new mum, want to bf, lots of questions!

Lizzybee

Mom to 1, StepMum to 1
Reaction score
1. Do I need to go to bf classes? I'll have to have time off work (i know im entitled to it but it makes double the work setting stuff for the person covering me) so i want to know they are really worth it!
2. My friend says its tiring and draining. Is this true? How can i deal with it?
3. I dont really want to take contraception, what is the best method while bf?
4. I get thrush regularly, will i be able to take something stronger than cream or not while bf!
5. How do I know when a breast is empty?
6. Will I really forget which one I fed from last time? My friend said she had a bobble that she wore on her wrist and swapped sides to tell her which side to go from next!

Said I had a load of questions!
Cheers in advance

I didn't take a class (ftm here also) and only had the help of a lactation consultant at the hospital after the birth. A class in addition to lc's help can't hurt though.

I read about breastfeeding a lot and pretty much prepared myself mentally that most of my time in the early days will be spent nursing baby. If you could also ensure a family member or friend can help you by bringing you food/drink while you nurse. My mom actually does one or two diaper changes each day while I shower or go to the bathroom. Also, my mom always tells me to sleep when baby sleeps!

I have no idea how to tell if a breast has emptied. But I do try to use both breasts each feeding. For example maybe 20 mins on right breast then rest on left breast, if left was less than 20 mins next feeding I start with left. Don't know if this is the right way to do it but it's how I do it lol :) I don't often forget which breast I should feed from next time but it has happened a few times I think.

1. Do I need to go to bf classes? I'll have to have time off work (i know im entitled to it but it makes double the work setting stuff for the person covering me) so i want to know they are really worth it!

I went to an hour long NHS breastfeeding workshop but to be honest you learn on the job. There was a couple of useful tips on latch which you could find out about on youtube!

2. My friend says its tiring and draining. Is this true? How can i deal with it?

I think it is a bit tiring but then it's difficitly to say how much of the tiredness is due to lack of sleep because you have a newborn!

I'm on cerazette (progesterone only) seems to be fine and my baby doesn't seem to think the milk tastes different.

4. I get thrush regularly, will i be able to take something stronger than cream or not while bf!

I would check, but quite a lot of medications are fine during breastfeeding as only trace amounts make it into the milk.

THis is a difficult one and I think it depends on boob size. I have fairly big boobs and have always found it difficult to tell when they are 'empty'. They definitely go very soft and I always feel like it is possible to know when a baby is sucking on nothing.

6. Will I really forget which one I fed from last time? My friend said she had a bobble that she wore on her wrist and swapped sides to tell her which side to go from next!

I could always tell which one I last used by giving a quick squeeze but i have a friend who tied a ribbon to bra because she couldn't tell.

Here are my two cents:

I went to a two-hour class when I was 36 weeks and it was helpful. It also helped having the midwife come around in the first few days and make sure LO was latching on okay and I was holding him right.

The first several weeks are. But I can't imagine it would be any easier with formula. Actually, the idea of having to prepare it in the middle of the night, etc. -- rather than just whip out a boob -- sounds even more tiring.

Don't know about this. We aren't doing anything as at four months PP I still don't have my period.

Don't know about this either, but I'd expect the answer given above -- so little medication actually gets in the milk I bet it would be fine.

Mine get soft.

I can tell by squeezing -- the harder one is the one I need to feed on.

Said I had a load of questions!
Cheers in advance

"Do I need to go to bf classes? I'll have to have time off work (i know im entitled to it but it makes double the work setting stuff for the person covering me) so i want to know they are really worth it!"

-- : no, sometimes the maternity ward will provide someone who will help you with it. And you can read everything you need to know like website such as https://www.kellymom.com . If you are working, you should also look into pumping.

"2. My friend says its tiring and draining. Is this true? How can i deal with it?"

-- it can be and it can be painful too (breastfeeding was painful for almost 2 months straight for me with both of my kids but I keep going and it got easier) . Drink a lot of fluid and keep snacks beside you because dehydration and hunger can be draining as well. And ask for help

"3. I dont really want to take contraception, what is the best method while bf?"

-- I used condom, used diaphragm (sp?) And currently using the no hormone copper IUD (paraguard)

"4. I get thrush regularly, will i be able to take something stronger than cream or not while bf"

-- ask your doctor...but thrush (I think it can spread to the baby mouth and your breasts) can also make breastfeeding harder and painful. Eat a lot of live active yogurt. Should help a little to prevent it. Do you take any steroid medicines like nose spray or steroid medicines for asthma. My son get thrush a lot using them and since the doctor told use to have him rinse his mouth after each use, he no longer getting thrush .

"5. How do I know when a breast is empty?"

--When your baby done eating. :) I am still breastfeeding at 18 months and my breast feel very empty. At first, I engorged a lot (and leaked a lot too...my shirt would be soaking wet) but not anymore.

"6. Will I really forget which one I fed from last time? My friend said she had a bobble that she wore on her wrist and swapped sides to tell her which side to go from next-- whem my baby was newborn, I breast did feel full if I haven't used it for a while...but your baby will get milk no matter which side you use."

--Switching breast (i believe this is known as block feeding) at each feeding is really for women who are having some breastfeeding issues. I would not worry about it and relax unless there is a problem. They still can get milk. It can be painful if the baby have not nursed on certain side for a while, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->