need an opinion

EllaAndLyla

Earth and Angel mummy!
Reaction score
Need a second opinion on my car :)
Basically I have had it just under a year, its my first car. I paid 370 for it, its a 12 year old fiat punto. Since owning it I have paid out way more than what it cost so I could fix it up as the previous owner didn't tell us how bad it really was. I now have another problem which would cost me between 200 and 600 to get repaired. We aren't sure whether its the pump or head gasket yet, but I can't drive for more than about 20 mins without it overheating.

I want to sell it and never look back but the problem is, I can only afford another shitty banger. I can't deal with another car where something Goes wrong every other week!

Do you think it would be worth just either selling it for scrap/spares and repairs and getting another? My OH thinks i should get another but my mum thinks I should keep this one and I'm just 50/50. What would you do? Bare in mind my insurance is just under 2000 a year because of my age and this punto was the cheapest car we could afford on insurance xx

In all honesty i would get rid! I know you can only afford an older car, but look at something which is cheap for parts (ford etc) .. Also how handy is your OH? as mine does most of the mechanics on mine and it saves us a fortune xx

My OH is useless with cars, he wouldn't know where to start. I think ill get rid, just seems easier and less stressful x

If its not worth much as it is, then maybe strip it down and sell it for parts, can sometimes make more that way xx

Scrap man for pennies.

Do LOADS of research on another car, took me over month to get a new car, i checked insurance qoutes left, right and centre.

IMO no car is worth fixing when its value is less.

Id get rid. We went through so many shitty cars last year, as we could only afford dirt cheap ones and things would go wrong with them or they wouldnt pass their MOT. We had a P reg corsa which failed an MOT on about 6 different things, but we flogged it for £200 on ebay which I didnt think was bad. We used that money plus some we had managed to save to buy a ford focus which has served us great so far :thumbup: If you can, its deffo worth trying to spend that little bit more on one, even if its just £900-£1000 x

I think you should get rid, when it is costing more to keep it running than its worth then i dont think that its worth keeping?

I have got a 10 year old punto and i think i paid about £1000 for it about 3 years ago. The money you are going to spend doing it up you could always put towards a new one?! Ive never been able to afford a new car and have had a range of really rubbish ones - some worse than others!!!!

sounds like head gasket hun costs a fortune to fix too i would just sell it and buy another cheap motor look for something off an old person with low mileage it will have been well looked after usually when the head gasket has blown it means its been drove like mad and revved out etc iykwim
my OH dad was just telling him his mate bought an old honda civic of an old man with 30,000 miles for £600 in mint condition hed hardly used it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->