New patient paperwork...vaccines and chromosome screening

nicem815

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I am overwhelmed. I just got all of my new patient paperwork today.

First of all, is the screen for downs and the second screen for spina bifida necessary? How many of you opted to not have them?

Second of all, when the baby is born, which vaccines are NECESSARY for the baby? I was told I need to get the whooping cough vaccine before the baby is born.

Help? :(

The screens aren't "necessary" but personally I would like to be prepared for post-delivery if there was a chance my child had either.

And I probably wouldn't mention vaccines on any forum tbh because a lot of people get very heated in these type of discussions. My daughter got all her vaccinations, found out she is allergic to the chicken pox vaccine so she'll just have to get the chicken pox like I did when I was a kid lol

People get heated? I was vaccinated. I thought public schools require you to vaccinate. My parents always had to show proof of my vaccines. I have the whooping cough vaccine. I got it a few years ago. I don't know anything about it so I can't really help, but I'd be interested to know.

As far as screening, I'm a fan of doing anything that does not involve sticking a needle in my stomach. I can't handle that. Unless I have to. But I really don't want to.

Screenings: no you don't have to do them if you don't want to. It's a personal decision.
I will say though that with spina bifida, they can now do surgery in utero for some cases.

A whooping cough vaccine for you is important. When baby is born they will offer the HepB vaccine, and you can opt for it or not. If you aren't comfortable giving your 'hours old baby a vaccine, you can say no and get it later on if you want.

Yeah I remember when I was pregnant with my daughter how many ladies got into horrible arguments on here regarding whether they would vaccinate or not. So just warning you in advance that this thread could turn ugly, though hoping it doesn't! It seems a lot more calm on here than it was a couple years ago lol

I agree, so many people have personal opinions on vaccines and sometimes it's best just to avoid that topic altogether. Always gets heated!

But no you don't have to have any screening done that you don't feel comfortable with. Personally I have them because I'd rather be prepared if I had a lo born with either condition. Plus babies with either would need more extensive antenatal care so I'd want to think my little one was getting the care it needed. Good luck to you! You just do what you feel is best for you and your baby! :)

Hi all!
Re: vaccines--I didn't intend to start a debate or get anyone upset, this is all just new to me and I really am not sure what people are doing these days. I respect everyone's opinion no matter what--I was just looking for some clarity on the matter. But thanks for your warning!

In terms of screening--thanks for your opinions! :) My husband's insurance covers it only if I have both done. So I guess we may choose to do that....

I will be vaccinating my child. There are now 10 confirmed cases of the measles in our area because people won't vaccinate their children believing it's not necessary or it causes autism... there's a reason people live til there 100+ nowadays and bringing back awful diseases that could be prevented isn't going to help anyone. I have a family member who chooses to not vaccinate their children yet at the same time won't allow them in any hospital or even go to a normal school when the children are begging them for normal life! I see them suffering because their left out of alot of stuff normal kids do. They asked to go to a normal school and their mother asked us if we knew anything about the montessori school across the street from our public high school (biggest and best highschool in our town that everyone wants to go to) not only had we never known it was there but none of us would even know what it is... that's not a normal school and only worse because they will see all the "normal" kids across the street. I'm curious to see what happens when these kids get older and have more of a say...

I will be vaccinating my child. There are now 10 confirmed cases of the measles in our area because people won't vaccinate their children believing it's not necessary or it causes autism... there's a reason people live til there 100+ nowadays and bringing back awful diseases that could be prevented isn't going to help anyone. I have a family member who chooses to not vaccinate their children yet at the same time won't allow them in any hospital or even go to a normal school when the children are begging them for normal life! I see them suffering because their left out of alot of stuff normal kids do. They asked to go to a normal school and their mother asked us if we knew anything about the montessori school across the street from our public high school (biggest and best highschool in our town that everyone wants to go to) not only had we never known it was there but none of us would even know what it is... that's not a normal school and only worse because they will see all the "normal" kids across the street. I'm curious to see what happens when these kids get older and have more of a say...

My son is a perfectly "normal" kid, fully vaccinated, and goes to a normal, typical Montessori school. We are required each new school year to provide an up to date physical record showing vaccinations to date.

To the OP, as others have said, the whopping cough can be deadly to your newborn, which is why they vaccinate you before birth to reduce the chance of you passing it onto them.

You'll get 101 different blood draws and tests done during pregnancy, if you choose to. By rights, you can refuse any you don't want, but most of them are meant to help you be informed and alert you of any potential abnormalities (not all of them are for the baby either, such as R factor with your blood type). The spina bifida etc. isn't necessary if you don't want them, but again, it's one of those things where many parents would rather have warning and be prepared for what is to come.

The two things that you may consider refusing right after the birth of your baby, are the Heb B shot, and vitamin K. Do your homework on both, discuss the pros and cons with your midwife/OB, and make your decision.

As far as a vaccine schedule for your baby in the first year and beyond, if you intend to have a specific pediatrician, many will arrange an interview appointment with you before baby's birth so you can go over all of that. We had our son on a split and slightly delayed schedule in the first 2 years just to space them apart a bit more, but otherwise followed the recommendations.

Like I said none of us (hubby and I and a few friends that went to public schools) know what a montessori school is but it's tiny and about the size of small home...when their kids are asking to go to normal school I'm not sure that's what the had visioned. Could be an average everyday school...

Screenings are optional. Vaccines are a personal choice as well. I chose to decline both.

If I don't homeschool my kids, I will send them to a small Montessori school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->