new baby stuff or second hand?

I got alot of the clothes this time from NCT sales and ebay. Bought a new pram, carseat and steriliser though

So far Iv braught everything new apart from my moses basket. Im going to be getting new cotbed and changing unit after Christmas. But I think I might buy some second hand baby clothes as there not in them for long atall before the next size needed :)
Xx

We've gone for a mix of new and second-hand (really, nearly new). Ebay has been FANTASTIC for baby clothes - just about all the 2nd hand clothes we've bought there still had the tags on them!

We bought the cotbed mattress and the carseat new, but our cotbed was a 2nd hand bargain from ebay - used for about 3 months, only a couple of scratches - got it for £10 instead of £200! Also saved about £200 on our Quinny Buzz by getting a nearly new one on ebay; we were able to pay cash on collection once we had given the pram a good look over to make sure we were perfectly happy - there are some great sellers out there!

got all but a few things second hand - going to buy car seat and cotbed new, that's all, tho we've been lent a newborn seat.... secondhand is the way to go!

I bought most stuff 2nd hand. If you buy locally you can check the stuff if ok before buying it. I got clothes online. It's just a waste of money buying stuff new, when there is perfectly good 2nd hand stuff, they only use it for a short time, and then you're stuck with all this stuff you have to get rid of.

The amount of $ that has to be spent on medical bills, nappies, "real expenses", you won't be short of things that have to be bought/paid for. If you save by buying things second hand, you'll may be able to put that money towards music/babygym sessions, etc.

I would recommend a new car seat. New clothe diapers (if you are using them), and an updated crib, check for defects very carefully if you have a used one, baby tubs too (foam gets molded).

Also new personal care items baby will stick in mouth, or have touch body with direct contact of skin.

I guess everything else can be second hand that I did not list or did not think of..... clothes are really only worn for such a short time when they are newborns. I think most of the wear is from washing them :)

Hoping to get most stuff second hand - better for the environment - especially wooden and plastic things :) That being said, Ill have to do a lot of research on safety, etc. Here we have Craigslist, so thats pretty good!

A

i managed to save majority of my things from when i had DS 5 yearsa ago. only things im buying new are most clothes (saved vests etc) the pushchair and bottles i think. the steriliser was mine when i was a baby! moses basket is 15 years old (was my aunts and its done my cousin, my DD, DS, friends son and now scarlett!) sheets are 11 years old.. im just a hoarder i guess!

I find that everything gets stained anyway ! I have gotten a ton of new things as gifts but the rest is secondhand. I'm too thrifty to blow money on new clothes- I'd rather spend it on toys and things he'll actually appreciate.

I got given alot of 2nd hand clothes, also had a 2nd hand cot and pram.
The only thing I didn't buy/get that was 2nd hand was the pushchair/baby seat as you don't really know how much wear and tear it's really had.

i had lots of stuff second hand, my family always laugh at me because everytime they comment on something and say how lovely it is i say oh that was really cheep on ebay!

anyway just remember to keep all your stuff and when your little one grows out of it or its no long needed you can re-sell it and make yourself a bit of money for the next size clothes you will need. all my little girls clothes and shoes are bought with the proceeds of my ebay selling and she always looks lovely!!!

most all our stuff is brand new. I did get a couple things from a friend who has a 6month old little girl, but that's the only second-hand items i have. Of course i *could* have probably saved bundles if i shopped at consignment stores for second hand items but i am a nut and like it brand new :blush:

I think most of our stuff will be new but I am a bargain hunter so I won't be buying anything full price !

We have been offered a few things for free second hand which I will be having as they are big things like cots etc.

Clothes wise you can get the babygrows, outfits, etc so cheap from Primark, Asda, Tesco all the big stores you might aswell get them new as I can't see there being much difference in the price and they will grow out of them before you know it.

One thing I have noticed that out of the baby clothes I have been given from my ohs sister is that the quality of the mothercare clothes is far superior to that of the tescos & asda clothes so I would be prepared to buy the mothercare clothes second hand but as the others are so cheap I would just get them new.

I've gone the all-new route for the major stuff, bed/bedding/car seat and prams. Mostly second hand for clothes.
My kids have tended to grow out of newborn stuff within the week, so I dont see the point in spending a fortune on them just yet.

i know what you mean! So far I have been given the following things

food warmer
sterliser
moses basket
clothes

the rest we bought ourselves but its a good £200 worth of stuff we didnt have to buy.

mama2b, I got a job lot of 27 items off ebay, most either worn once or twice, no stains, completely immaculate - the rest new with tags for £14 including postage. You can't buy new clothes from tesco/asda for that price.

we will be buying nearly everything new, as alot of the family have offered to buy some things for us!! the only things we have had second hand is some clothes which was given to us by my OH's sister who had a baby 5 months ago.
clothes in asda, tesco, matalan are so cheap i think you might as well buy new rather than buying second hand for not much difference in price. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->