Newbie please help

Bumpontherun

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been looking through the threads but everyone seems to have older babies than me so I guess you've all been through the early days. I could really do with some reassurance.

My baby Helen is 8 days old today. She latched on really well within the 1st hour and feeding has been going really well. My milk came in on day 3 and I've been to breast feeding clinic who said I had a really good supply and were happy with my positioning. Helen has plenty wet and dirty nappies.

Problem is that it's not unusual for her to want to feed for 3 hours at a time. Especially at night. I will see her rooting and she will feed from both boobs, she might fall asleep on the nipple but when I try to move her she wakes up and starts rooting again. She doesn't settle well in her moses basket at night so I maybe only get 2-3 hrs sleep a night and I'm finding myself falling asleep during feeds as I'm just so exhausted. We usually have at least 1 daytime feed of 3 hrs or so too. Normal feeds are maybe around 30mins and I am trying to only feed from one boob at a time.

Is this normal? If it is then that's fine but I'm really worried that there is something wrong with me or her, or is this just the way it goes in the first few weeks. Husband suggested that I should take her off when she feeds for ages and try and distract her but usually she just gets upset if you try that. Look at the baby club threads everyone else seems to be getting into routines and I feel like we are just floundering helplessly and husband can't do much to help because he doesn't have any boobs:cry:

any advice please...........

A routine at 8 days? Please don't even worry about that!

You're doing well! Babies do feed what seems like non-stop at first, but it does get better as your milk supply regulates and your LO gets more efficient at sucking it out! Have you tried laying down to feed? If you research it you can find how to do it safely so you can nap together. It can help no end for long feeds like that.

Ilana fed all the time at first but now can happily go hours between feeds - it gets less constant, I promise. It sounds like you're doing well, keep at it!

PS You don't have to only feed from 1 boob at a time, you can offer the other once one is done... Also, your LO feeding at night is to put an order in for the next day, as prolactin levels are higher at night, but it does get better!

When you feed her from both at night how long is she feeding on each for and is she sucking and swallowing or just using your nipple as a dummy of sorts?

Congratulations on your baby!!

It isnt unusual for babies to feed that long at all, mine still has days where I just cannot get her off my boobs for love nor money, she just wants one after the other after the other after the other, its a constant cycle.

When babies are very new they only have very tiny tummies but they are also growing the fastest they ever will do in their lives, so to me it makes sense that they need to drink lots and lots as they are constantly using up the milk to grow.
BF babies also drink more often, as our milk is so specifically tailored to what our babies need and when that it is really easily absorbed into their digestive systems. The downside to this of course is that they need feeding more often!!

If Helen is putting on weight, then I really wouldnt worry to much about it.

She is only very very new and is still getting used to feeling hunger pains for the first time. she'll also enjoy the closeness of being next to you as close as she can be now she is out.

Dont worry about routines yet, feed when she wants for as long as she wants and she will fall into her own routine when she is ready.
Make sure you have lots of snacks and drinks handy when you sit down for a feed, and if you can manage it, dry lying down to feed her, that way you can get a nap at the same time if you need it. It was a life saver for me.

All the best, and talk to your midwife/health visitor if you're concerned at all xxx

I still sometimes only get 3 hours sleep! Totally norm! 3 hours isnt that bad, Tristan used to feed 1 and a half hour on each boob, then it went to 40 each boob, and sometimes it still is but hes getting better an occasionaly only does 20 mins on each boob. He will always take both, i cant get away with only one, so this is also normal! for the first couple of weeks it will feel like non stop but thats because yr lo is trying to get more milk, like becstar said.

As for routine, you can kiss that out the window, us bfers dont do routines! Its all about demand and supply.

Congrats on yr lo!

xx

hi honey,
congrats on your new baby!!!
i can only reiterate what the others have said!!! have just sat on the sofa with Billy for 9 hours before in a circle of feeding and power napping, he does go longer at night, but will cluster feed in the evening to stock up. It does get better the 1st 6 weeks is so so hard, but you sound like you are doing fabulously. Dont panic about routine Helen still isnt used to the big scary world around her. You are all she knows and wants to be near/with you.
keep going- it took me ages to properly establish bf exclusively, but really is worth it.
xxxxx

When you feed her from both at night how long is she feeding on each for and is she sucking and swallowing or just using your nipple as a dummy of sorts?

I always feed her for at least 30 mins on one before I offer her the other, the hospital told me I should do this so she gets the hindmilk as well as the foremilk, if I squeeze my nipple and there is still milk coming out I will leave her on the first one longer and then if she empties the 2nd I'll switch her back to the first. She does seem to be sucking effectively a lot of the time although if she is on for 3 hrs then there is some falling asleep, falling off the nipple, comfort sucking going on.

Thanks for all your lovely replies everyone, I read them yesterday but couldn't respond as I spent most of the evening breastfeeding! It was awful as MIL and SIL were here and kept asking if the could hold her and then whenever they did she just rooted and skwaked and got more and more upset until I had to take her back, I felt that they thought I was hogging my baby:wacko:

Anyway had a major breakthrough last night. between midnight and 9:30 she slept in her moses basket for about an hour and a half and then 2 almost 3 hour stretches. She just woke up for short feeds, a change and a cuddle in between. It was amazing and I feel so much better today. I know it won't be like this every night straight away but I have at least re charged my batteries and feel like things are getting better:happydance:

Thanks for all your support, last night I was cyring and telling DH I couldn't carry on BF but today I feel much more positive and am really loving feeding her again.:flower:

Glad t see ur feeling better.
I found that once my supply kicked in properly the feed times dropped dramatically, when i still had just colostrum the feeeds were lasting 3/4 hours at a time, then i noticed a properly mily smile and since then a feed is usually about half hour for us.
Good luck, wishing u plenty more nights like last night! :D xxxxxxx

Glad it was better last night! Sometimes all you need is a night of rest and everything looks brighter the next morning.

My daughter was exactly the same, she just always wanted the boob. To the point my OH was hurt he could barely hold her.

The next part I may have to whisper! LOL. Eventually - when she was a week and 5 days I gave her a dummy. She slept for 4 straight hours! Now if she's rooting really badly I give her her dummy and if she won't take it or spits it out fairly soon I know she really is hungry, but more often than not she will settle with her dummy. It give my nipples a few hours break!

I know thoughts on dummies are mixed though - but I don't know how long I'd of lasted if she didn't have one as she was feeding every hour or so for 45 mins! I couldn't go out or anything as she was always wanting food.

Hi,
I am glad u r feeling better. I can't really add anymore advice than what is written above but just wanted to say well done for sticking with it! I have been in tears many a time and exhausted from 'constant' feeding for hours on end but I promise it gets much easier! Seb is 7 weeks old tmw and last night he slept for 4&1/2 hours in one go!!
Is there a bf support group in your area? If so I recommend going along as that is what has kept me going ... Getting support and advice from lots of bf mums is brilliant!!
Good luck xx bonnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->