New kitten has fleas :(

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I bought a kitten last week, she's 9 weeks old. Today she was sitting on me and I saw some little orange bug crawling on her. Then I inspected her closely and saw a few fleas, at least I think they were fleas. They were little black things. I've used some frontline spot on tonight and it says it will kill fleas within 24 hours. I've also flead my 3 year old cat but can't see any fleas on him. Kitten is booked in for her first injection on Saturday and I'm going to ring the vets in the morning to see if they can deworm her on Saturday too.

Is there anything else I need to do? I've never had any experience of fleas before and I've read online that fleas can kill kittens and now I'm really worried :(

Masking as you keep on top of them then you should be fine. Frontline isn't the best to use anymore , best are advantage and advocate which are both available from the vet (advocate goes by weight however) wash all bedding and get a spray called rip fleas or indorex which are better then shop brought sprays. Spray it all around your house and that should get rid of them x

My kitten came with them and it's been a night mare!

I used acclaim on the house altho you have treated your cats u need todo the house ! Can buy acclaim off amazon for 10pound it's brilliant ! Start with upstairs down all the cracks and edges ect it's a nightmare but protects the house for a year :) vacuum before hand and after..good luck x

^^ I agree about Indorex, if you treat the house with that as well it'll blitz it x

salt and bicarb on the carpets before hovering is good for drying out eggs. Tumble dry soft furnishings if you can on a high heat. Let the cat roam the house, if theyve got flea stuff on then the fleas will jump on for a meal and die so the cat will help get rid of the fleas just by wondering the house. Hoover round all edges and in the sofa etc and empty the hoover after youve used it straight into an outdoor bin. I also combed my kitten with a fine comb and dipped the comb into boiling water after every brush to remove and kill any eggs :) Good luck x

Thanks guys. The fleas seem to of gone now.. Fingers crossed!

I'd spray the house in another week or two just incase there's any eggs lying around that will be hatching soon :) glad you got on top of it! They're awful x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->