New Dr Who

It was a competent opening episode. It does what it needs to do and does it reasonably well. It was an interesting look at the regeneration process. I liked the idea that the body had completed it's regeneration but his mind and personality had yet to catch up. So it was supposed to be manic and scattered, at least at first and it makes sense that he kept channelling previous incarnations of the Doctor! Matt Smith only had about 15 minutes when he was being his own Doctor and I quite liked the mixture of the whimsical and the authoritative- he was almost like your favourite primary school teacher, lovely and funny and playful when you're good but woe betide if you're naughty! I was talking with my OH and the friends that came over to watch it with us and we decided that he was basically almost an emalgamation of William Hartnell (the 1st Doctor), Colin Baker (the 6th Doctor) and David Tennant, which is quite smart (OK, I know that that'll mean nothing to anyone who doesn't know anything about the original series of Doctor Who!). I was also very happy indeed to see the TARDIS change. It was one of my major disappointments with the new set of series as I was expecting it to change between Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant as it had done with all the Doctors previously so it was brilliant for me to see a change with the personality of the Doctor. It makes sense as the TARDIS and the Doctor are linked. And what a change it was! I much prefer this TARDIS to the last one.

Stephen Moffat is a much better writer than Russel T. Davies and I really look forward to the rest of the series. From what I can gather, Moffat has decided that he's going to tie up some loose ends that he'd left from the episodes that he'd done in previous series, most notably River Song and I do expect Jenny to come back at some point in the future (although not this series!). It's probably going to be a much more frantic, active series than those previous as one of the reasons they cast a younger actor as the Doctor is that they needed someone who is more capable to do a lot of the more physical, energetic storylines!

In short, I enjoyed it and look forward to the rest of the series. I can definitely rest easy knowing that future episodes can't be worse than Waters of Mars!

Beca :wave:

Well i hadn't watched Dr Who for a while, primarily 'cause i couldn't get on with Catherine Tate and Russell T. Davis. I am so pleased that they're not on board anymore, I think the new series is ace so far. Can't wait for the follow on from Blink!

It's ok, not the same without DT though :( And does Amy Pond only own short skirts? I guess they are trying to appeal to the dads! lol

I thought Saturday's was the best yet. I'm really starting to like Matt Smith in the role.

I loved it :) I wasn't expecting to like Matt Smith so much - like some other ladies, I was a firm David Tennant-a-holic, and was really going to miss him. I always knew that I'd love the stories, I think that Stephen Moffat (who's now in charge) is one of the most talented individuals at the BBC. The episodes he's done previously are amongst my favourites. Particularly "Blink" (the original with the weeping angels) and "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead" (the 2-parter with River Song).

Did anyone else just go "squeeeee!!" at the "Coming soon..." thing at the end? River Song! Weeping Angels! Crazy Cybermen! Daleks with the Union Jack on them?! Vampires?! I am sooooo excited about this series now :rofl:

You said it perfectly. Stephen Moffat did all my favorites. Blink is my all time fav and I screamed with joy when I saw the weeping angels in the previews.

I was pleasantly suprised with Matt Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->