Newbie intro and adivce please!!!

Ethansmummy09

Reaction score
:happydance:

Hi my names Jade and on nov 9th last year my son was born at 26weeks.

Ethan was born as they think my body had a infection and wanted to protect the baby. It's the strangest, scaryist but wonderful thing i'v been through. My labour lasted 52hours and was so stressfull and scary. I gave birth natually.

Ethan was in exeter nnu for 4months. In that time we have 2 trips to bristol where he had 2 operation one as he fell extremly ill will NEC and had to have some of his intestines removed and another for a hernia.

Ethan is now nearly a year old and doing well. We have at a few trips to hospital in the first few months of him coming home but all for tiny things.

My only corncerns for my little boy is his development. He is 8-9months CORRECTED and seems to be quite vocal and rolls over really well but can't seem to sit up for more than 10secs or so and other things a 8-9month baby can do. I have friends who baby are only 7months and are starting to crawl.

Does anyone else have the same concerns for there baby? and how are everyone else's babys developping? be great to get some advice and just chat really?

Cheets
:flower:

Hi jade
Welcome to bnb

It is common for preemie babies to take a little longer to do things so try not to compare to a fullterm baby.

My little girl was born in January at 25+2 in St Michaels Bristol which I am assuming your lo had his ops? She was there for 8 weeks before being transferred to Edinburgh (my hometown). She was in hospital 100days in total.

She is now 5 1/2 month corrected and has rolled a couple of times but at the moment her only interest is eating her feet or anything else she can hold!

There is a lot of people on here with older prems who can reassure you.

Hi Jade, welcome over!!!
My Lo was 27 weeks and exactly the same, when she hit a year it all came together and as i type this she is desperately reaching for my laptop, standing at the couch!!!!

I find that although she takes a while to reach certain milestones, they all come at one time, erm...like buses and all! :)

Hi Jade, Ethan is gorgeous!
As you can see form my ticker, Molly is 21 months. She was slower than full term babies reaching her milestines as expected, but is now just about caught up and overtaken in some areas. I agree that they all come at once like buses! I was really worries about Molly's speech for ages, but she chatters away all the time now! Ethan will get there, don't worry!

I was really worries about Molly's speech for ages, but she chatters away all the time now!!

Oh god so glad you said that, been thinking about that tonight!

Hi Jade & Ethan - fantastic photo for your avvy!!

Try not to compare Ethan's development with other babies born around the same time, and even with other babies of the same level of prematurity - everybody's baby is different.

My little boy Andrew (born at 29+1 with IUGR) is crawling around like a pro, but refuses to learn to sit up on his own .... It's as if he doesn't want to stay in one place long enough!! (And television isn't working as a distraction!) He's also not really babbling, we're still at the moan & squeal phase with plenty of raspberries.

Jade I wanted to chime in and put in my 2cents.

My little girl was born at 23wks 4days. So right now she is 11 months corrected and she is doing most things that a 10month would do and some things that an 11month old would do. Far as the sitting up, it took her awhile, but she did do it. I want to say right around when she started Occupational Therapy is when she started sitting up, so around 10months actual. But she setup on her own for the first time when she was 9months. Each child period is different. Some full term babies do things later also, I think more emphasis is put on a preemie. But in due time, he will get there.

Jade I wanted to chime in and put in my 2cents.

My little girl was born at 23wks 4days. So right now she is 11 months corrected and she is doing most things that a 10month would do and some things that an 11month old would do. Far as the sitting up, it took her awhile, but she did do it. I want to say right around when she started Occupational Therapy is when she started sitting up, so around 10months actual. But she setup on her own for the first time when she was 9months. Each child period is different. Some full term babies do things later also, I think more emphasis is put on a preemie. But in due time, he will get there.

might be e having a dumb moment but whats Occupational Therapy?

also like to say everyone today he sat up for a few mins by himself im so proud! xxxx

Abby was 29 weeks and is now nearly 17 months actual and she still doesn't sit particularly well.

She was very very late in doing it at all. It took all day sitting with Granny to get her to try it properly. She still has her hands firmly on her lap / ankles when she does it.

She hated tummy time too and isn't crawling or cruising or walking etc. We're seeing a physiotherapist but according to her there isn't actually anything "wrong" with her, it just seems to be a confidence thing.

It will happen and as others have said, try and avoid comparisons. Our little miracles have shown time and time again, they'll do everything in their own time.

Hiya :) Welcome to bnb and what a gorgeous lil man you have there :)

Sounds like he's doing fab, as others have said preemies can take longer to do things. Ella's only 4months but im trying not to get bogged down over what she can or cant do im just going off that she's happy and growing and getting bigger and stronger and doing new things every day :)

Ethansmummy, i have a question about the nec that your baby was going through...right now i have my baby in the nicu for the same problems he has fell ill to nec and has had two surgeries the first was to remove about 10cc of his intestine. Im really happy to hear your baby is doin wonderfully well after the nec experience it gives me great hope :)

Hiya Abrahamsmom, It is so scary when they fall in with NEC but the doctor know exactly what they are looking for and are so quick to treat it. i hope you baby gets better soon. How prem was he born? and how old is he now? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->