need SERIOUS baby shower help!

ryder

Mum to Jasmine & Peyton
Reaction score
Ok, my mom wanted to be in charge of setting up my baby shower... I speifically said, something casual that was NOT a big deal!!!

So what does she do?

She booked a banquet hall in a restaurant for 5:30pm in the evening (this is when most people here eat dinner)... and there are over 40 PEOPLE INVITED!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! And she told me people have to buy their own dinners?

Im seriously loosing my mind here. It is very stressfull. Why would you rent a hall at dinner time and not make sure there were at least some things for people to eat that would suffice? And she just says oh well im doing th best I can... I didnt want a gigantic party and banquet hall!!!! Something casual at 1 in the afternoon would have been JUST FINE!

So...

I have told her, to avoid disastor I will just make and buy all the food myself. I hate the place she booked to begin with and I hate the thought of people coming at dinner to a party and having to BUY their own dinner... The place isnt that cheap to buy food anyways.

So far im thinking:

-cold plates of veggies and dip
-sandwhiches (egg salad, tuna, whatever?)
-homemade dip platters with tostitos
-maybe some fruit plates depending on what else I do

Any other easy recipes of food are welcome! Maybe some things that could be done a day or 2 in advance?

I really almost started bawling when she told me.... Please help!!

I hope that post didnt make me sound like an ungrateful brat... I really didn't want a big party AT ALL! And now that its big and things are lacking from it (food!!!) im stressed.

I'm sorry your mother didn't listen to you and planned something so big when you obviously don't want that! You could always get each person or couple to bring a plate. That way you aren't stuck doing everything when it is meant to be YOUR party! Otherwise I was thinking little things like spring rolls/ sausage rolls with sauce dips.. little things like that.

Of course she has already sent out the invites and stuff so nothing can really be changed.

And for some reason she is reluctant to ask my OH's mom and sister for help... I dont know why, as they could easily bring some food! They are the ones who suggested inviting men to the shower...

Ugh we are just having so many family piss-off's happening right now (with both our moms) this is just becomming increasingly frustrating!

Mine is in 2 weeks at sizzler..im really excited its at 1pm and just a casual thing..

Sorry if she went over the top but im sure everything will turn out all good :D

Make things that will go a long way

ie.. a slab of slice cut up ..so will make about pieces..
a few cakes cut up etc..
cookies..

the easy stuff that you can have alot of :D

Oh Darl, :hugs: Im sorry your mum didnt listen to you! And no you dont sound like an ungrateful brat! I can totally understand how you feel! :hugs::friends:

Ok well what about some chicken nibbles that you just heat up in the oven...they come in a marinade sauce most of them...or some mini pizzas? They are really easy and you can get them ready made from the freezer section in the supermarket! Or else a vege platter? With cottage cheese in the middle with carrots, celery, snow peas (if you can get them). Or else some toothpicks with a cheese square, cocktail onion (you can get white, red and yellow ones in a little jar), and an olive...(all poked on the toothpick...like a shishkabob)...then poke them into an orange to look like a little hedgehog!

Hope that gives you some ideas! :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Oh,I'm sorry :hugs:
You do sound stressed...

We had my baby shower in the terrace of the resort we stayed in in Spain,very small gathering.You're right,smaller would have been much cozier...

But whats done is done,at least you'll get plenty of prezzies! :D

Since it's summer,we had mostly fruit salads,slices of fruit cakes,ice cream.You can just buy it and keep it in the freezer and then make scoops.Pretty simple...

Good luck!

Thanks girls...

Guess im just more mad that she asked me what I wanted and then did completely what I asked her NOT to do and now im having to help save it from a big mess.

I decided im going to strongly suggest she suck it up and ask my OH's mother to bring a couple platters of something... I don't think that is too much to ask of her... She hasn't helped out with anything yet and its her grandchild too.

I dont think expecting some cold platters etc is too much to expect either at a baby shower...

Yeah, I agree with the others. Yummy bread, cold meats, pasta salads, mini pizzas, sandwiches, dip platters, olives etc etc Oh and I went to a small gathering at my friends and she had loads of fruit, marshmallows, puff candy and some other stuff and a chocolate fountain. it was great fun and a great idea :)

Basically everything you can preprepare the night before :)

p.s. sorry ur mum totally ignored your wishes >=( @ her.

Im just in the middle of organising mine alongside my mum, although mine is also going to be a joint 21st for my birthday aswel!!!

