Need some 'girly' help!

MummyJo

Mummy to 2 girls!
Reaction score
I've never really had much female influence in my life and as such I've never really 'learnt' what to do with makeup. (At 23 years old that's pretty sad!)

At school I had fairly clear skin so never used concealer, foundation or any of that stuff. I did of course experiment with eyeshadow and mascara and ridiculously colourful lipsticks with friends but even those I've no idea how to use -properly- when I use eyeshadow I tend to look like a clown!

For Christmas OH is helping with this by kitting out my makeup drawer (which is currently EMPTY!) but I've no idea where to start.

Soooo what are the 'staples' to any makeup kit? What do I need? What do you have? What couldn't you live without and what sort of colours should I use?
I'm really quite pale and thanks to two children have permanent dark circles under my eyes and patchy skin.

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

For the dark eyes, I would invest in Benefit 'Boi-ing' concealer! Its expensive but it lasts for ages and is very hardwearing! However there is a set called 'Big beautiful eyes' which has a bit of 'boi-ng' in as well (small but lasts long) as neautral eyeshadows for a smokey look without being harsh and black! I swear by it, I could never do eye shadow without resulting in looking like a clown either. This has a little instruction manual and all you do is put the lightest up to the brow, the darker one on the lids and the very dark one in the ridges and it looks perfect!
https://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/...95419-5571530?ie=UTF8&n=48508031&bcBrand=core

Also if your skin is pretty clear but you want a bit of colour they do 'You rebel' which now comes in 'lite' for lighter skin shades. Not heavy like foundation but gives a lovely touch on your skin.

Blusher! i think if you are pale a coral/peachy colour would suit more than a bright barbie pink. I use Mac 'Dollymix' which is bright pink but its expensive and when I'm skint I get any blusher, they all work the same too me, although body shop do lovely ones!

Mascara I just use any with a fat brush to layer my eyelashes!

&
Lipstick or gloss and your good to go!

Can you post a pic so we can see your colouring etc? xxx

I'm really pale as well (pic in my avatar) and a a redhead I tend to use lots of natural colours like bronzes and browns. I do also wear greens and purples (e.g. eyeshadow/liner) if I want to look a bit more party-ish!

I don't like wearing tonnes of makeup so if I do wear any my basic makeup bag for everyday stuff like going round the shops etc is really minimal:

L'oreal true minerals foundation powder (I get terrible spots)
Max factor false lash effect mascara
Some vaseline rose tinted lip balm.

If I'm going out or I want to look a bit more "done" I will use:

max factor colour adapt liquid foundation
maybe some of the l'oreal powder on oily t-zone spots
max factor flawless perfection blusher
brown pencil eyeliner
body shop shimmer cubes eyeshadow (number 06, the brown one) - (4 colours in one palatte - nice and sparkly but subtle enough for the day, and if you use a wet brush they look more dramatic so can also be used for the night)
and a light brown/caramelly coloured lippy

if you're stocking up your makeup back from nothing I would also recommend:

foundation brush/sponge
blusher brush
an eyeshadow applicator brush
an eyeshadow blender brush
an eyeliner smudger (or you can use cotton buds, but I prefer the effect of a smudger)

Hope that helps (oh and how nice is your OH to be treating you to this for xmas!?!)

xxx

Personally, I would just pop into boots or debenhams or somewhere and try some bits on. They will be able to advise you according to your skin colour and preferences! At least then you're not gonna be wasting your money on something that isn't suited xxx

i wont give you names cos i dont believe in them but ill give you tips on what you need,
concealer,foundation,loose powder,mascara,eyeliner,eyeshadow,lipstick
these are the essentials, i would say go for green eyeshadow works great with pale skin, its almost all i use.
make sure foundation and powder matches your skin.
i cant live without eyeshadow and foundation and eyeliner.
the rest is for more done up look, the concealer should make your shadows dissapear.
a pic would help with more specifics.
also i know its not"right" but i use one pencil for my eyes and eyebrows, if you like your eyebrows you dont need to bother with this.
since your a beginner i advice you to get foundation and powder, mascara and lipstick because you wont be used to seeing yourself with makeup but if you like something to stand out like your eyes get an eye pencil

I'm going to sound really stupid but if I don't ask I'll never know!

an eyeliner smudger (or you can use cotton buds, but I prefer the effect of a smudger)

What is an eyeliner smudger for and uhm, why do you smudge eyeliner? Where exactly does eyeliner go?
The few times I've used it I've put it across my lower eyelid (above the lashes just before the eyes) Am I totally way off?!

concealer,foundation,loose powder,mascara,eyeliner,eyeshadow,lipstick
these are the essentials,
Loose powder? Is that the powder form foundation or something different altogether?
Do you use both together or?

also i know its not"right" but i use one pencil for my eyes and eyebrows, if you like your eyebrows you dont need to bother with this.
I really DON'T like my eyebrows, but I wasn't even aware you could do anything to them other than pluck and even after plucking I still hate them!

