Nervous - advised to stop progesterone pessaries

Lirpa11

Reaction score
Hello, DH and I went through ivf and got a bfp. They had me on progesterone pessaries twice a day from the embryo transfer. I was on them for maybe 3 weeks. 4 days ago the nurse said to stop taking them altogether.

My progesterone was climbing very high, and was around 380 a week ago (didn't get the levels on Friday when I finished taking the pessaries). Last pessary was Friday morning.

Now, my progesterone is only 260. From what I have read, that's still very high and great for sustaining the pregnancy, but I'm just worried it could drop low, quickly.

Anyone else been taken off progesterone this early at 5 weeks?

I haven't lost a pregnancy before, but then again I've never made it to the bfp stage.... If my hcg levels are great (over 30,000 at 5w6d), will that help keep progesterone up etc?

This seems a bit odd to me but I don't know if it varies by clinic and/or country.

I've just been through my second round of IVF (I'm now 11+2, 1st attempt ended in a mmc), and on both occasions I was told to take my progesterone gel until day 76 of pregnancy (almost 13 weeks). I was told to stop the progesterone after my first attempt, only when a mc had been confirmed. However, UK clinics don't monitor progesterone levels, betas etc., so perhaps they tell us to keep taking it to be on the safe side.

From what the nurses told me, they ask you to carry on through the first trimester, as the placenta will take over progesterone creation after 12 weeks.

Hope that helps! x

Thanks, I was told initially I would be on them until 12 weeks as well. They have been monitoring my progesterone levels and hcg levels twice a week though so maybe they can tell I am making progesterone myself?

I don't know. I might just call up tomorrow and ask why for my own sanity. I'm sure there is a valid reason.

I think that's a good idea! I'm sure they have their reasons for telling you to stop but like you said, it would help if you understood why, especially when they initially told you 12 weeks.

Like I say, levels aren't monitored in the UK as a rule, so that may have something to do with it x

No way. I'm always on them until 12w and even then I'm allowed to wean off!

I would double check as its not usually a good idea to stop until the placenta has taken over.

ps. I'm on them for previous recurrent miscarriage, as first trimester support, so maybe that makes a difference? Not sure xx

No way. I'm always on them until 12w and even then I'm allowed to wean off!

I would double check as its not usually a good idea to stop until the placenta has taken over.

ps. I'm on them for previous recurrent miscarriage, as first trimester support, so maybe that makes a difference? Not sure xx

Mine's the same. I have to take it every day until day 70, and then every other day until day 76 x

https://fertstertforum.com/kohlsg-early-progesterone-cessation-ivf-icsi/

I found a study that says 5 weeks should be ok. I'm thinking it's because my body is making it's own progesterone already so maybe that's why they said to stop.

I'll post an update when I call the nurse at lunch.

I was originally told I'd be on them until 12 weeks, but at 7 weeks they dropped me down from one every night to one every second night, then at 8 weeks they took me off them altogether. The placenta does start producing progesterone from around 8 weeks, they probably think you're doing OK without the supplements. My progesterone is just as high now at 11 weeks as it was at 7, without the pessaries.

Just spoke to a nurse, she said they stopped the progesterone as my levels were lovely and it looks like I am making my own progesterone.

You need at least 70, and I had nearly 400. She said they are monitoring it for the next few weeks and will bring the progesterone back in if it looks like I am dropping low (260 yesterday) but according to my levels in the past tests over 3 weeks they are confident that I am making enough without the added support.

That makes me feel better :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->