Nervous about 12 week scan and screening tests

Jennifurball

Mother of 1 and a bump!
Reaction score
Anyone know what they are actually looking for in these tests and what they do?

I know about the nuchal fold for downs, but what else? Also can they tell anything else that may not have developed properly or will I have to wait until 20 weeks? I am feeling so nervous. I had bleeding on and off which makes me more nervous that it was a warning for something. Baby was fine at 7 weeks but I can't help but worry. It has been such a long wait.

I know I have done all this before but I didn't seem to worry on my first, it all seemed to go swimmingly.

I believe they'll also look for spina bifida. I can't remember what else though....good luck though, I hope all is well.

At 12 weeks they can look for a range of disorders including downs as you've mentioned and also checking the heart and other body parts to make sure they're fully developed/in the right place/size for the gestation. They can also check on any trisomy illnesses that baby may have.

The 20 week scan looks more into the anatomy side of things for the baby including brain, bones, abdomens, heart, face, spinal cord along with other body parts to determine if they're all working correctly.

There are things that can be picked up at the 12 week scan in terms of any worries, but also things can be fine at 12 weeks and something come up at 20 weeks. Try not to worry, the odds are in your favour :) xxx

They check basic things like arms and legs (just that they're there), that the brain has two halves, the spine (just a basic check but the blood screen also checks for spina bifida). They also check the placenta and amniotic fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->