Foods, pasta salards are always good and can be done a day before, cook small cocktail sausages, pizza, savoury rice, then like do bows of mixed sweets, harribo etc.

Thanks, she finally agreed to ask my OH's mom for a bit of help with the food... although I think she only caved cause I was so stressed about the food... I told her I would make banana bread and macaroons and give them to her before so no one will know I made them.... and she is going to do up chip platters etc.

Although she still doesn't seem to understand that you cant have 40 people and not at least give some snack foods! She argued about it right till the end! Its all well and good to tell people they need to buy their own dinner... but snacks! At least have snacks!

I kinda feel bad about it, but this is my first baby and the first time alot of our family members will be meeting...

Well maybe im just overexaggerating with preggo hormones loL!

I don't think you're overreacting at all.
Part of hospitality is offering refreshments, I think.
I have a couple of questions before I give any suggestions.
Is the restaurant cool with you bringing your own food to the banquet hall? Before you go and stress yourself out about preparing all these nibbles, you may want to check that it's even allowed. Most places I know would not be okay with you providing your own food as that's how they make their money.
On that note, they might be your best friend on this one. If you can talk to the manager and explain that your mum has put you in this awkward situation, most of them will be very helpful and have great suggestions. For example, they might be able to do cheap appetizer platters for you. When you are calculating costs, do not forget to add up what your time, effort, and stress are worth in comparison to what the restaurant could potentially do for you.
Also, rather than buy their own dinners, you might be able to work out a set menu with the restaurant at a per head price that could include the appy trays. If people were planning on buying their own dinner anyway, you have just made sure that they have a few choices, but shown that you did some work to bring the price down to something quite affordable. I bet you could negotiate some trays of appies, a choice of 3 entrees and non-alcoholic bevvies for less than $20/head. Send out an email to let everyone know and I bet they'd all be cool with that.
It sounds like way too much stress to try to provide snacks yourself.
I'd be close to strangling my beloved mother if she put me in that situation, too!
Poor girl! I hope something works out that doesn't cost too much money or stress on your part!

Ya the restaurant is fine with snack foods and things, it is more of a reception hall or whatever you want to call it within the restaurant...

Because they wont be the main food or anything, people will still have to buy their dinners, its just for people to snack on and such during the whole evening while games a present opening or whatever is going on... And then people can buy whatever meal and alcohol drink they want.

Oh Ryder, I really feel for you! :hugs:

My friend asked me to organise a baby shower for her. I've never been to one as they are not so common in the UK yet. I've done some 'research' and everything is under control...

She asked me when she was 8 weeks gone and by the shower she will be 36 weeks. The funny thing is I'm now pregnant myself! Which is no problem as I'll only be about 17 weeks by then - I just hope she doesn't want to return the favour as I really don't want one... :dohh:

Ya the restaurant is fine with snack foods and things, it is more of a reception hall or whatever you want to call it within the restaurant...

Because they wont be the main food or anything, people will still have to buy their dinners, its just for people to snack on and such during the whole evening while games a present opening or whatever is going on... And then people can buy whatever meal and alcohol drink they want.

In that case, you're on the right track with chips, veggies, dips, etc.
I know it costs more, but go get the pre-cut veg and prepared dips, unless you are a whiz at whipping all that stuff up. Again, it's calculating your time and stress as well as the money. Can you tell how adept I am in the kitchen? :)
My husband took over all cooking when he realized that I considered popcorn to be a hot, home-cooked meal!
If you are really fast and efficient at all the culinary stuff, then go for it - just don't kill yourself getting ready for this party.
My god, if someone had done this to me right now, I think I'd just leave town. I would not be coping well at all.

Dont worry, macaroons and banana bread are easy to make. Which is why I choose them...

So as long as my OH's mom brings something and my mom does chips and whatever else I think it will be ok.

I love planning party's and stuff and I really love making people happy with food an hospitality lol! I guess my mom just doesn't have the knack for doing it :(

Thank you girls!

Your welcome darl....let us know how it goes! :winkwink:

Cupcakes!!! Don't forget cupcakes!!

I went to a shower a few weeks ago. All they had was veggie trays, cookie platters, sandwiches, crackers with some kind of seafood dip, and lots and lots of cupcakes!!

We're having coldplates(salads, cold chicken, etc) at mine for the main thing. My mother is insane, she won't ask for help either!

:rofl: What is it with mothers! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Im sure we will be like that when we are expecting our first grandchildren! :winkwink:

lol, no kidding eh?? Im so shy, the thought of 40 people there for me and OH is scary... he is shy too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->