mobile service, then why can't you?

Hi thanx for advice.I've tried to get a new job but no salon will take me on only short term.also with starting mobile now I wouldn't be entitled to any maternity allowance. Is a mess really xx

I'd talk to CAB hun, it doesn't sound like they have handled it well at all. They shouldn't be avoiding paying SMP though because I am pretty sure they claim that money back from the government anyway.

Firstly, even if you got made redundant, you would not have been eligible for redundancy pay as you haven't been there two years. Secondly your rights are limited, again, because you have been there less than a year.
A few questions, why would starting mobile not have you eligible for maternity allowance? Secondly, how far along are you? Did the company give you notice? Have they already ceased trading?
Were you actually 'employed' by them or did you work self employed (ie rent a chair?)
Ultimately CAB would be a good port of call.

With being there under a year, they can let you go at any point, without reason. The law changed last year to protect employers from unfair dismissal claims. There's no reason why going mobile would mean you're not entitled to maternity allowance. To claim MA, you have to of been employed for 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before baby is due, that includes being self employed. Whether its their choice or not on renewing the lease doesn't make a difference. As pp said, you wouldn't be entitled to redundancy pay as you hadn't worked their long enough. A lot of salons take on staff on a rent a chair/room basis, which can be as short term as you like, you don't have to find full time, permanent work. It's worth going to citizens advice, but unfortunately, I don't think you have too many rights for the length of time you've been there. I'm sure they're not closing the salon down just to discriminate against you.

It may be worth calling ACAS for a chat. They were really helpful when my old workplace tried getting rid of me by carrying out a 'restructure' while I was on maternity leave. They're free and they really know their stuff.

The number you can reach them on is 08457 47 47 47 (Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm). You could also visit their website https://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1339

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"