negativity about blw

lyre

Reaction score
hi all,

i really want to do blw when my lo reaches 6 months. my parents and oh are happy with it and think its a good idea (we live with my parents at the moment), however, i recently told my friends (who dont have babies) and they looked at me like i was wanting to do something abusive to my lo! and they wanted to know was i sure you could do that, maybe i should check.....blah blah blah....they seemed to think it was some new fangled thing and i was silly for being taken in by it.

just wondering is it a new thing? what does the medical profession think of it? do i need to expect negativity from them too? just looking for reassurance really, as i have never heard about it before bnb.....is it common?

thanks, sorry for the ramble.:flower:

It's not a new idea but I suppose you could say it's kind of 'in fashion'. My HV's are now recommending it over traditional weaning and I think that's a follow on from the recommendations to BF and to wean at 6 months, BLW is kind of a natural extension to this (well I think so anyway!).

I've had similar reactions to you from some people but I just point that things move on and change all the time, most of us don't put our LOs to sleep on their front anymore either, and really, do they think that cavemen puréed food and put them in ice cube tray etc for their babies? I find it bizarre that some people think it's so unnatural to be presented with food and be given the opportunity to explore it themselves.

The best way to deal with them is to do your research so when someone criticises by making some ignorant comment you can come back at them with a well informed answer and shut them up :)

Dom85 has said it all really.

It is natural basically. All animals naturally develop self feeding skills at the time they start to need more than milk. Purees are for people who have difficulty chewing and swallowing, which normal, healthy 6 month olds born at term don't.

it has always been done but people never spoke about it and it never had a name

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->