New baby....new mattress???

Sweedot

Esmé and Teddy's mom
Reaction score
My dd just recently transitioned to a twin bed and we are reusing her crib for the new baby. I was going to clean the mattress (steam clean it) and reuse this and buy new bedding.

When I told my mom, she flipped and said we must absolutely buy a new mattress...since they harbour mites and bacteria etc which an be dangerous to nb! I was not sure if she was over reacting or if this is the general consensus? My mattress was high quality, I feel wasteful throwing it after 18 months...or should I just buy a new one to be safe?

She said the same for bassinet too!

Advice please.

I didn't....I always had a waterproof pad between my daughter and the mattress anyways.....I don't see a need for new baby considering once again my baby will never be directly on the mattress.

Pretty sure mites are pretty much always present really. I would replace any mattress that were given to me but probably not one used by my own child unless the mattress is deformed from kiddo using it. I think I'd be happy with a good clean. Like pp said, mine would have been covered as well so I don't see the need to replace it. :flower:

I was always told new baby new mattress due to risk of SIDS, I am paranoid about it so will be buying a new one (plus there will be 3 years between our children so it's not like it's a short space of time). The military provide furniture to rent in military housing and it is their rule their baby mattresses are never used when you get one, brand new ones are always given no matter how little one was used for (but we're buying our own, just saying as an example) I would just be far too paranoid and I am generally an easy going parent.

we're reusing ours... it's completely waterproof and still looks brand new.

we were going to reuse ours but I did some research and I found actual evidence that they can harbour bacteria and that increases the rid of SIDs

I think the advice is more for people who get furniture from second hand or hand me downs.

If I was passing them between my kids I wouldn't bother, just steam clean like you said and it will be fine I'm sure. It's not like it has been stored in a dusty loft for years. Especially if its a waterproof one the bacteria won't be able to get into the material so a steam clean and wash with disinfectant will be fine

I will try and find the article but what I read said you shouldnt even pass them between children

I'd be funny about using someone else's used mattress for my baby but not when it's been used by my own daughter. I'm reusing both Moses basket plus mattress that my daughter used and when big enough will reuse my daughters cot and mattress as by then my daughter will be ready to move to a toddler bed.

i wouldnt purely bcos even if it doesnt seem so the matress will have dents in it also
sids awareness sites say use new matress

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1935034.stm

I know it says foam mattress but most mattresses have a layer of foam in them.

"Baby vomit which soaks into foam mattresses might help explain some cases of cot death, research suggests."

so if your mattress is completely waterproof, nothing is soaking in anywhere... I would never get a mattress from someone else (for my kids or myself) but knowing how it's been taken care of, and that it's been cleaned constantly... it would be a waste of money to get a new one IMO.

I can see how reusing a foam mattress would be bad, those things get nasty pretty quick and retain everything even if you try to clean it.

See ours had a layer on it but it went through as it had holes in it.

I wasnt saying you cant but I was showing what I found.

Ours has a waterproof top but yeah still not risking it, it just frightens me too much and I'd never forgive myself if anything happened even though I'm sure it wouldn't be the reason.

Pink Flowers are you reusing your push chair and things? We are reusing our travel system which has the carry cot and car seat which obviously baby will sleep in for short amounts of time, I'm just a little concerned about them being dusty and how to clean them.

I'm resusing everything or getting it from family, there have been a few babies in the family recently so lots of pushchairs cribs Moses baskets floating about. I'm going to steam clean it and take off the washable bits and spray it with disinfectant then air it.

Without wanting to sound daft, how do you steam clean?

I got rid of everything when I had depression last time so everything is new.

I think to steam clean you just by a small steam cleaner and do it like that x

Yes either buy/borrow a handheld steam cleaner, you can usually pick them up cheap on eBay or local selling pages and they are super handy for cleaning toys etc when baby is here. Alternatively you can take then to dry cleaners and get them to steam them for you x

ah - yeah I've seen some that are still 'breathable' and could understand how those wouldn't be good after a few years. I think we could put ours in a lake and float on it - it's not porous at all

ah - yeah I've seen some that are still 'breathable' and could understand how those wouldn't be good after a few years. I think we could put ours in a lake and float on it - it's not porous at all

Ours had like holes in the waterproof cover... No idea how that makes it actually water proof :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->