Need help preparing for Little One!

ambertwogood

The Twogood's
Reaction score
This is my first baby and it is all just becoming super overwhelming. All of it. I have no idea where to start or what I really need to be doing. I still have to figure out where to register at, most of my family lives out of state so that kind of makes it more difficult. And, I only like a few items from each place so far, and think it would be a little ridiculous to send 10 or 15 "I'm registered here" cards....:wacko:

Then comes trying to figure out what I need for the new baby and how to pick what is going to work best. BC lets all be honest the sheer variety of stuff and different brands of baby items is overwhelming in and of itself! What do I really need for a new baby? Is there a really great starter list out there for the necessities?

What about all the other things I'm supposed to do before the baby gets here like pick a pediatrician, wash their laundry, etc. How do I get a list together of stuff that I don't even know exactly what it is I'm supposed to have accomplished before she gets here?!? I'm going a little crazy here :dohh:

Then what about the hospital bags? What do I pack? What don't I pack? When am I supposed to be packed by? I'm 29 weeks now and feel like I'm running out of time. :nope:

Then, to top it all off, we just moved into our forever home and it needs so much work done to it (that we will be doing ourselves :dohh:) I'm overwhelmed just by the sight of it. I have to deep clean (and I mean like scrub with a scouring pad from ceiling to floor, EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY SURFACE :nope::dohh::nope:) we have to paint, replace some drywall, repair some holes, put plastic on all the windows bc the electric company told me that last feb. the electric bill was 387 dollars and this is a TINY trailer! That bill is just insane for the size of this house, there has to be several open drafts. I also have to replace the shower walls, re-cauke the tubs and toilets, arrange all our furniture, several pinterest projects, and worry about getting my nursery finished, which also includes several large DIY projects. I don't have anyone to help me and I just don't even know what to do. I feel like I'm getting nothing done and just watching as my time clock clicks everr forward towards it's too late! Please HELP!

Sorry for the long post, I needed to vent....:cry:

For baby
Diapers
Wipes
You can never have too much of those
Thermometer (forehead)
Nail clippers
I wouldnt bother going crazy on cutesie outfits they grow so fast
Pants
Shirts
Dresses
Onesies
Nighties (gowns/sacs are best for night no buttons makes night feeds and changes so much easier)
Socks
Bottles (if formula feeding or pumping)
Pacifiers (said to help reduce sids)
Swing (a life saver)
Bouncer (another life saver)
Diaper rash cream
Tons of shampoo/body wash/lotion
Liquid baby powder (talc is bad for their respiratory system)
Burp cloths
Swaddle blankets
Warm cozy blankets
Crib sheets/pads
Im sure there is something ive left out.
Hospital bag:
Couple pair of cozy pants for you
Shirts for nursing
Conditioner (my must have for "delivery hair")
Shampoo
Slippers
Your own pillow (one for dh too)
Snacks
Camera/phone
Nursing bras
Most hospitals provide pads
Panties (they provide netted disposables you may not like them)
Toothbrush/paste
Going home outfit/shoes (for You and dh)
Nursing pads
Brush/comb
For baby's bag
Couple of onesies
Nail clippers
Couple of outfits
Warm blanket if its going to be cold
Hospital usually provides diapers
Pacifiers the hospital ones arent the best
And as far as the house you should use water based paints while pregnant and ajax cleanser works wonders for nasty messes. Barely any scrubbing is needed. But use gloves and well ventilate while cleaning. You could also use vinegar and baking soda for more natural way.

Also I read that the best places for registration is walmart and target. Usually everything on the registration list is bought when registering there. They are inexpensive stores and both have everything you'll need for baby.
I wouldnt worry about your hospital bag until 32-34 weeks. You have time for that still.

I remember feeling like this around 30 weeks, everything just suddenly became so real and imminent! That feeling does dissipate though and you'll find you are capable of soooo much more than you realise.
I found in this situation that Google was my best friend. I had no idea what i needed for baby, what i needed for hospital bag etc. Just Google 'hospital bag essentials list'. There are loads of them but you'll find one that makes sense to you.
As for the house, just take your time. I had three bedrooms with no furniture etc and my family coming over so needed to get all of that sorted before they arrive. I thought it would never get done but it is finally all sorted and they arrive tomorrow. Try not to stress, write lists for each room that needs to be prepared and slowly but surely tick the items off. And don't be afraid to ask for help!!

