newborn feeding all the time...

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
My little girl is permanently on my breasts. She might suck for 2-3mins then fall asleep and if I try & put her down she wakes & cries so we go round in circles. Other times she will feed 10-20 mins drifting in to sleep.

I can't even get an hour between feeds and I can't get her to settle anywhere but on me. She is only 2 days old so I am hoping this is normal.

I don't want to co sleep so how can I get her to stay asleep when I move her to her moses basket? my 19m old is being neglected by me. Dh is helping but I really need to rest when she is asleep but I can't!

Completely normal! She's trying to bring your milk in. I take it it's not in yet?

One night my little guy was on and off (mostly on) for 7 hours. Oh my God I thought I was going to lose my mind!

It will get better, I promise. We turned a corner at around 2 weeks. Now my little man only feeds for about 5 minutes each time and he's done, he's been this way for about a month. The marathon feeding sessions will gradually get shorter.

On getting her to stay asleep - I think the only thing that would guarantee this is unfortunately co-sleeping. My baby sleeps in my bed still. Other than that you could try putting a top that smells of you in the basket or warming it up with a hot water bottle beforehand. But it's only natural for her to want to be with you at this point.

I would say se is not feeding long enough due to falling asleep. When you feed try a few things stripping her down and take your top off so there is skin to skin but she is also a little chilled so she will stay awake, a Luke warm face washer dab the back of her neck or on her face, tickle her feet. My son fell asleep all the time as A: he was jaundice and B: we had a really hard time with latch so it was exhausting for him so he would fall asleep. She should be feeding for about 30-40 minutes depending on the baby. Good luck and if you have a lactation consultant in your area maybe contact them and have one come to your house and show you or talk to you about some techniques to help.

Yep that's how newborns are!

Keep her awake during feeds, tickle her feet, touch the lobe of her ear, talk to her.

My advice on getting some rest is side lying feeds in bed, even if you don't sleep you put your feet up for a while, close your eyes and relax while baby eats.

My lo is nearly 3 weeks and still like this, slowly getting better. Altho at night it's not as bad and he can normally do 3 hourly feeds but that is only with me co sleeping, if I didn't i would get next to no sleep! She will gradually get better. Congrats on ur new baby ;)

Completely normal! Look up cluster feeding. Hang in there! It will get easier i promise :) congrats!

I'm working on it and trying to do just one feed at a time, step by step.

I've started writing down feeds duration etc so I can start seeing whats happening.

She has given me 3 wet nappies today so I know she is getting colostrum as I can't express it myself for the blister pain. Ouch!!!

Very very normal.

My DD slept on me until she was about 6 weeks old.

Completely normal - She is trying to bring your milk in. I felt like I fed constantly day 2 and 3 and then my milk came in on day 4.

I'm working on it and trying to do just one feed at a time, step by step.

I've started writing down feeds duration etc so I can start seeing whats happening.

She has given me 3 wet nappies today so I know she is getting colostrum as I can't express it myself for the blister pain. Ouch!!!

:hugs: I am with you here with my 5 day old. She fed all night (10pm until 4am) last night but has had two 3 hour stretches during the day today. During the night we have a 40 min cycle of cry - feed - put down asleep - wake - cry and repeat!

My mw suggested popping a hot water bottle in her basket when she wasn't so that when I put her down the basket is warm. I haven't tried this yet as not sure I've it a free hand to be wielding hot water bottles!

My dd is almost 4 so does sort of understand but I feel I haven't seen her all week. But I am finding bf more convenient than ff as there is no prep / sterilising.

I am taking it one day at a time. My first target was 3 days old which is where I got to with dd1. My new target is a week.

:hugs:

Yup- day 9 here and DS is constantly on my boob, I unlatch him and he fusses until he gets it back. These stages come and go but it's tough when they are so little!

Well I decided perhaps you were right and she wasn't feeding long enough per feed so I've started stripping her down and also offering my other breast after a nappy change.
I wrote down her evening feeds using this technique and the feeds seem to be lasting approx 25mins with relatches etc. She settled in her moses for half the night and with me the second half of the night.

Latch still needs work as nipples still really bad. I was crying with pain at some feeds.

Yup- day 9 here and DS is constantly on my boob, I unlatch him and he fusses until he gets it back. These stages come and go but it's tough when they are so little!

I think it's best to let him unlatch himself as that's a better indicator that he's finished. Though if he is anything like mine he'll wake up again and remember he wanted pudding!

I think it's best to let him unlatch himself as that's a better indicator that he's finished. Though if he is anything like mine he'll wake up again and remember he wanted pudding!

I wish he would, but he hasn't unlatched once himself, even when fast asleep. The most he's done is come down on the nipple and make it painful so I have to unlatch him :dohh:

I wish he would, but he hasn't unlatched once himself, even when fast asleep. The most he's done is come down on the nipple and make it painful so I have to unlatch him :dohh:

Yeah we have marathon sessions... He fed for over an hour and a half earlier but eventually he did unlatch himself once he was finished. He was probably sleep feeding for a good hour of that but if I unlatch him before he is done he wakes up and wants back on after 10 minutes which I find more frustrating than just letting him feed till he's finished. I just make him wait a couple of minutes till I'm ready and set up to feed... I get the remote control to hand, a cup of tea, glass of water and a small snack then settle down with our pillow for the duration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->