Need support & encouragement, struggling with first teeth coming through :(

threebirds

Reaction score
Hi, my LO is 10 1/2 months and the first bottom tooth is only now coming through but I'm finding he is hurting me quite a bit. Sometimes it takes a while for the milk to flow and he is biting down in frustration, and also when the flow dwindles. I do want to keep going and I'm trying to take him off when it happens but every feed / suck is ending with me getting a painful nip / bite. I'm also exhausted as he is still feeding 3-4 times a night. Last night he went down at 7 with a feed and then he fed again at 12, 2.30, 4.00, and I've been up since 6. He is what I call a functional feeder and only feeds for 5-10 mins, he's not a comfort sucker. Also we feed 80% of the time from one side and have done most of the 10 months, I'm really scared he'll hurt that side and then the other side really isn't producing much. He also won't take a bottle.
Thanks for reading.

oh that sound so rough! I am sorry, I have no good advise for you. But I applaud you for sticking with it! Even if you quit right now I applaud you for sticking with it as much as you have. I hope when I get to the point you are at I will be able to hang in there like you have. :hugs: I hope someone can give you some good advise.

My DS2 bit me only once and I yelped when he did and it made him jump and cry and I felt so bad but he never did it again. BUT I have read that you don't really want to do that because it can make the baby afraid to nurse again. I didn't mean too, it just kinda happened because he took me by suprise.

What if you tried to get your supply up to more than baby needs? Maybe then the milk will flow nicelyuntil your LO is done and then you can pump the rest to make sure it stays plentyful??? I really don't know, that is just kinda a shot in the dark. Again :hugs: You are AWESOME!

I'm facing a similar problem. My LO is 8 months, and has gotten 6 teeth in the last 3 weeks! He isn't biting much, but his latch seems all wrong now, and he's scraping my nipples something fierce; they are so sore.

When he got his first two bottom teeth, he bit me a few times. The way I got him to stop was gently pushing his face into my breast so he had to open his mouth wider to breathe. Yelping and/or pulling him off the breast seemed to be counterproductive, and he thought it was hilarious when I screeched in pain. However, interuppting his feeding by making him open his mouth seemed to discourage the biting.

Now I have to figure out how to get him to correct his latch so he's not scraping me to shreds with his new chompers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->