I'm going to sound really stupid but if I don't ask I'll never know!

What is an eyeliner smudger for and uhm, why do you smudge eyeliner? Where exactly does eyeliner go?
The few times I've used it I've put it across my lower eyelid (above the lashes just before the eyes) Am I totally way off?!

You're not stupid! an eyeliner smudger looks like a brush but it has a little spongey bit on the end. You can use them with pencil eyeliners. You can put eyeliner on your top eyelid, right in close to yuor eyelashes, and/or your lower eyelid (also right in close to your eyelashes).

It took me a while to get used to applying it right - it's quite tricky! I'm right handed so the way i do it is to gently (very gently so you don't damage the delicate skin around the eyes) pull my eyelid a bit tighter to make the skin taught with my left hand and then with my right hand I do little dashes of eyeliner. It's easier to do little lines which build up than doing one solid line.

The reason I use eyeliner is that it really defines my eyes. As I'm so fair my eyes don't really stand out and I look ill lol!

Once you've put the eyeliner on you can use the smudger to go over it and this just blends it in a bit so it doesnt look like such a hard line. It looks more soft and less severe. You don't have to do it, but I like to personally.

Edited as forgot to say - as Amy suggests you can go to Boots / Debenhams and ask for advice, especially on colours (although I would look at the person's own make up first and see what it's like, I find that lots of them wear a lot more heavy makeup than I would feel comfortable wearing!)

Eye%20Liner%20Smudger%208b-70830.jpg

this is a smudger :)

:) this is fun!
you can use an eyeshadow or pencil to thicken and shape your brows, theres a brush thats slanted that makes it easy to apply it to the brow, i even use mascara to shape them sometimes. you can use pencil to fill them in.
see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRVDknObU8M
yes powder is different to the foundation its to set the foundation and absorbs all grease it might not be called that though im not sure.
this might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jt1674nnAU

Thank you!

I'll have to post pictures after Christmas to show my attempts :shy:

Another question.. bronzer?! Where abouts is it supposed to go?

Oh also! Lip liner, essential if wearing lipstick or not really needed?

I used to Body Shop parties hun and I am selling loads of make up thats hardly been used including the brushes :)

If you want I could compile a step by step guide on how to apply and use make up? :hugs: xx

For the dark eyes, I would invest in Benefit 'Boi-ing' concealer! Its expensive but it lasts for ages and is very hardwearing! However there is a set called 'Big beautiful eyes' which has a bit of 'boi-ng' in as well (small but lasts long) as neautral eyeshadows for a smokey look without being harsh and black! I swear by it, I could never do eye shadow without resulting in looking like a clown either. This has a little instruction manual and all you do is put the lightest up to the brow, the darker one on the lids and the very dark one in the ridges and it looks perfect!
https://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/...95419-5571530?ie=UTF8&n=48508031&bcBrand=core

Thank you Amy-Lea!!
Ive had this since last Xmas but I accidentally chucked the little book out with the Xmas rubbish and have just been using the little eyeshadows individually as I had no idea what you are meant to do with them!
So thank you,now I can actually apply it properly :rofl: xxxx

That's really really sweet hun and would be much appreciated! xx

I don't bother with lip liner personally, but if you do buy one, get a colour close to your lipstick colour. Draw a line just on the inside of your natural lip line (i smudge it ever so slightly so its not so obvious) then apply lippy. The purpose of lip liner is to define the lip and act as a barrier to prevent the colour "bleeding" onto the skin around your mouth. xx

I used to do Body Shop parties too :) it was fun :)

i would also say to have a look on you tube there is a lady on there who shows how to apply make up - she is very good - altho i cannot for the life of me remeber her name !!

perhaps one of the other ladies can help (she taught me how to use eyeliner - shes very good )

lipliner not essential. but i use it instead of lipstick so it just gives me a hint of colour and isnt shiny like lipstick

i would also say to have a look on you tube there is a lady on there who shows how to apply make up - she is very good - altho i cannot for the life of me remeber her name !!

perhaps one of the other ladies can help (she taught me how to use eyeliner - shes very good )

her name is Lauren Luke, she is now doing a slot on this morning! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->