Need an awesome chocolate sponge recipe!

amymarx

Mum of 1 beautiful boy :)
Reaction score
Hello ladies, I want to make my OH a nice chocolate cake with White chocolate frosting for his birthday. I never make chocolate cake as him and I both prefer vanilla sponge or red velvet cake. I've been searching the Internet and theres just too many to choose from!
I'm looking for something light and moist, not the usuall rich dense chocolate sponge

Any help would be massively appreciated, thank you! :flower:

This is mine hun... It's so moist b/c of the oil instead of butter and not too chocolate overload (until you put the frosting on!)

175g self raising flour
2 tbs cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarb soda
150g caster sugar
2 eggs
150ml sunflower oil
150 semi skimmed milk
2tbs golden syrup

1.Pre-heat oven to 180ºC/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line two 18cm (7 inch) sandwich tins.
2.Sieve the flour, cocoa and Bicarbonate of Soda into a bowl. Add the sugar and mix well.
3.Make a well in the centre and add the syrup, eggs, oil and milk. Beat well with electric whisk until smooth.
4.Spoon the mixture into the two tins and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Remove from oven, leave to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack.

then i cheat instead of making a frosting i use the betty crocker chocolate fudge frosting
yummy yummy xxxx

im rubbish at chocolate cake but have u ever tried the betty crocker devils cholate cake? amazing!!!! just hide the box well in the bin!lol! sorry for no recipes!

Lol I haven't! I ended up making a double choc fudge with White choc buttercream, it went down really well and stayed moist and fresh for about 4 days :)

chocolate sponge cake:

175g (6oz) butter, at room temperature
3 eggs, at room temperature
175g (6oz) caster sugar
175g (6oz) self-raising flour
50g (2oz) cocoa powder
1tsp baking powder
½tsp vanilla extract

For a cream and fruit filling:

125ml whipping cream
175g raspberries or strawberries

For quick chocolate icing:

200g (8oz) icing sugar
50g (2oz) cocoa powder
200g (8oz) butter
1tbsp milk
1tsp vanilla extract

method

Grease a 20cm (8in) cake tin and line with greaseproof paper. Top tip: Watch our how to line a round cake tin video
Preheat oven to 170°C (325°F, gas mark 3).
Cream the sugar and butter into a large bowl, beat until light and pale. Add the eggs one at a time and continue to beat until you leave a trail on the surface when the whisk is lifted (with an electric mixer, about 5 mins).
Sift the flour. Gently fold half the flour into the mixture. When it is well combined, fold in the other half of the flour along with the cocoa powder and baking powder. Stir in the vanilla extract.
Turn the mixture into the prepared tin.
Bake the chocolate sponge cake for about 30-35 mins or until a cake skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Turn out onto a wire rack and remove the greaseproof paper.
Turn the chocolate sponge cake upside down so the top becomes the bottom. Slice it horizontally and fill with whipped cream and fruit - raspberries or strawberries work well. You can decorate the top with more fruit.
Or, for die hard chocoholics, make our quick, chocolate icing. Use an electric whisk to beat together all the ingredients until you have a smooth, light icing. Use half of it in the middle of the chocolate sponge cake and the other half on top. Decorate with raspberries if you fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->