****Breathe****
it will be ok, all baby really needs up front is you, food, clothing, and shelter.
registering: I agree with WalMart, target, Kmart or any other local easy to get to or online store that is reasonable. This is your first, but if most of the people buying for you are already parents then they will probably have an idea of what to get you. I would just suggest to others who have kids to send you what they couldn't have done without or what all parents need (you can always exchange anything you get duplicates of or don't like.
hospital bag for you and baby: checkout the thread at the top of the third trimester page, there are many lists and suggestions floating out there on google too. Check with your hospital to see what they provide. Many hospitals in US provide just about everything for a newborn except a going home outfit and car seat. And they will supply you with hospital gowns, hospital pads, and mesh underwear for the stay (most ppl prefer their own stiff but if you are not ready then its good to know they have you covered until dh or someone can get you some stuff.
pediatrician: if you haven't found one there will be one in call for the hospital that will see your lo and you can change pediatricians later.
As for your new home, congrats! But don't over do it. Focus on one room ata time and only the most important first.
breathe and take care of your self and lo.
Good luck!! I know it can be super stressful but I promise it will all work out! (maybe not exactly how you want but it will be fine.... Took me along time to realize this too!)

This link gives a pretty good breakdown & info. https://www.squawkfox.com/2012/10/05/newborn-essentials-checklist/ Even some of this you can omit depending on where you live, what the weather is like in your area. Also don't feel like you have to buy everything immediately. Stock up slowly if you want to. Just breath. You will be OK. :flower:

Here is a different idea.....Every baby we have had a diaper kegger, like a man shower lol..... We supply the kegs and food and guests bring diapers or wipes...... My 1st son we didn't have to buy diapers til 14 months!!! 2nd son was almost a yr!!!
That alone is a huge help and relief on monthly expenses for baby .....

Don't stress too much about the registry. People won't get you EXACTLY what you choose on there, it basically gives them idea of what to get. There was nothing special about any of the items I choose and I think only one person bought the exact thing.

For my shower, if you brought diapers you got your name in a drawing for a $50 gift card. Let me tell you, I got PLENTY of diapers. And I asked everyone to bring different sizes. It was a great idea. When I decided to just use Pampers Swaddles, I exchanged the other diapers at Walmart.

DD is not a fan of the swing we have. She loves her bouncer tho. As well as a playmat.
Although its on the list as "something you don't really need," my wipe warmer is great and DD loves it.
If you're bottle feeding, a bottle rack to dry was the best thing I received passed down to me.
My MIL has gone crazy on baby clothes, most of which she only got to wear once.
A baby bath tub is really helpful. And I had a little turtle that read the water temp. It says 90-100 degrees is safe, but DD always liked the temp between 102-104.
For the colder days my car seat cover is a life saver! You don't have to bundle up your LO, just a jacket is fine. Its fleece on the inside and it zips up so DD is warm. I also like having a mirror in the back so I can check on low in the rear view mirror

Think about how you want your baby to sleep. This is key to figure out what you need. If you're co-sleeping in your bed, research what you should have. I used a bassinet that I had in our room. DD started sleeping through the night at 3 weeks so by 5 weeks I started her in the crib in her own room and she's been that way since. So if you plan on having your LO in their own room, be sure to get a monitor. I have the Angel care sensor one that detects breathing and it definitely kept my mind at ease. I had one false alarm when DD scooted to the edge of the crib and the pad couldn't sense her.

Talk with friends/family about who they see for a pediatrician. My friend suggested hers and when I was in the hospital I wasn't picky about a certain doctor, but the doctors from my place came to see DD. I had a c section and was in the hospital for 3 days so I saw 3 different doctors which was nice because I liked each one. So now for her appointments I just have them schedule whoever and I haven't had any problems.

For hospital bag its better to over pack than under pack. You never know what could happen. I ended up in labor for 3 days and had a c section and needed to stay for 3 more days. We had no idea we would be gone for nearly a week and did not being enough with us. Our hospital was nearly an hour away so its not like we could conviently leave without paying an arm and a leg in gas. Pack a few outfits for yourself and your partner. You really don't need anything for baby except the take home outfit and the car seat. Thank god I packed cards and games. It was nice when I was in labor for so long. Definitely pack snacks (hospital food can get expensive).

Good luck hun and don't stress! Youll be fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->