Need some Votes! Name help please :)

Bella1185

Reaction score
DH and I are going around and around about names. We simply can not agree on anything normal - and if we do it somehow always sounds ridiculous with our last name! So we finally found one we both kinda like - however- now we disagree on the spelling and pronunciation.

Which one do you all like better?
Madeline (with the ending sounding like that in 'caroline')
Or
Madelyn (with the ending sounding like that in 'brooklyn')

Oh also I should probably also say that DH doesn't particularly care for the nickname "Maddy" so he suggested her nickname could be "Adlie". Hmmm... What do you think?

PLEASE help! I'm hoping giving this lttle girl a name will help me bond with her more and get excited for November when she is due :) I'm about 27 weeks now!!

THank you!!!

Voted on madelyn because I think it's spelt differently and I like it. X

Oh no i voted madeline before reading what you wrote! I was voting for that spelling, i thought they were both pronounced the same. I prefer Madelyn how you pronounce it but spelt the other way (if you know what i mean!) woops

I prefer the spelling Madeline but pronounced Madelyn!!! Not been much help!!

^^ WSS

You might want to warn your husband that you don't get to pick your child's nickname - you can call her what you like but the rest of the world will pick their own regardless, so if you call her Madeline, she will end up being called Maddy by at least some people.

Not sure where Adley comes from, or if I'd like that as a nickname - what about Lyn, or Dilly/Deeley?

^^ WSS

You might want to warn your husband that you don't get to pick your child's nickname - you can call her what you like but the rest of the world will pick their own regardless, so if you call her Madeline, she will end up being called Maddy by at least some people.

I was named after an uncle that died in Vietnam (a Christopher, my name is Christina). My dad tried to nickname me Chrissy because that was my uncles nick name but I insisted on calling myself Nina. I refused to respond to the name Chrissy, it just wasn't ever me.

I also like the spelling Madeline but pronounced Madelyn.

I like a third spelling option: Madeleine. Pronounced like the end of Brooklyn.

wow thanks everyone!! I had nooo idea there were so many options! Follow up to those who asked - DH got Adlie as a nickname by just knocking off the "M" "E" and the "N" out of "Madeline"! Who knew he was so....creative? lol!! thanks again! :happydance:

Oh no i voted madeline before reading what you wrote! I was voting for that spelling, i thought they were both pronounced the same. I prefer Madelyn how you pronounce it but spelt the other way (if you know what i mean!) woops

Me too!

We have a little girl named Madeline at my daycare right now-we struggled with pronunciation because half of us thought Madelyn, the others Made-LINE. Turns out it is supposed to be Madelyn.

So, because of that I will vote Madelyn-just easier to figure out how to say ;) and much less confusion in the future for your LO. As for the nn I do think it will come naturally to those caring for her but if you specify a preference early on I am sure whatever you wish will be honored :)

We have a little girl named Madeline at my daycare right now-we struggled with pronunciation because half of us thought Madelyn, the others Made-LINE. Turns out it is supposed to be Madelyn.

So, because of that I will vote Madelyn-just easier to figure out how to say ;) and much less confusion in the future for your LO. As for the nn I do think it will come naturally to those caring for her but if you specify a preference early on I am sure whatever you wish will be honored :)

There is a children's book series and now cartoon called Madeline. She lives in an school for girls and they take trips around London, Paris and whatnot and she is always going on adventures and getting into trouble. Her name is pronounced Mad-el-line.

There is a children's book series and now cartoon called Madeline. She lives in an school for girls and they take trips around London, Paris and whatnot and she is always going on adventures and getting into trouble. Her name is pronounced Mad-el-line.

thats why I think mad-a-line but isnt that a classic book, im sure I had the video think I had the computer game too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeline_%281998_film%29

thats why I think mad-a-line but isnt that a classic book, im sure I had the video think I had the computer game too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeline_%281998_film%29

I think it came out in the 1920's by an Australian autor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->