Need some calming words...freaking myself out as usual!

lovenoel

Reaction score
We just moved up north from FL where I grew up, and I'm adjusting to the colder weather slowly...our new house is heated by oil and we're trying to find the sweet spot temperature-wise that won't turn us into ice cubes and will also avoid us going broke in the process. We've been keeping the house on 64 most of the time, knocking it up to 66 sometimes if we're really cold.

Since we moved up here, I've been using an electric blanket to aid me in staying warm. I'm not working right now, so a lot of my time that's not spent doing chores is spent sitting on the couch reading or watching TV (or alternatively, googling myself into a panic). I love the electric blanket and have kept it on medium without a thought. I don't use it at night to sleep with, but there have been more than a few times that I have napped on the couch with it on. I woke up this afternoon sweating with it on after about a forty minute nap. In my sleep, I'd kicked it half off myself.

It never occurred to me that it could be dangerous now that I'm pregnant (5 weeks exactly today). I googled it on a whim when I woke up just now and of course found a bevy of information telling me that I've fried my embryo via too much heat or electromagnetic waves.

Can anyone offer any reassuring words? I can't believe I never thought to look it up before...

My understanding is that your core temp. really has to be up there for an extended period of time to cause damage. I think you should be fine. Maybe stop using the blanket when you're sleepy though.

Thank you for the reassurance. I think I'll stop using it just to make myself feel better...I can't believe I didn't think to look it up before.

You need to be sweating for your core to be so hot you're harming baby. And electromagnetic waves? Do you allow your dentist to x-Ray your head once every 5 years? Well there's more excited energy emitted to your body in finding out if you'd getting tooth decay than sitting on an electric blanket for 50 years. If you google electromagnetic fields you can see comparisons of x-Ray, MRI machines, cell towers etc.
I have a bed heater that I use every night before I sleep. I leave it on for 30 min while I read and then flip it off when I go to sleep. Also, if you get some down-filled hut booties (a mountaineering slipper), when your feet are toasty, your whole body will stay toasty. MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) sells them for $30. Don't worry so much, stay warm and enjoy your pregnancy.

You need to be sweating for your core to be so hot you're harming baby. And electromagnetic waves? Do you allow your dentist to x-Ray your head once every 5 years? Well there's more excited energy emitted to your body in finding out if you'd getting tooth decay than sitting on an electric blanket for 50 years. If you google electromagnetic fields you can see comparisons of x-Ray, MRI machines, cell towers etc.
I have a bed heater that I use every night before I sleep. I leave it on for 30 min while I read and then flip it off when I go to sleep. Also, if you get some down-filled hut booties (a mountaineering slipper), when your feet are toasty, your whole body will stay toasty. MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) sells them for $30. Don't worry so much, stay warm and enjoy your pregnancy.

I agree. If your feet are warm you will feel warmer all around. I sleep with one of those bean bags you can heat in the microwave. Right on my feet.

On a side note, I ordered some of those slippers from MEC this past week and they are set to arrive tomorrow! :)

I agree. If your feet are warm you will feel warmer all around. I sleep with one of those bean bags you can heat in the microwave. Right on my feet.

On a side note, I ordered some of those slippers from MEC this past week and they are set to arrive tomorrow! :)

Ohhhhh! I have the bean bag too! They're great:thumbup:

That's such a coincidence that you ordered the hut booties. I LOVE them and whenever ppl see me in them they can't help but comment how toasty I look. They make great gifts too at $30. My mom is in love with hers. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->