newbie to natural birthing

cherry_pie

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 22wks pregnant with my first child. I.want to do things as natural as possible, though will be in hospital. I am reading up on as much as I can as I have so much to learn. I am hoping for to use a birthing pool, though th hospital said they only have 2 and if they are being used when i happen to go into labour if its different from my due date then I can't use it. I really hope to use only gas and air but am a little afraid to talk to my midwife yet as when it comes to it I may not be strong enough to not take the drugs. I am doing what I can now by swimming and pregnancy yoga. I was reading up on cord clamping and was wondering roughly the cord takes to stop pulsating naturally before clamping? I think the hospital normally sticks to midwife unless there is complications in which the consultant needs called. I am worried as this is my 1st baby and also because I feel as though I'm going against the system a little by wanting a natural birth. I have considered a doula but have no idea how much they cost and if i could afford it. Sorry for any typos or if this sounds disjointed but I'm in my mobile. Basically I'm looking for some advice as to where to start with planning a natural hospital birth and how to go about writing my birth plan. Thanks in advance

Welcome to the board!

Cords vary in time they take to finish pulsing but 20 mins is about average I've found. The first hour after your baby is born FLIES BY!

Doula's in the UK (I am assuming youre in the UK!) depend on the area and experience. Have a look at https://doula.org.uk/ for your local ones. :)

It's not going against the grain to want a natural birth with your first! Have supported first time mums at home and in hospital who had 100% natural births! :)

Welcome!

I had a planned homebirth turned hospital birth for my first and it was great! I felt by reading positive birthing stories and Ina May books that I was really calm about the whole thing.
It's not crazy to want a natural delivery for your first at all!:thumbup:
I ended up exhausted and on pethadine in the pool which was good, got a chance to sleep. But I arrived at hospital in transition so I laboured at home really well before deciding to move on. By the time he was born I was drug free and I feel good about the way the experience went.

Plan your natural hospital birth, the key is a supportive midwife! I also got delayed cord "clamping" though his cord was tied with flax and cut with Maori green stone *sigh* just magical :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->