• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Newborn carrier for a beginner?

Loozle

Reaction score
Any recommendations? I'd really like to baby wear this time. If there is one in particular that is good for breastfeeding also, that would be handy! :flower:

A simple stretchy wrap is the best for the little ones! Tons of videos on YouTube explaining the simple knot you have to do. After a bit of practice it becomes like a second skin !

Here's my daughter at 3 days old. Both my kids fell asleep easily in it, snuggled and warm, for hours. Leaves you free to, well, do whatever you want really :thumbup:

The huge thread on baby wearing is very inspiring!! I think everyone would baby wear if they browsed all those beautiful picture s

Attachments

• IMG_20150110_225740.jpg
    IMG_20150110_225740.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 3
all depends on what you are after. My personal fav has to be woven but there are lots of other options:

stretchy
mei tai
buckles

what is it that you're after? do you plan on wearing your little one past those first few months? if so i'd say if you like a stretchy invest in a woven... be warned though, it becomes an expensive experience with all those beautiful wraps out there :haha:

also, remember when babywearing follow the T.I.C.K.S guidelines for safe baby wearing

Tight
In view at all times
Close enough to kiss
Keep chin off chest
Supported back

it's also recommended now that babies have legs out :) and remember to have babies legs in the M position to ensure comfort for you and baby :) (knees higher than bum)

With a stretchy wrap you can get it all wrapped and tied and THEN you can put baby in! And get them out again easily. I loved my moby wrap.

I agree with pichi. The wrap has worked great for me and the only bad thing about it is you can't use it in hot weather. You can breastfeed in it but it's not exactly ideal for that. What works well for breastfeeding is a sling but I don't like the sling as a carrier because it's more difficult to adjust securely and I always feel it's not positioned safely enough.

Have you looked into caboo close? It's a stretchy soft material but it's got rings on the side so you it's very easy to pop baby in and then tighten. I used it for both my Los and leant it to friends who loved it too. Great for up to 6 months in my experience but too stretchy past that point which is when I got a woven ring sling.

Do you have a sling library near you? You can borrow a few different ones to see what suits plus they will help you make sure you do it safely.

I like the idea of a Moby, but I didn't like tying it. I had read that you could tie it on at home and then pop baby in when you got to the store or wherever, but I found that sitting down would mess up the whole setup and I'd have to retie it anyway. And where we lived when I discovered this wrap was really rainy and wet, so the bottoms were always getting gross.

I discovered the Baby Ktan and have been in absolute LOVE LOVE LOVE ever since. It's the same idea as the Moby, but without the tying. I love that you can put baby in while sitting, like if they pass out while you're sitting down or something, and take them out too. I have three of them now (well, they're all loaned out) and will probably get another with this baby too since my oldest two are a size small and my newest is a size extra small and fits better than the other two. You definitely want a tight fit, so size down if you're in between sizes.

Here is Dd3 in the extra small Ktan at 2 months old.
https://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s465/oursnoopydog/bk1.jpg

And in just half of the small Ktan a little older. You can tell that it's kind of too loose. And obviously only half of the Ktan isn't safe. I keep my hand on them if I only wear half, usually it's just while I'm sitting.
https://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s465/oursnoopydog/bk2.jpg

I also make ring slings (to give away locally) and I like it too. I didn't start that until recently though, so aside from trying one out with #1 when he was brand new, I haven't used it with a newbie yet. I don't like them laying down in any carrier, I prefer them to be upright, so that's what I'll do with my ring slings too. And for making that myself, I prefer medium rings over larges since I feel like a large takes up too much space on my chest/shoulder area.

I love woven wraps. Many can be used from birth through toddlerhood. Moby's and K'tans are great for NB's but not really comfortable after 15 lbs or so. Ring slings are also fantastic for NB's. They were my favorite to nurse in. They are also great for while out and about because they are so easy to get on and off. You could wear out of the house and pop baby in but it's so easy to put on that there's no need to do that really.

I had a boba sleepy wrap (just like a moby) with DS and I loved it, but I'm eyeing a baby k'tan this time around!

IMG_7244%2520%25281%2529.JPG

IMG_20130430_113254_291.jpg

He was around 2-3 months and 7-8lbs in those, so "newborn" size even though he was a couple months old (he was a 3lb15oz newborn!)

This will be my first but im planning on buying a boba wrap :)

Once you try a woven you won't turn back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->