Need advice.... child minder's dog bit my toddler

This is exactly why we don't use a childminder. I don't like the idea of my child being in a stranger's house while they carry on their day (I could do just as well myself at home with her playing on her own while I work at my desk). And no responsible person would have dogs - her own or anyone else's - in her care while she was also looking after children. Even the best behaved dogs can suddenly behave unpredictably. I'd not send my child back to somewhere like that.

I haven't read all the replies so sorry if I repeat anything!

Is this a registered child minder?
I love dogs, my profession is in the dog training and showing world, however my child would not be going anywhere as in nursery or a child minder if dogs are running loose. It is too risky!

Does your child minder know the new laws that have just come in regarding dogs?! I would say not because if you reported that nip, the dog would be taken and the owner would be in court. The law has changed massively from May 13th so everyone should look into this.

Also what would you be doing if the dog nipped your child's face rather than the leg where the skin is more delicate? It could happen next time.

I also wouldn't have placed my child with a childminder who had dogs. It's a shame this has happened because a good childminder is hard to come by. I definitely wouldn't send him back if the other dogs are going to be there.

I am ok with a childminder having a dog provided it is trained and kept away from the children. dS1 used to go to a childminder with a dog but the dog did not go in the kids play area and it was an older greyhound who could barely walk. When that dog passed away (DS1 was no longer in her care then) she got another and took him for training but the dog was too jumpy and scared the kids. So although he never nipped and she was attached to him she gave him away after a few weeks since it wasn't working out. Personally two dogs would be too many for me to send my kids to that childminder.

I am more concerned about your childminder not seeming to care. I would look for other care tbh, because if she is unconcerned about a dog nipping, something you are obviously very concerned about, she is probably not too concerned about watching her own dogs carefully around the kids.

Personally I think I'd be looking into changing child care, it just sounds far too risky. The fact that she was quite unconcerned and blasé about it as well would really anger and annoy me

I think this is one of the issues that irritated me the most...

Is it a childminder or a babysitter? Because I know in the UK childminders have to pass rigorous testing regarding the areas they will be having children in.
I really don't think I'd be happy leaving my child in that situation

She is a registered childminder. We went through a bureau that set us up with her and they checked her credentials, do safety checks in her house, etc. I live in the Netherlands so there is no law about dogs here. Her other dogs are quite friendly and we initially liked the idea of our DS being exposed to friendly dogs as we'd like to get one ourselves in the future. However, this has really shaken our trust in her, even though it wasn't one of her own dogs.

Thanks for the reply ladies :flower: DH and I discussed it and have put in a request to be moved to a new childminder.

I haven't read the other responses, but I would definitely have another conversation with her about how much it upset you. I would also insist that the extra 2 dogs be seperated from your children when they're there since there's been a problem.

Honestly, i think if i chose a childminder i expect them to keep the dogs separate from the children whilst they were in their care. That going for their own dogs and any they looked after. I'm a dog owner and children just need constant supervision around animals and i absolutely couldn't give that if i was childminder.
I don't think i'd send them again :(

I think you made the right decision. I wouldn't be comfortable with that either. xx

You've definitely made the right decision to change your childminder and hope you get one soon x

You made the right decision. It's terrible that the child minder didn't seem bothered by what had happened :nope: I would be so upset and angry in that situation :hugs:

Just seen you updated, definitely the right decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->