Nervous about Jabs! Advice needed :help:

history_girls

Mummy to 2 Girlies
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning my LO has her 8 week jabs. I want her to have them but I am nervous about how she is going to be about them. I caught her with my finger nail yesterday (very lightly) and she screamed the house down! Ive got to take her on my own so....

I am seeking advice on 1) how do you help them when the injection goes in? 2) do i take the car, carieer or the pram to the doctors as she will scream afterwards and 3) what was you LO like afterwards?

Just want to be prepared!

my lo had them this morning. not much you can do when the needle goes in. afterwards though i breast feed him for 5 mins to calm him. he did cry but nothing more than he does when he's hungry. i took the car and car seat so that i could get him home quickly to feed him. he also sleeps instantly in the car. he is grisly now, but i'm just feeding him constantly and its keeping him occupied. i'm keeping an eye on his temp too as if he gets a fever i was told to give him calpol, but only if he does. hope this helps, its really not that bad and its much less stressful than any of the diseases it protects against.:hugs:

I had my LO's done last Friday and although yes she did scream it lasted about 30 seconds and that was that. Are you having your 6-8week check as well? If so you'll need somewhere to put her so a pram or a carseat.

A little warning though as I didn't know this first time round, it's actually 2 injections your little one will have. One in each leg.

Aftwards they can be a bit miserable and grissly and some develop temperatures (you can give calpol from 8 weeks and they often advise giving them a small dose to bring the temp down if your LO gets one.)

With both of my two I found they slept a fair amount for a few days after but other than that they're fine.

Hope that helps.

xx

Ive got 2 lo's and with Harrison, he didn't even flinch when they did the injections - I was in more of a state than he was! I was also lucky that he didn't seem to have a reaction afterwards with any of his injections, so think I was quite lucky there.
With Dominic, when he had them done, he did cry but the nurse started clapping her hands which shocked him a bit and he soon forgot what he was crying about. After his first lot of jabs, he was quite grizzly about 24 hours later so we gave him a little calpol. Ive heard it gives them a headache which is why they get grumpy. He also had 2 lumps on his legs where the jabs went in, but they didn't seem to bother him at all.
I don't drive so I walked to the doctors with the buggy and both Harrison and Dom were fine during the walk home afterwards.

Our surgery doesn't allow prams inside and it's not the best area so I always wear him or take car seat if I get a lift.

I was told to give Calpol half an hour before & breastfeed after. The first lot he cried a bit but was OK but he was a bit warm and restless in bed that night so gave Calpol and he was fine. Second lot I made him laugh immediately after and had no tears but the tetanus caused a lump which lasted over a week. He had his third lot today and wouldn't take Calpol beforehand and screamed the place down but has been fine since. I was never given the option to breastfeed after and they allow about 4mins an appt here (ours was 10.27?!) so it's straight in straight out, I normally finish dressing him in the waiting room but today they were quite good. We have 2 nurses who jab at the same time though which helps!!

Brandon had his 4 month jags today! Brandon screams when he gets them, but it doesnt take long to get him to calm down! Its never a sore cry...more of a "I cant believe you would do that to me" cry!

I took along one of his favourite toys and that helped him forget for a wee minute! I always take him in his pram as he prefers his pram to his carseat!

He has never had any reactions to his jags...he seems really sleepy since he got them done today but he is still happy enough! Wee lamb!

I do think its harder on us than them! x x x

They'll scream and cry for a couple of minutes but it doesn't last very long. My babe stopped crying in about 5 minutes. I just held her and rocked her while telling her everything was ok.

Just be prepared to cry yourself... the entire day. Everytime I thought about her reaction I started to tear. It's so sad to see LO get hurt intentionally. :(

Zander had his 1st on Tuesday i held him while 2 health visitors jagged each leg at the same time, which is a good idea instead of separate jagging. He gave a scream out initially and then as soon as he was held by the hv and walked about he stopped and fell back asleep! My daughter was the same, to be honest its when they get older the problems start.

We took the car to the doctors and carried him in in his car seat, afterward we went to the supermarket were he slept continuously. He had a slight bump on one of his legs because he moved his leg when the jag went in but apart from that he has not been up or down and isnt off his food.

Good luck i am sure he will be fine.

my lo stopped crying within about 30 seconds. I was all ready to pop a boob in her mouth to calm her but she stopped in seconds - literally. I was advised to give her pamol (your calpol) once I got home and before bed that night. She slept more that day but was fine and happy when awake and back to normal the next day! A huge deal for us mummies but doesn't really faze bubs!

Freya was fine very quickly after the jabs. I did give her some pamol a couple of hours before, and later that day too. She slept a lot, but then got a bit grizzly later in the day. She slept well that night though, and was absolutely fine the next day.

Imi cried for about 10 seconds at her first jabs but the second ones, with the first jab she didn't even flinch - with the second there was a wimper and that was it. I took her in in the car seat and she had stopped crying before we left the room both times. I carried her back into waiting room and had to sit there for 15 mins to make sure she didn't have a reaction. She was then fine when we got home - no different to normal :)

DD cried for a few seconds, and it upset me more - as she gave me a look as if to say HOW could you do this?! She was then fine, tears wise. However, the next few days she was very unsettled, and basically wanted to be with DH or I 24/7. We let her sleep on us, so just stayed awake in shifts. Then, a couple of mornings afterwards, she woke up and was back to herself!

We always go to the docs/baby clinic in her pram, as it's an easy walk...and she loves, loves her pram.

I hope all goes well for you - and like many have said, don't worry if you feel stressed, I was very teary and felt awful!

Well all over and of course you were all right and she was absolutely fine. We walked down in the pram (very cold and icy) and arived bang on time. She made eyes at everyone, not a squeak on the first jab and then big bottom lip wobble and cry for the second. Then sat like a lamb flirty with the old men in the waiting room! She has been sleepy so far today - even through her 18 month old cousin's attempt to stick a bread stick up her nose! Lets hope tonight goes ok and we don't get snowed in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->