Need an impartial opinion please!!

GersPrincess

Mummy of 3, soon to be 4!
Reaction score
Ok, hubby and I have been rowing about this since our 20 week scan, but the time has come where we need to make a decision.. and we need a little help please.

Right, initially hubby decided he wanted to call the baby Natalie, since the meaning has something to do with Christmas, and that's when she was conceived. As such, my 2 kids, and his kid have been refering to the bump as Natalie.
Personally, I wanted a name beginning with J since hubby and my 2 kids all have J names, but Natalie really started growing on me.

In the last couple of months, he's changed his mind and wants to call her Emily now. And since we agreed when we got our BFP that if the baby was a girl, he could name her, and he got no say at all in what his son was named, I feel a bit mean saying he cant call her Emily.

Well, now, he has also decided that her middle name needs to be after his Mum, who is called Janette. Which I can totally understand. Neither we or hubby's sister are having any more children, so this is the last chance for his Mum's name to be used.

But I dont like the sound of Emily Janette Fox, I dont think it sounds right...

What do you think??

I think it's nice if middle names go together, but if it's not double-barrelled it's not really going to be used that often, so in my honest opinion, it isn't really a HUGE issue. I can see where you're coming from, but if you've agreed to let your husband choose then it wouldn't be fair to say no now lol

Natalie is a lovely name. I quite like the foreign version Nathalia too.

Emily is very pretty too and to be honest, apart from when they are babies do we ever use the middle name. Its only when filling out forms and getting married. If people use their initials for things then they generally use the first and last but I do use all three. SCT. Its better than ST. So yours would be EJF or NJF.

BOth beautiful names but I prefer Emily to Natalie but Emily is very popular at the minute and Natalie may be less popular.

On that basis my personal choice would be Natalie. But perhaps wait until the day and make the decision when you see your little girl.

I must say you are very brave handing that decision over to hubby.

Best of luck.

I think it flows nicely actually. Though Emily is popular, it is very classic.

I'm not sure I'm brave... stupid maybe!! He's getting better though, way back before we got pregnant he always wanted a daughter called Copeland (after one of the stands at Ibrox) so on that basis Emily is waaaaay better.

I agree that the middle name wont hardly be used, so that's a good point, thanks - hopefully she'll not find it too cringeworthy when she's older.

I suggested that if she has dark hair she be called Natalie and if she is fair (like hubby) then she be called Emily, but he really is set on Emily

So I suppose as long as Emily Janette Fox doesnt sound really horrible, we may have finally named our baby!

Thanks for your comments x

If you really don't like Emily Janette.. could you suggest Emily Jane?? that has an even better ring to it and still technically after his mum? :hugs:

If you really don't like Emily Janette.. could you suggest Emily Jane?? that has an even better ring to it and still technically after his mum? :hugs:

Exactly what I was thinking whilst reading the thread.. it's lovely, Emily Jane Fox (or Jayne even?)

I would go with Jane too instead of Janette. Emily sounds better with Jane / Jeanette, but I love the backstory behind Natalie (it comes from the Latin "dies natalis domini" - the birthday of the Lord - so Christmas)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->