New here.. Will take all the advice I can get!!

HaileysMommy1

TTC baby #3!
Reaction score
Hey ladies! I am currently 6w5d and have decided that I would like to do a natural birth this time around. With DD I had an epidural right away, didn't feel a thing the entire time (I honestly don't even know what contractions feel like), and almost had to get an emergency c-section because the Pitocin caused her heart rate to drop with every contraction.

I'm devastated that I missed out on feeling what it's actually like to go through one of life's miracles, and I definitely do not want to make that mistake again! I'm not able to do a home birth due to other circumstances, and I would love to do a water birth but that is not offered in hospitals here.

So I was wondering, what should I expect? What resources are out there that I can read/watch to learn more about natural childbirth? I don't want to be laying in a hospital bed the entire time I'm in labor. Instead I want to be active, doing everything I can to help labor progress and to deal with the pain naturally. What can I do in the hospital? Walk, sit on a ball, etc?

Any advice or insight would be incredibly appreciated! Thank you! :flower:

Are there any birth centres or MW-led units that offer water birth where you are? I had a water birth and found the water a great help with pain relief.

There're several books I read, but the only one that springs to mind right now is Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. There's a website I remember on pain management techniques but I can't remember the name. If I do I'll add it. Oh, a book on pain management techniques is Juju Sundin's Birth Skills, I think it's called. I used several of the tricks in there. A TENS machine is great if you can get one. Really recommend hypnotherapy too.

I found a birthing center! I emailed them to ask if they take my insurance and how much it will cover. I have a feeling it won't cover nearly as much in a birthing center as it would at an OB office. Hopefully I'll hear back good news! They offer water births so I would love that :)

Luckily I have a TENS machine I was given when I used to see a chiropractor and I wouldn't have thought to use that so thank you! I'll also be sure to check out the books you mentioned.

Thanks again! :hugs:

Another vote for hypnosis for birth. I used Natal Hypnotherapy, and had a fantastic experience - completely pain free and drug free. I would also recommend Maggie Howell's book "Effective Birth Preparation". It has lots of hints, tips and tricks to help you. If you have any questions about the Natal Hypnotherapy, feel free to shout me.

Watch "The Business of Being Born" - eye opener! Possibly triggering for you in places, but overall very positive with lots of good info :)

I also used hypnosis and had a very manageable, low-pain labour :)

I'm so sad, the birthing center emailed me back and they are all booked for September. And the only other midwife close to me only does home births. What heartbreaking news :(

Looks like I'll just have to do everything I can possible to have the same experience in a hospital!

I'm definitely going to look into hypnosis for birth. Is it something OH would learn and do for me?

Madasa, I have watched The Business of Being Born, in fact it is the reason I decided I wanted to do everything natural this time around! It is an AMAZING documentary, but I saw it a few years ago so I want to rent it again because I forgot a lot of the information. But you're right, there are a lot of things they mentioned that happened with the birth of my daughter, and it made me hate the hospital and doctors!

i had a fully natural birth at a hospital though I used a midwife. It's def doable. I didn't do any hypnotherapy and stuff like that. I just went with a relaxed mind and it was fine.

I would do a natural birth all over again. It was painful but sooo worth it for me :)

try reading this book! It's got tons and tons of great reviews and was recommended by numerous ladies I know who have had successful natural labors and births. I just ordered my copy and now waiting for it to come in the mail. I'm really excited :)

https://www.amazon.com/Birthing-Wit...60646067&sr=8-1&keywords=birthing+from+within

Totally possible! I had a natural birth in a hospital. I do recommend getting a doula! Second best thing to a midwife:)

I'm so sad, the birthing center emailed me back and they are all booked for September. And the only other midwife close to me only does home births. What heartbreaking news :(

are you in the US? if you are, look up and see if you have a Birth Network chapter that meets near you - the people who run that would have all sorts of excellent info/sources for you. Another thing to consider is going with a CNM who has faculties to deliver at a hospital - not all midwives only do home births and CNM's are more likely to let you go natural at a hospital - CNM's are usually on staff at a regular OB practice.

good luck! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->