New baby....new mattress???

LOL yeah that sorta defeats the purpose! Why would they even make that? Is it so if baby is sleeping face down they can still breathe?

I had read this article on how mold can develop inside kids toys... and totally freaked out about DS' bath toys - sure enough, cut one of his duckies in half... and there was mold inside it... threw everything out! I would assume the same could happen in a mattress, right?

LOL yeah that sorta defeats the purpose! Why would they even make that? Is it so if baby is sleeping face down they can still breathe?

I had read this article on how mold can develop inside kids toys... and totally freaked out about DS' bath toys - sure enough, cut one of his duckies in half... and there was mold inside it... threw everything out! I would assume the same could happen in a mattress, right?

Its a "breathable" layer but yea defeats the point of having a water proof cover as its not water proof.

DS1 isnt allowed bath toys... I read somethig similar and did the same and chucked them all out.

Hmmmm, well I did some research myself also and decided for the sake of abt 90 bucks it's just safer to buy a new one. I have steam cleaned the old one, it was a good quality mattress. I have a good hand held steamer which I use for cleaning our furniture.

I did notice once I took the mattress protector off that formula must have leaked through as it was stained in places, it "looks" clean now but in the deeper layers of the foam it may still be dirty.

I gave my dad DS's old one to use as a dog bed but I'm regretting it now because I am sure it would have been fine for my mum's spare cot which Ds2 probably won't be sleeping in till 6 months+ when I won't be paranoid! It was am expensive one too!

I might get a new bassinet mattress but dont think I will get a new cot mattress. By the time the baby moves into the cot she will be about 4 months, and at 5 months we will be going abroad for 3 months at which point she will sleep in the portacot. I have a waterproof mattress protector so I can take that off and wash it.

Bekkie the thought of you dissecting a poor little duckie made me laugh! But if they arent putting the toys in their mouths it cant be that bad, can it?

I might get a new bassinet mattress but dont think I will get a new cot mattress. By the time the baby moves into the cot she will be about 4 months, and at 5 months we will be going abroad for 3 months at which point she will sleep in the portacot. I have a waterproof mattress protector so I can take that off and wash it.

Bekkie the thought of you dissecting a poor little duckie made me laugh! But if they arent putting the toys in their mouths it cant be that bad, can it?

They always put them in their mouths though don't they? :haha:

LOL - I really don't know TBH, he is far past the 'putting things in his mouth' phase but I thought maybe the mold could still get in to the bath water? I know that mold in walls and stuff is bad because people can breathe it in so I was thinking along those lines. I figured better safe than sorry, especially since they're like $3 for a package.

Quick question for u ladies!!

We are planning on reusing my sons mattress for the baby. I never took the plastic off the mattress. My mom had it in her attic for a good long time. Do you think its still safe? I was planning to take the plastic off it and give it a good scrub just incase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->