Need Advice: how to dry up supply

moose31

Reaction score
Any one have advice on how to dry up supply quickly?
I cannot breastfeed due to my ongoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.
I want to prevent getting engorged/risk mastitis because it would delay my treatment s after delivery.

I have heard antihistamines- like allergy/cold medications can help. A friend had to use this to help with oversupply. I would contact your doctor or lactation consultant if you have one available and see what they recommend, though.

I think there's some kind of shot they can give you that works much faster.

I am weaning, so I have researched like crazy. My tips are, lots of peppermint and sage teas. Avoid warmth on your breasts, it stimulates the milk. Cold packs and cabbage leaves in your bra. Pump only enough to be comfortable, don't drain your breasts. I think some engorgement is possible no matter how you do it.

I had to stop breastfeeding suddenly with DD as they told me I had a tumour on my kidneys (turns out I didn't but that's not so relevant), the advice I was given was to just stop, to express only as much as I needed to to relieve the discomfort and stop leaking, within 48 hours I didn't need to express again, it was alarming how easy it was to completely stop my supply. The first day was very uncomfortable, breasts were like rocks, but my body quickly learned there was no need to produce any more. I didn't take any medication or herbs or anything.

If it's not an odd question have you given birth yet? If not the easiest way to dry up supply is not to start breastfeeding, with DD she was 12 weeks early and I didn't really know about expressing, I didn't start until day 4, but if I hadn't started then my milk wouldn't ever have come in I don't think.

Hope the treatment goes amazingly well x

I had to stop breastfeeding suddenly with DD as they told me I had a tumour on my kidneys (turns out I didn't but that's not so relevant), the advice I was given was to just stop, to express only as much as I needed to to relieve the discomfort and stop leaking, within 48 hours I didn't need to express again, it was alarming how easy it was to completely stop my supply. The first day was very uncomfortable, breasts were like rocks, but my body quickly learned there was no need to produce any more. I didn't take any medication or herbs or anything.

If it's not an odd question have you given birth yet? If not the easiest way to dry up supply is not to start breastfeeding, with DD she was 12 weeks early and I didn't really know about expressing, I didn't start until day 4, but if I hadn't started then my milk wouldn't ever have come in I don't think.

Hope the treatment goes amazingly well x

I haven't delivered yet. 6more weeks until induction. I just met with breast surgeon and oncologist about timing of double mastectomy . After baby I need 2months more of chemo, surgeon says it's tricky after pregnancy bc of milk so I was hoping to help things along.

In the 60's & 70's I know anyone not breastfeeding was given a shot/pills to stop lactation.
I would say that with your circumstances the doctors would give you something.
Xx

I have heard sudafed (the decongestant) is useful for that. It's also great as a decongestant, I've missed it but I wouldn't take it when breastfeeding in case it messed up my supply.

It might be worth talking it through with your GP, as I know my friend got prescribed something to stop her milk (she did have to pretty much demand for the prescription, but under your circumstances I'd imagine they'd be more than willing to do that), when she stopped breastfeeding her baby, and it worked well for her. This was in the UK and happened about four years ago, so quite recently.

Good luck with it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->