Negativity towards BLW

kellyc1987

Reaction score
All I seem to get at the moment is negativity against baby led weaning from family (mainly my mum & nan). Lucas is a week away from 6 months and I have been giving him baby rice for about 2 weeks. He has really great hand to mouth co-ordination and I think is definitely ready for BLW.

The other day I gave him a finger of toast with egg yolk mixed with baby milk spread onto it, he loved it he literally ate it all, even picking up the bits he dropped on his tray and eating them and not gagging/choking at all... So I was telling my mum and nan about it and they both freaked out and told me I should 'just buy the jars' until he is older

I have given him a few home made puree's which he loves and I gave him a bit of a jar which he absolutely hated and I tasted and cannot blame him, it was awful!!

So today I gave him some avocado sliced with a bit of skin on for him to hold/chew and he devoured it... I think I'll just carry on with BLW and not tell them :haha:

I'm to shy to tell them that he is my baby and I know him the best and if I thought in any way he wasn't ready of course I wouldn't give him real food!!

Anyway rant over

Sounds like they're just a bit outdated? Could you give them a leaflet or something that says it really is a 'proper' way of weaning and not just gonna choke your child like they think! I think it's just so different for them as they're used to all the purees etc.
personally I think blw is brilliant, my 20 month old has been eating independently since 6 months old and has been feeding himself with a spoon for a while. I did purée weaning with my oldest son and he took ageeeees to learn to feed himself

I think people get a bit prejudiced when they hear it has a "name" as they think it is a fad. BUT however you wean, you should be introducing finger food at some point around 6months so that LO can learn self feeding skills. Maybe just stear clear of saying anything about BLW and just say finger food or family food - they might be more familiar with these terms. Really though I dont know why they need to be involved at all, unless they care for him part of the time and need to be on the same page about his development.

If he's eating it and is almost 6 months, go with it. Leo isn't ready for it and it's very obvious. If yours wasn't ready, you would know!

Technically, if you're also giving purees and your baby is over 6 months old, as Noon Child says, it's not even counted as BLW! It's just standard recommended weaning.

Just trust your gut and go with it. We got the same from family. My daughter is 2.5 now and is such an adventurous eater and we had such a positive experience doing BLW. Those same family who thought we were crazy, now have nothing but compliments for the choice we made, are always telling everyone about how well our daughter eats, and said they wished that this was something people did when they were raising their own children because it's such a better way to approach food. They've totally changed their tune now that they see the results. So just stick with it and once you feel a bit more confident let your family be around your LO to see how well he eats and how much he enjoys it. They'll come around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->