Needed progesterone last time. Will I need it again?

Kern

Reaction score
Hey so I'm worried. Just found out my OB for my son no longer delivers babies. The new OB I called won't draw blood until my first appointment, one month from now. I called my pcp and they can't see me until Monday. You think I'll be ok for three days if I needed progesterone my last pregnancy? I don't want to freak out but I sort of am. If I needed progesterone last pregnancy is it pretty much guaranteed I will need it this time and should I buy some otc stuff knowing it could skew the blood draw Monday?? Ahhhh I don't know what to do!

It's really hard to say, I know some people that have had progesterone for one pregnancy and not had it for another and others that have continued to need it.

I'm in the UK so we don't routinely get a blood test to check HCG levels or progesterone here, but I had recurrent miscarriages and so they did some tests and found I had low progesterone on my last miscarriage before my rainbow baby so prescribed it for the next (and subsequent) pregnancies.

This time, I found out I was pregnant whilst I was on holiday (Thursday morning) and phoned my GP who wanted to prescribe progesterone again (without testing my levels) and she sent my prescription into the pharmacy for me so that it would be ready to collect the Saturday afternoon for me when I got back. She wasn't concerned that I wouldn't be taking it from Thursday morning to Saturday afternoon x

I've had progesterone for my previous 2 successful pregnancies. This time around my prog levels were so high, the dr was very surprised that I wasn't carrying multiples. It's hard to say without a test what your levels are but just because your levels were low for one pregnancy, it doesn't mean they will be low for subsequent ones. Hope that helps. Xx

Thanks ladies. Hate to be so worried so soon. I looked into getting some otc progesterone but they said they're very inconsistent. So I'll wait until Monday and just hope this bean is a sticky one. :baby:

You can start taking the progesterone. Then tell the doctor. It won´t make you any harm.

Ok I need help. My pcp just let me know they don't perscribe progesterone. All the obs I call won't see me until 8wks because now I'm a new patient. So basically I have to decide whether to take the otc cream and hope it works or is not too much or not and just hope I don't lose the baby because of that before 8wks. What's would you all do?

I'm so stressed. :cry:

In my first pregnancy, I didn't know I had low progesterone until week 7 or later and everything turned out fine.

This pregnancy, I called and asked to have blood drawn at 4 weeks for progesterone and my progesterone was okay. Then, my appointment was at 8 weeks and I had it tested again and it was low that time. I'm on progesterone now, and so far so good!

Some doctors don't even believe progesterone supplements make a difference in keeping a baby viable, but I say better safe than sorry.
If there's absolutely no way you can get some from a dr. I would try the otc kind. What could it hurt?

In my last pregnancy, I had really low progesterone (we're talking single digits) and I went to two different OBs, neither of whom believed in progesterone supplements. They both had the attitude that if the pregnancy is bad, it's bad and the progesterone supplements only delay the inevitable. So of course I was super stressed that I wasn't getting any help for my baby and was preparing for the worst. Turns out, the progesterone went up as time went by and the baby is 2.5 years old now. So fast forward, I'm pregnant with number two and had no progesterone issues this time around. Every pregnancy is different and of course get the supplements if you can but know that if you were to be denied them for some reason, it doesn't mean you will for sure lose the baby. Good luck!

Thanks y'all. Definitely making me feel a lot better. I just worry about it and there is so much info for and against taking progesterone. It's funny and confusing! I mean, I've made it this far without it and it should increase over time right? But then if I could save this pregnancy with taking otc it seems silly not to. Ahhhh the decisions and second guessing. So crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->