New and after some advice

raquel1980

New Mum to twins
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm currently 32+4 with twins, pprom at 27 weeks and severe IUGR in one of the baby's - would really appreciate any advice or experiences with my current situation.

If I don't go into labour I will be having a planned c-section at 34 weeks so not long to go. The SCBU in the hospital I'm booked into usually takes baby's from 28 weeks but is currently being refurbished so can't take baby's until they're 32 weeks at the moment. So, I thought getting to this week meant we were safe and we would be able to deliver at our chosen hospital but my consultant told me today that they're not comfortable delivering there due to the IUGR in one of the baby's and they would like to move me to a different hospital, which really doesn't have the best reputation and is only a Level 1 Unit and is inconvenient for us (just to say that I wouldn't have a problem if it was a unit with better level care but this isn't).

Do I have any say over this at all? I have 2 other hospitals which I feel would be better, both of which have Level 3 Units but I get the feeling that because they are outside the Trust my hospital is in they won't even bother asking despite me keep mentioning them, they keep mentioning the same hospital rather than considering any others which I mention. I get the feeling that they just want me moved to another hospital so that I'm not their problem anymore rather than having the best interests of my baby's in mind. Being moved is stressful enough as it's basically like starting again with no-one knowing my circumstances and the complications I've had (even my current consultant gets things wrong and I have to correct him almost every time I see him!).

I just want to know that I'm being moved somewhere for the good of my baby's but it doesn't feel like that at the moment. Sorry, this has turned into a really long post - I'm feeling the stress today after a very long and complicated pregnancy I thought the end was in sight and we were now in a bit more of a stable position but that doesn't seem to be the case after all.

Thanks in advance, Rachel x

I don't really know the answer this but i have learnt that you can't force hospitals to take babies even when you desperately want them to. Have you considered contacting the preferred hospitals yourself? Maybe if they agree then you could go to your hospital and say such and such hospital are expecting them. I really don't know enough about it but i felt that "pass the baby" is something hospitals do sometimes when they don't want to have to worry about it.

You can choose where you give birth. The NHS made this pledge a few years ago.

If you are certain the hospitals you prefer are more suitable in terms of NNICU / SCBU care for your children, ask to be transferred to the Maternity Service and a Consultant at your chosen hospital. They have a responsibility to allow you to do this, whether you live in the area or not. But you do have to accept that it may well be possible that you may well end up being transferred if an emergency situation arises. Or being taken to the nearest suitable hospital if you are taken in by ambulance.

I never had a problem with IUGR but I did have my girls early.. Chloe and Jaycee were born at 29 weeks and the hospital I was booked at to have them only delivered babies over 34 weeks so I had to be transferred to another hospital where they had room. I went into labour at 29 weeks and 8 days and I was told the room they had for the girls was taken by another two prems born in between that time so they had to be sent to another hospital.. The girls went to a hospital in Kent over 70 miles from my home and I stayed at the hospital I had them. I didnt see them for 5 days..

You can choose where you give birth. The NHS made this pledge a few years ago.

If you are certain the hospitals you prefer are more suitable in terms of NNICU / SCBU care for your children, ask to be transferred to the Maternity Service and a Consultant at your chosen hospital. They have a responsibility to allow you to do this, whether you live in the area or not. But you do have to accept that it may well be possible that you may well end up being transferred if an emergency situation arises. Or being taken to the nearest suitable hospital if you are taken in by ambulance.

Yes you can choose but they cant make room in a neonatal unit for the babies.
I would stay where you are if they have spaces for the twins.
When I had the girls I just imagined in a way (silly of me i know) That the neonatal nurses just waited for babies to be born but I couldnt of been wrong. There was a new baby every day when I went to see my babies.. It was shocking so neonatal spaces are few and far between and its not like you can call up and book plus you have two. Finding two spaces is even harder. I know I was there. They were calling as far as southampton and portsmouth to take me.

Laura - I see you're in Mitcham, not far from me - I'm in Purley so just down the road! I can't believe you didn't see your girls for 5 days, that must have been heartbreaking for you.

Thanks for all your advice, it is so tricky as I know that wherever I end up, even if they have a level 3 unit, if there are no cots available then they will need to be moved again anyway. I just feel that the hospital they keep mentioning isn't the right one, it is only a Level 1 unit whereas my current consultant is saying that one of my baby's is likely to need more support than a usual 34 weeker would due to her size and IUGR (she's measuring around 4 weeks behind).

I've written a letter to my consultant over the weekend to try and get my point across - don't know about anyone else but I always come away from consultant appts wishing I'd said something more. All I would like is for him to try and get us transferred to Kings hospital for the c-section, I have been there to the Fetal Medicine research centre for all my scans so I already have some history with them and feel that they would be very well placed to help us and will at least have the equipment needed to stabilize them if they then need to be moved elsewhere.

Thanks x

Laura - I see you're in Mitcham, not far from me - I'm in Purley so just down the road! I can't believe you didn't see your girls for 5 days, that must have been heartbreaking for you.

Thanks for all your advice, it is so tricky as I know that wherever I end up, even if they have a level 3 unit, if there are no cots available then they will need to be moved again anyway. I just feel that the hospital they keep mentioning isn't the right one, it is only a Level 1 unit whereas my current consultant is saying that one of my baby's is likely to need more support than a usual 34 weeker would due to her size and IUGR (she's measuring around 4 weeks behind).

I've written a letter to my consultant over the weekend to try and get my point across - don't know about anyone else but I always come away from consultant appts wishing I'd said something more. All I would like is for him to try and get us transferred to Kings hospital for the c-section, I have been there to the Fetal Medicine research centre for all my scans so I already have some history with them and feel that they would be very well placed to help us and will at least have the equipment needed to stabilize them if they then need to be moved elsewhere.

Thanks x

Ahhh yes I know... What hospital are you booked at to have the babies? I was booked at Epsom and taken to St Georges, I had them there and then thy were taken to William Harvey in Kent.
If your saying its only a level one and they think the babies are going to need level 2 or 3 then they need to be transferred to a hospital able to deal with that.
The girls would have been brought to St Helier from William Harvey but Jaycee had a Long Line and they class it as a level 3 so she couldnt as they were only a level 2.

Yes you can choose but they cant make room in a neonatal unit for the babies.
I would stay where you are if they have spaces for the twins.
When I had the girls I just imagined in a way (silly of me i know) That the neonatal nurses just waited for babies to be born but I couldnt of been wrong. There was a new baby every day when I went to see my babies.. It was shocking so neonatal spaces are few and far between and its not like you can call up and book plus you have two. Finding two spaces is even harder. I know I was there. They were calling as far as southampton and portsmouth to take me.

Of course it goes without saying you can only go where there is room:haha:

We very nearly had to be transferred too. I took the last neonatal space in Scotland when Abby was born - and I jumped the queue. They were about to transfer me to either Newcastle (4 hours away) or Sheffield (5 hours away) when I started bleeding heavily. Luckily they had a space in Stirling for me, but they were incredibly busy that night.

But it might well be that the hospital being offered to the OP is full on the night. At least if she transfers to one she is happy with, she has a chance of her babies staying there.

I can't help with the questions relating to hospital cots/transfers but just wanted to let you know my son was born at 34+6 with severe IUGR but did really well. He didn't need any assistance with breathing, he spent 3 days in an incubator but only in air (no oxygen) and for warmth. He managed to get rid of the ng tube about 4 days. He did spend 4 1/2 weeks in total in scbu but only really to 'grow' and maintain body temperature - he came out of the heated cot about a week before he came home.

Wishing you luck and hope you have as uneventful scbu journey as us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->