Newbie to PCOS & Metformin

MildPCOS

We are TEAM BLUE!
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Tara, I'm 27 and was recently diagnosed with mild PCOS. I got married last July and went off the pill in October of 2011. My period never did return and after the acceptable 'wait' time my slew of tests began. To my surprise, test after test came back normal - with the only one being slightly odd was my ultrasound which showed several small follicules.

I was referred to an endocrinologist here and recently seen her. She determined that the only thing she can diagnose me with is mild PCOS. I don't have any of the PCOS symptoms however except for total loss of my period and the small follicules on my ovaries. I am a normal, healthy BMI (I am 5'6" and 141 lbs) - I excise regularly, eat good, don't smoke, do drugs or drink. So according to the doctor, I am somewhat of an anomaly when it comes to the PCOS as most woman seem to suffer much worse side effects like the higher BMI, excess hormones, hair etc.

She gave me a prescription for Metformin and have referred both my husband and I to a fertility clinic, but that is going to take awhile for us to get in, so I am taking the Metformin in the meantime to hope that regulates (or gives me a period at all!)

Has anyone else been in my situation on here - I am not getting a period at all, I have no way to know when and if I am ovulating and the Metformin is relatively new so I can judge

Not completely in your situation, but similar in some ways. :) I have pcos in every sense of the words, so I'm unlike you in that. However after coming off of BC, I had no cycles at all either. The metformin (and in my case change of diet and loss of weight) had a lot to do with getting them back for me. Question for you. I've not had experience with this, but there is another lady on here that is telling about her experiences with no cycles and vitamin D. Do you know if they happened to check your vitamin D levels? Also thyroid? I'm assuming they probably checked that, but I'll ask just in case they didn't. Thyroid can also screw up cycles if it's out of balance.

I hope the metformin works for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->