needle phobia

Tacey

Reaction score
Hi!

I've had a phobia of injections since I was about 12 which has got worse over the years (I'm 24 now). I also find blood pressure and blood tests really difficult. My blood pressure drops, I find it hard to breathe and I usually pass out after the test/injection.

I'm planning to try start trying for a baby soon, but I'm terrified about all the injections and tests I'll need. I can (and do) have these tests, and I would make sure I did everything necessary when pregnant but I'm concerned that the drop in blood pressure would harm the baby.

Has anybody had any experience of this before? How many blood tests etc will I be likely to have?

Thanks for any help!

I,m the same hun, I've had about 8-10 injections/tests.

Good luck xxx

Golly,that's more than I expected! Would it affect the baby if I pass out?

Im not a massive fan of needles, i have to look away when they take any blood or give me an injection, and i tend to get dizzy and light headed.
When ever i have to do this, i make sure i take a sugary drink with me, this tends to help.
If you tell the M/W about it when it is being done, they have really good skills at taking your mind off it.

I have had to get a few blood tests and the like done. I always just make sure to mention that Im not very good at them and also bring along something very high in sugar. You could have a convo with your GP about it to make sure that if they are aware of your attempts to concieve that when you do, they can organise to do any tests at a point that it would be less harmful to baby if you did pass out.

Hope this helps x

That's super, thank you! I like the high sugar plan too (good excuse for a fizzy drink and a bar of chocolate...). I'll have a word with my GP at my next check up.

Thanks!

You could try asking if they can give you a topical anaestheitic called "Emla" cream. It is put onto the area where the needle will go and left for a while to nmb the area. If htey don't have it at the doctors, they may let you get you bloods one at the hospital. We use it on patients all the time and it works really well.
Good luck hun!!!

I always ask for a thinner needle. You honestly don't feel it as much, and tell them that you HATE having it done. I had to have 1 a day for a week when I was in hosp a week or two ago, it sucked but they got to me needing smaller needles etc ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->