Need some opinions on a dress for a funeral.

RainbowDrop_x

Reaction score
I just need some opinions. I'll be going to a funeral soon and as awful as it sounds I'm struggling with what to wear. Please don't think bad of me, it's my Grandad's funeral and the only black dress I own is the one I wore to my mums funeral and I can't wear that dress again, I know it sounds stupid but I just can't.

I've narrowed it down to 2 I just don't know if their... Appropriate :shrug:

https://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn45/KayleighJayne02/4ff2fd2d5e4029355bf6174025acca30.jpg

Or

https://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn45/KayleighJayne02/5052ccb8c94cd143046002a30889f003.jpg

Sorry for your lose. I totally get what you mean about the dress you wore to your mums funeral:hugs:

I don't really think either is appropriate (sorry) if I had to choose I'd say second with a black cardi covering the top? Do you have to wear a dress? How about some smart black trousers and vest top or blouse, with a wee cardi?

Sorry.

Sorry for your lose. I totally get what you mean about the dress you wore to your mums funeral:hugs:

I don't really think either is appropriate (sorry) if I had to choose I'd say second with a black cardi covering the top? Do you have to wear a dress? How about some smart black trousers and vest top or blouse, with a wee cardi?

Sorry.

No don't be sorry I need honest opinions as I'm really struggling :nope:

It doesn't have to be a dress I was just thinking with the weather being warm it would be a bit more comfortable. Then I wasn't sure if it HAD to be all black as I remember some people at my mums not wearing all black, I just don't know :nope:

I think they are. I don't wear black to funerals, my great grandmother forbade it and for her funeral I wore a white and bright pink floral summer dress.
For my nanas funeral I was breastfeeding and that was tricky but I wore beige/brown leggin

Either is appropriate and both are nice although I prefer the one with the flowers. Would your granddad want you to wear black? Because if you think he wouldn't mind you could wear whatever you feel comfortable in. There is no real reason to wear black if you're a close family member. It's not disrespectful unless they wouldn't have liked it. I'm sorry you lost your granddad. :hugs:

I prefer the second one but think you could probably wear either.

... leggings, knee high boots that she admired and a muted pinks and brown zip up puffball dress.
To others I've worn navy silk dress, a kilt with a brown top.
Xx

Depend on the arrangements really. To a normal funeral, to me personally, neither are appropriate at all.

However, my grandma said everyone to wear purple, so just depends on circumstances. I wouldn't choose either though personally.

Sorry for your loss. I don't know about appropriate as it's individual to the person and their family but personally I would wear the second with a black cardi, I would feel uncomfortable wearing flowers to a funeral unless they had requested it

If you want something a little more traditional:
https://www.cosstores.com/gb/Shop/Women/Dresses/Silk_and_jersey_dress/46881-12552821.1#c-24479
https://www.cosstores.com/gb/Shop/Women/Dresses/Cotton_pleated_dress/46881-14801977.1#c-85342
https://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/pro...978?refinements=Colour{1}~[black]&bi=1&ps=200

I think both are appropriate! I personally would wear all black but I know a lot of people that wear things like the two dresses above with that bit of colour in them!

i have a funeral next week and i'm wearing
a floral top so i think it just depends on the person
and the circumstances

i prefer the second choice though

:flower:

Sorry for your loss.

I went to a funeral recently and whilst not everybody was in all black, everybody was in dark/muted colours.

I wouldn't, in all honesty, choose either of the dresses you have put up (no offence, I like both of them, just not for a funeral). When deciding what to wear, I thought about what I would wear to an interview for an office job, and it seemed everybody else who attended did the same thing!

That's what concerns me the most, is that I might offend someone which I really don't want to do.

Would this one be better (without the red bag and nude shoes)

https://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn45/KayleighJayne02/6a4798758d7d42d88a7640ca6b951a69.jpg

Offend someone? It's your own grandfather...
What would he like you to wear?
Xx

Xx

He would honestly tell me to wear what I'm comfortable in, in fact he'd probably tell me to wear the Celtic shirt he gave me years ago :dohh:

I just worry that what I'm comfortable in (which is something with a bit of colour) might have people calling me brazen. We've already had a member of the family kicking off because other members of the family paid tribute on Facebook I just don't want to give anyone any cause to moan again if that makes sense.

:hugs:. I wouldn't wear either of the first 2 personally, but as others have said it is what feels right for you and what you feel would have been in keeping with your grandfathers wishes. The third dress I'd wear with a vest top underneath, if it is cleavage-y.

Xx

He would honestly tell me to wear what I'm comfortable in, in fact he'd probably tell me to wear the Celtic shirt he gave me years ago :dohh:

I just worry that what I'm comfortable in (which is something with a bit of colour) might have people calling me brazen. We've already had a member of the family kicking off because other members of the family paid tribute on Facebook I just don't want to give anyone any cause to moan again if that makes sense.

I'd be inclined to wear celtics colours then ;-)
Unless you are flashing a bright red thong then no one can call you brazen or whatever.
Don't get stressed, anyone who knew him would understand, take his advice and wear what you're comfortable in.
I hope that the days goes as well as can be expected :hugs:
Xx

To my daddy's funeral last year I wore a maxi dress, which was a black background, but had a LOT of colour all over it. In fact it was mostly colour. I didn't care what others thought of me, it was my dad and he loved that dress. To my grandad's I wore something navy blue and white (I was 11 and to be honest, thinking back it was hideous!) - but to be honest I can't remember what other people were wearing to my dads, I just cared they were there, not what they were wearing.

Yes a funeral is a somber time, but you're also there to celebrate the life of that person. I personally think the first dress.

I think both are appropriate. I've never worn a plain black dress to a funeral because I don't like the idea of it, but that's just me, I've always cleared it with family members first and if they'd of said it's not ok I wouldn't of worn it.
To my Great Nans in January I wore a dress from H&M, it was black and sort of skater style but had a very subtle rose print over it and I paired it with a black blazer and black heels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->