• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New to this section! Not sure if i should be concerned about son's behaviour?

sweetsammi

1st time mummy and WTT
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this section but I wonderd if anyone could offer me any advice. Oliver is nearly 14months old. I have noticed over the past couple of months his behaviour seems to be getting more obsured, and difficult. He has lots and lots of really bad temper tantrums, he's excessively clingy and wants to be held most of the day. He will have periods of crying, moaning and even screaming at me sometimes for an unknown reason. Sometimes i have to hold him tight and rock him to calm him down. He rocks and bangs anything he can get hold of-chairs, cabinets, cupboards, doors, drawers...and he'd sooner do that then play with his toys alot of the time. He seems to get bored easilly and doesnt like cuddles much. Today he's been touching things he shouldnt and slamming/rocking and banging everything in sight and as much as i'm always telling him no he continues to do it and acts like i'm not even there. I even lost my temper a few times and raised my voice and have tried giving him a little tap on the hand and he doesnt even acknowlege me.He likes to look at lights and will try grab a lamp if he is within reach of one and has this thing about climbing up things-including people. Today he was actually trying to climb the walls- literally. He never used to sleep at night either until last month he would be awake screaming all night long. I thought all this was just a phase he might be going through but having done nurse training learning disibilities studies, i'm concerned it might be ADHD. Don't get me wrong he is a lovely, happy little boy but i just dont know whats going on here. What do you all think? x

Hi Im sorry not really have much adivse but just wanted to wish you luck and to say if you are at all worried mention it to your HV or GP and see if they can refer you for an assessment even if it just puts your mind at rest xx

I have read articles about ADHD and apparently it does not appear until 5 years. It could be just that he is a boy, and likes to get into things and such. But, here is a few questions that I was asked when my daughter was a bit older - 18 months. It was from the health unit.
Does your child look at you and make eye contact?
Does your child appear deaf at times, and does not always hear you?
Does your child point to objects, to show you what he wants, but not always for you to get?
Does your child bring items that he finds of interest to you to show you?
Does your child look to you to see what your reaction is when he sees somthing he likes?
When in a room full of strangers, does your child seek you out to find comfort?

These are some of the questions that I was asked. If you have any concerns with your answers, then I would call your family DR with your concerns. One thing about my daugther was that I was always in a bit of denial, but knew deep down that something "was wrong". It is OK to be afraid, but I think it is good to seek out the answers anyways - if anything, for peace of mind. :hug:

i don't have any advice hun my sister's wee boy was like this when he was the same age as your wee guy and he is fine. He is 15 now and taking 5 Highers at school.

My sister always thought he was getting bored as his mind and concentration went from place to place and would get so frustrated. he is actually very intelligent, very good at maths and all the sciences. Could it be your wee man is just bored? What is he like when he is outdoors?

sorry i am not much help hun
:hug:

I hope he is ok - i would take him to your health visitor and ask her. She can refer you to whoever she thinks needs to see him.

they dont tend to test children for ADHD till the child is at least 7, my son is 10 took me two years for him to be assessed for it. but he has it along with aspergers and few other things.

but if your worried i would speak to your HV see what advice she can give you x

Lilly is going through this distructive phase, she bags her head on doors etc too lol, she thinks its funny i think its just things they do at different stages, she takes tantrums like a 4 year old throws herself down etc. x

ADHD dosent tend to appear untill 4 or 5. The crying and the tantrums could just be fustration as they know what they want but cant express their wants and needs. My best advice is to vidio tape any behaviours that you think are a cause for concern as a lot of GP's and HV put it down to "its just a phase" or "bad parenting", thats whay they said to my mam about my brother, that she was just a bad mother, her argument was that he is my 3rd child. it took her years to get my brother diagnosed with ADHD and epilepsy, in the end she had to vidio him and take that in.
I dont want to alarm you but the rocking, banging, not sleeping, crying and not wanting hugs can all point to some form of autism but can be put down to other things what go with being a toddler.

Cutting out E numbers and additives can help with unwanted behaviours- im 21 and drinking cherry pop still sends me loopy.

Hope iv been helpfull.

It's not that ADHD doesn't "appear" until age five, six, or seven, it's just that depending on the doctor, they won't give a diagnosis prior to that age. In fact the criteria for diagnosis is that the behaviours / characteristics in question were observed over time in multiple settings BEFORE the age of seven. Most parents of ADHD kids say that they noticed hyperactive tendencies in their kids from an early age. Mind you, hindsight and all... and some kids are just going through phases. Do have him referred to a developmental clinic if you have concerns. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->