New mom here! When does nighttime feedings slow down?

Kelx44

Reaction score
I have a 5 week old and thought I would have too be getting up every 2-3 hours too feed for a year + but when I was reading through people's posts on here I noticed that lots of ppl only get up once or even none at all. When will I get that satisfaction? Lol 3 months of age? Six? And why don't they need too feed at night? Is it because you introduce solids? Someone pls explain this lol what was your strategies for getting your baby too sleep though the night? I know my baby is still very young but just curious for the future! Thanks!

My daughter went from feeding every 2-3 hours to feeding maybe only twice during the night (which worked out to be about every 4 hours) at maybe 9 weeks, I think. She kept up with having usually 2 feeds a night but sometimes only 1 until maybe 6-7 months and then it was one feed a night until 9 months. From 9 months on she wasn't interested in a night feed. It didn't mean she didn't wake up. She could wake up hourly or at least every 3 hours or so. But she just didn't need to eat. It's been since around 13 months that she's STTN completely without waking up at all (it's not every night, some nights it's still 1-2 times a night, but that's totally manageable). For us, she stopped needing a feed when she really started to pick up the amount of solids she ate, which was at 9 months. I really don't think there's anything you can do to encourage it (though some try!). It will happen on it's own. We never night weaned or did any sleep training. It just happens when they're ready. In my experience though, you'll likely see a change somewhere around the 6-10 week mark. It will always be changing though, particularly with illness and teething and developmental jumps. My daughter slept worse at 8 months than at 8 weeks. :dohh:

My lo sleeps through the night and honestly, I have no idea why. There, unfortunately, are no tricks or tools to get them to sleep that long. Every baby is different and have different sleep schedules. Some babies sleep through at only a few Weeks, some need one feed a night and some are up every two hours for a year or two. My lo changes her sleep pattern regularly too...she went from sleeping 12am to 9 with multiple nighttime feeds, to only needing one, slowly she would go to bed earlier on her own and now, at almost five mos,, she sleeps from about 7-8 until 7:45am with no waking. We have just let her do get thing and this was her result. Now, she just had her four month needles and woke up once last night again, so that may be the end of sleeping through the night. Also have to consider sleep regressions, growth spurts, teething and wonder Weeks which all effect sleep. we have been super lucky that our lo is such a great sleeper but really babies are not programmed to sleep that long...no idea why some do!

Oh and our lo is not on solids yet as she's not six months! Food doesn't generally have alot to do with sleep though...many parents try feeding cereal at night or extra formula but if your baby is going to wake up there's not alot you can do about it.

My daughter was a terrible sleeper, she woke up all night. And I was fanatical about trying different methods to get her to sleep longer periods. She didn't consistently sleep through the night until she was 3.

I am sooo much more relaxed with the new little man (I know it's early days) as I know mainly it didn't work with Isla. But at first he was waking up every 2-3 hours to feed, day and night. But already I have noticed he is going longer. Last night he had a feed at 8pm, fell asleep at about 9pm and didn't wake up until 1:30am for a feed, then his next feed was 5am and then 8am.

The only thing I have been doing with him is interacting with him (just talking and showing him things and cooing etc) when he is awake. He likes to have a bath too, so we do that and have a massage. I put him on his mat or in his bouncy chair for a bit too. I think just trying to show a difference from day and night helps.

my lo stopped night feeds at around 11 or 12 weeks. I feed him on demand and he just stopped himself. During the day he takes 5 x 6oz bottles and feeds every 2 and a half to 3hrs. His last feed is usually between 8 & 9pm then he goes to sleep until between 5 & 6am, i give him a cuddle and he goes back to sleep until between 7.30 and 8.30am. He's not on solids yet.

My boy has slept through the night since 8 weeks. We are all about the routine here, and it works. What we realised was that when we were waking at 3am to his noises, we were actually getting him up and feeding him, rather than his crying waking us. So we left him. And he slept til 5am. Now he goes down at 7.30pm and is up at 6.30 and has done these times since about 11 weeks.

For us, by 5 or 6 months the feeds at night slowed down from about 3-4 a night to about 2 per night. I think starting solids has a lot to do with it.

Our LO is 7.5 mo, and she is still up for one feed per night generally. She goes down for the night about 8pm, and is up generally between 5-6am for a feed, then back to sleep for another 2-3 hours before she is up for the day.

It depends on how much she eats before she goes down for the night though. The other night, for example, she only ate about 2-3oz before bedtime @ 8pm, and was then up 12:30 am, fed and changed; and was then up for the day and had a feed about 7:30am. We basically just follow her lead, always feed her if she is hungry, etc.

every baby is different, and even your baby will differ probably every night..
my little boy started to almost sleep through at about 2 week old, he would have one bottle before bed then awake for one on a morning, time was never guaranteed.. then he started waking every 2 hours, then he would go longer stretches one night, then every 2 hours the next night, i have noticed however since putting him to bed between 8-9 he will go from him going to bed - 1-2am ish before having another bottle..
last night for examplehe went to bed at 9.15 after a bath, was up at 12.15 had a 4oz bottle while sleepy and went straight to sleep (no nappy change minimal winding) he was then up at 3.50am and had 3oz, he was sick and stayed awake (on off) until about 5.30 when he had another 2oz bottle and then up at about 7ish for a cuddle and then fell back asleep.. we was naughty and stayed asleep until about 9ish.. oopsie :)
tonight defo wont be the same though

As everyone says they're all different. As for us my lg went to two feeds (1am & 4am) at 8 weeks then one feed from 10 weeks at around 3am. She had her last bottle at 7pm ish. She gradually moved later and later until she slept through at 5 1/2 months.

Ya right now I'm doing 11am, 2am, 6am approx. it's fine for me but it be nice if he went 6 hours straight for once lol

Isabella was every 1-2 hours until 6 weeks, then fed at 9/11/2 then 6 until 9 weeks. After 9 weeks she started to cluster feed in the evening having last bottle at 11 and went until 4 am. The 4am feed was dropped at 12 weeks so has slept from 9 pm until 8 am from then. Xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->