new baby stuff or second hand?

mrsholmes

Reaction score
As I am nearly 12 weeks, I have started to look at what I may need for the baby! However everything is just sooo expensive and although me and my OH have good jobs, we cant afford to buy everything new, as we have to save for me to have a year off work to have money to live off as the SMP wont be enough and I wont get anything the last 3 months!

What did everyone do? Did any one buy everything new? If you bought second hand what wouldn't you recommend second hand?

Ob I would like everything brand new but its not possible:hissy::hissy:

I'm being given things second hand.. But, I think the only thing I've heard is best to buy brand new is the crib, car seat and stroller.. Just because of all the safety issues and what not... As long as you clean everything else, there shouldn't be a problem..
Clothes, toys, exersaucers, etc.
I'm sure even bottles could be used again providing you really really sterilize them.
We have a really great second hand baby store here in Ontario, and they have basically everything you could imagine, in great condition.. You may have something where you are! :)

Personally so far the only second hand things I have bought are baby clothes off ebay! I dont see anything wrong with buying second hand things but I prefer to buy the 'big things' new. I like to know where things have come from. but as long as your happy for your baby to use second hand things then thts fine, most things can be washed perfectly anyway!! xx

thanks im thinking mostly clothes, im hoping to bf anyway.

I'm lucky and have managed to get most new. My mum bought my pram, auntie bought crib, dad bought cotbed etc etc but I did get a lot of clothes off of ebay. Only think I wouldn't get 2nd hand is matress and car seat X

So far i've bought a bouncer second hand and a fetal heart monitor thing. I went to see a second hand moses basket last night by mamas and papas and it was lovely, just need to get a new matress.
I also bought an ex-display buggy off ebay for £100 rrp £229 and theres not a single scratch on it! I will buy the car seat and car base new.

Local papers are great for finding stuff in your area and ppl dont mind you popping along to view, better than taking your chances on ebay!
x

we are getting lots of stuff second hand from friends and family etc, and most of it i am fine with only things i am bothered about being new are cot, pushchair/pram and car seat i thik and poss sterilizer don't know why i just think they get a bit grimey! all the bits like monitors and stuff like that are no worries cos baby does't even touch them.

my parents are buying us the pram and I have seen the nursery furntiure I want from Ikea.

are the micro sterilizers any good? x

Buy secondhand as much as you can!
Babies grow so fast. It makes no sense to me to pay full price for things they'll barely use!
My husband and I made an education savings fund our priority for baby and have kept a really strict budget on the nursery spending. It's very easy to go overboard because everything for babies is so damn cute, but resist!!!
Every single one of my girlfriends with a baby told me that they could not believe how much stuff for baby did not even get used. It's so wasteful and it creates so much clutter. And if you look into how much interest will accumulate on money you put away for baby now, it's pretty impressive.
That year with baby that you are putting money aside for is worth so much more than a fancy new pram or crib. I think you totally have your priorities straight.
I must admit that I also get the Bargain Baroness thrill when I score deals secondhand. I love saving money on stuff like that and putting the difference aside for baby. All the internet sites are great. I scored a huge deal on a secondhand stroller. Just do an inspection of it and make sure it's in good condition. Car seat and mattresses are probably best new, I agree. But again, if it came from someone you know and trust, you can use your own judgement there.
Two other things that have been hugely helpful to us:
1) pooling baby gear with friends. Cost = nothing. Access to a whole bunch of stuff: swings, jolly jumper, nursing cushion, sling, breast pumps, etc. It lets me try things out before I decide if they are a necessity or if they suit me and baby. As long as they are treated with care and cleaned well, everyone benefits. And I'll add items of my own to the pool to be passed on to other new mums.
2) consignment shops. We have a few in Calgary where you get store credit for things you bring in and can apply that to future purposes. You cannot beat the deals on clothes. Lots of gear in there, too. I do this for clothes for myself and it saves me a fortune as well as keeps me stylin'! :)
Sorry, I'm a little zealous about the secondhand stuff, but it's so much smarter for the planet and your wallet, and it doesn't mean that baby will be dressed in rags. There is a ton of great stuff and it's not hard to find. Have fun with it!

i've had some gorgeous newborn clothes from ebay, as they just don't get worn out, the in-laws bought the pram as a family tradition thing, and i got a government grant for the nursery furniture, i got the cot mattress and sheets etc from ebay as well as brand new curtains and cushions off ebay in the nursery style i wanted. my friend has given me a baby rocking chair, and i had new moses but i woould of had 2nd hand but just bought a new mattress.
microwave steamers are fine i think, i use the cold water style so i can make bottlles as i go and steriliser dummys as and when they need to. i have a milton steriliser someone gave me. i8'm planning on bf'ing also.

dont know if this will be any use but i have a nearly new sale coming up near me and this charity is meant to be really cheap so just type in ur area and c if one is near u xxx

https://www.nct.org.uk/in-your-area/nearly-new-sales

We did a mix of both, we had a crib given to us and some second hand clothes. We were lucky in that our families bought the car seat (which I would never buy used just for safety reasons), stroller, and swing for us. If you do buy a used crib I would recommend a new mattress (again safety reasons and they really aren't that expensive--we got ours on sale for $30). Oh and ebay and craigslist are two good places to find used items. A lot of the things like bouncers, swings, jumperoos etc. there is no reason to buy new. Most people use them for such a short time that they are in really good shape

car seat and materesses cant be second hand more or less everything else is ok to be 2nd hand

Take second hand from any family members who are finished having children for the time being, etc. I'm getting a playpen from my aunt, and a high chair from another aunt. Also got a brand new car seat in immaculate condition from one of my mother's friends, she was the grandma and bought her own car seat but it didn't get used THAT much.

My parents have bought us the crib and conversion kit so it will turn into a double bed when the time comes, and can also turn into a toddler bed.

I'm looking for a glider with ottoman, I wouldn't mind getting it second hand, but we'll see.

We've been given just about everything second hand as ours is going to be the tenth grandchild on my side so lots of stuff for passing on. We've a couple of new things bought for us my my DH's relatives. Like you I'll be down to SMP and we'll be tight for money. We could never have bought all these things in a million years!

dont know if this will be any use but i have a nearly new sale coming up near me and this charity is meant to be really cheap so just type in ur area and c if one is near u xxx

https://www.nct.org.uk/in-your-area/nearly-new-sales

thank u!theres one a couple of miles away!

it does seem a waste whe the stuff is ony going to be used a few times!

ur welcome hun..i got told that someone got a cot used a few times from a sale and it was 20 quid!!! its all for charity aswell so shud be good i am going to one next saturday :) well excited lol xxx

I got tonnnes of clothes of ebay etc .

I think some things are nice new , But like you i couldnt afford everything new ... So i was given a second hand cot and baught a new matress . Loads cheaper then new and it looks amazing with the extra i had left i could splash on a stunning bedding set to go in it ,

Good luck . xx .

thanks im thinking mostly clothes, im hoping to bf anyway.

When it comes to baby clothes there not so much second hand but 'nearly' new lol....there only in them for 5 mins so there's no harm in checking out Ebay bundles xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->